U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The 2nd best Downtown in Colorado is....
Colorado Springs 9 19.57%
Boulder 17 36.96%
Pueblo 4 8.70%
Fort Collins 7 15.22%
Grand Junction 1 2.17%
Durango 4 8.70%
Other, please elaborate in a posting! 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM

9,402 posts, read 18,238,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
FYI the steel mill is not in downtown but the south side and is one of the main reason Pueblo is here. In fact they are the most profitable they have been in their 140 year history and has helped "build the west" and continues to do so today.
OK, how's the green chile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 05:13 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,020,776 times
Wink Colorado as Pueblo

Quote:
Existing Components of the RTA Project already attract a substantial level of out-of-state tourism visits, over 300,000 visitors annually, with an estimated 20 to 30 percent coming from out-of-state.

Thanks. Pueblo is more dynamic than I imagined.

Would also mention that if all other Coloradoans had half the enthusiasm for the welfare of this state as obviously expressed here for Pueblo, it would surely be in finer shape.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,959,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
OK, how's the green chile?
Very good.

Pueblo is home to a top 10 festival in downtown that has the chile.

Here is a link to the web page:

Loaf 'N Jug Chile & Frijoles Festival in Pueblo, Colorado - An annual festival of food, fun and chile peppers in Pueblo, Colorado

Old 03-08-2013, 05:49 PM

10,627 posts, read 11,023,385 times
Quote:
I disagree with this, especially with Pueblo. With a MSA of 160,000 people Pueblo really is a small city and with the amentias downtown has it has a "city" feel more then a "town" feel to it.
There is a lot more to a place feeling like a small city or small town than population. Pueblo FEELS like a large town. Driving through it one can see that a sizable number of people live there. But does it feel like a city? Not at all in my opinion. Overall it feels like a large town, nothing more. Downtown Pueblo has come a long way, but it is not a better afternoon destination than Downtown Boulder, Fort Collins, or Colorado Springs. And nowhere near as neat as some of the smaller downtowns in Colorado, such as Salida, Durango, and some of the mountain towns.

Quote:
I mean just look at the grant application for the convention center/ Riverwalk that was approved. It will consist of doubling the size of the convention center to over 100,000 square feet and adding on a arena that can be used for concerts and larger conventions as well as for the PBR University. How many "towns" have anything like that in their downtown?
I'm talking present day, not future. I do hope that the funding remains in tact and these projects are completed, as I do agree that they are good for the community. But I still doubt that this will push Pueblo from "town" to "city."

Quote:
Not to mention the performing arts center and performing arts theater along with the business district and historic shopping district. I know downtown Denver is in another league (for now) but I would say that downtown Pueblo is a crown jewel for the state as well and attracts many out of state visitors and that was why we got the first grant as well because the state agrees with that.
Denver will always be in another league than EVERY other Colorado city. Pueblo is nowhere close to that league and will not be for the foreseeable future. And that's fine. Pueblo is an up and coming place that is doing good things. It doesn't have to be a big city or even a small one to be a great place.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
There is a lot more to a place feeling like a small city or small town than population. Pueblo FEELS like a large town. Driving through it one can see that a sizable number of people live there. But does it feel like a city? Not at all in my opinion. Overall it feels like a large town, nothing more. Downtown Pueblo has come a long way, but it is not a better afternoon destination than Downtown Boulder, Fort Collins, or Colorado Springs. And nowhere near as neat as some of the smaller downtowns in Colorado, such as Salida, Durango, and some of the mountain towns.
You and I have a gentleman's disagreement here.

Quote:
Denver will always be in another league than EVERY other Colorado city. Pueblo is nowhere close to that league and will not be for the foreseeable future. And that's fine. Pueblo is an up and coming place that is doing good things. It doesn't have to be a big city or even a small one to be a great place.
Always is a long time. I suspect in 25-50 years you will see the downtown's in Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and Fort Collins continue to grow and give Denver a run for their money. Especially once the HSR is complete and the southern hub is in downtown Pueblo.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 PM

10,627 posts, read 11,023,385 times
Quote:
You and I have a gentleman's disagreement here.
Well it won't be the first time for us, I guess.

Quote:
Always is a long time. I suspect in 25-50 years you will see the downtown's in Pueblo, Colorado Springs, and Fort Collins continue to grow and give Denver a run for their money. Especially once the HSR is complete and the southern hub is in downtown Pueblo.
Yes, always IS a long time. But until any of those cities adds a world class performing arts center, or become home to a MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL teams (and all the requisite stadiums and arenas associated therewith) as well as add a nice complement of 4 star hotels and restaurants, Denver will always be in a league far above them.

PS: HSR is a horrible idea, will not even be close to cost effective (even in Japan and China where HSR rider volume is highest in the world it doesn't pay for itself and is heavily subsidized by the tax payers) and is likely just a pipe dream for Colorado. I would definitely not count on it coming in anytime soon. If ever.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Well it won't be the first time for us, I guess.

Yes, always IS a long time. But until any of those cities adds a world class performing arts center, or become home to a MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL teams (and all the requisite stadiums and arenas associated therewith) as well as add a nice complement of 4 star hotels and restaurants, Denver will always be in a league far above them.
All 3 cities have world class performing arts centers, good restaurants and Pueblo is home to the states second largest publically owned convention center with hotels. This is now. From what I have seen and read a lot will change in Colorado especially when the HSR is built in the next 25-50 years. Downtown Denver will grow but so will the downtown's of Pueblo, Colorado Springs and Fort Collins and while they will still be smaller they might be in the same class. I mean 50 years ago downtown Denver was not in the class it is in today.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-08-2013 at 06:24 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM

5,439 posts, read 8,110,118 times
Quote:
All 3 cities have world class performing arts centers, good restaurants and Pueblo is home to the states second largest publically owned convention center with hotels. This is now. From what I have seen and read a lot will change in Colorado especially when the HSR is built in the next 25-50 years. Downtown Denver will grow but so will the downtown's of Pueblo, Colorado Springs and Fort Collins and while they will still be smaller they might be in the same class. I mean 50 years ago downtown Denver was not in the class it is in today.
What makes you think this? I don't believe so. Personally, I don't think they have to be on Denver's level to be decent downtowns. However, I don't think any city in CO will ever match Denvers downtown. Not by a long shot, really.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM

529 posts, read 1,250,201 times
I enjoy Downtown Colorado Springs, it's small enough to get around easily and has everything you need or want to do. I havn't spent much time in downtown Ft. Collins or Pueblo, but I've heard they have become very nice places. I've never liked Boulder for a number of reasons, but that's just me.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:36 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
Some of you might remember the 1970 movie, Suppose They Gave A War and Nobody Came. I think of that title everytime I visit downtown Grand Junction .... Suppose They Gave Us A really First Rate Downtown And Nobody Came. To my tastes, Grand Junction has a really nice little downtown, but unless there is some downtown event, there's hardly anyone there. The sidewalks are mostly empty. Seems that most residents prefer the big box stores and the glitter of the strip mall eyesore over the simple elegance of downtown Grand Junction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or