U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The 2nd best Downtown in Colorado is....
Colorado Springs 9 19.57%
Boulder 17 36.96%
Pueblo 4 8.70%
Fort Collins 7 15.22%
Grand Junction 1 2.17%
Durango 4 8.70%
Other, please elaborate in a posting! 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:52 PM

5,439 posts, read 8,106,600 times

Advertisements

We all know that Denver takes the #1 spot (by far) in the state. But I still think there are a few others that should be taken into consideration. I think that there are only 5 real contenders for the second spot. I was going to include the Denver Tech Center, but that's not a real Downtown imo. Plus it would probably blow the others away.

Boulder, Pueblo, Grand Junction, Colorado Springs, or Ft. Collins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,594,540 times
None of those you listed, I'm Thinking downtown Wray.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Good poll, thanks for doing it.

I added Durango to the list, I found it rather nice....stay at the General Palmer, walk to good eats, walk to an old time real-deal steam train....life is good....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,019,284 times
Wink You mean some of these?

You mean 2nd best after Estes Park?

I voted for Boulder, in thinking of its outdoor pedestrian mall of Pearl Street. Suppose Denver may outclass it in some respects, but even Boulder is bulging at the seams in population.

Serious about Estes Park, although allowing it would have contention from many another fair town. Two that come to mind are Crested Butte and Creede. Crested Butte is kind of like a miniature Breckenridge, bedecked in Victorian gingerbread, rather cute and cozy. Creede is not only historical but squeezed into some notable landscape. But, while at it, do not overlook the faded history along Blair Street in Silverton, with a good sized mountain marking the four points of the compass at the edges of town. Nor the postcard locations of Ouray and Telluride, each with well tended historical downtowns.

Sometimes, in Estes Park, it is kind of hard to see the town for all the tourists about. Nevertheless a marvelous view to be had in any direction. Its compact downtown in many respects matches the idealized notions many have of the perfect town (if not looking too closely within and realizing much of the wares are tourist oriented). But remove most of the tourists and quiet all down in winter, and with a new snow it is the very picture of a quaint mountain town.

As said, there would be a lot of competition in that. Denver, aside from its size and obvious attractions, has its work cut out for it.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 PM

5,439 posts, read 8,106,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Good poll, thanks for doing it.

I added Durango to the list, I found it rather nice....stay at the General Palmer, walk to good eats, walk to an old time real-deal steam train....life is good....
Thanks! And I hear Durango is a pretty good one too. Especially considering it's size.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
You can't beat the excitement of downtown Telluride!

Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 PM

13,292 posts, read 25,459,767 times
I write in Ouray, too.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Talking Downtown Pueblo for sure

I am biased but I agree that Denver has the best downtown in the state but just as Denver is the best by far I think Pueblo's is the second best by far.

Let me make my case.

First I will talk about what Pueblo does not have. Highrise's. We have a few but nothing like in downtown Denver.

This is Main Street and a few of the highrises we do have.

Now I will go into what Pueblo's downtown has.

It has the only urban Riverwalk in the state. It is home to the Professional Bull Riders World Headquarters (PBR), large out door amphitheater, convention center, restaurants, condos etc.

This was a 4th of July concert at the Riverwalk.

This is the PBR building on the Riverwalk.

Downtown Pueblo is home to some great festivals and is a top 10 city in the nation for festivals.

This is one of the festivals in downtown by the Riverwalk.

Pueblo has a great historic area:

This is Union Avenue.

Union Ave.

This is the historic courthouse and in my opinion one of the best looking buildings in the state.

Downtown Pueblo, also, has a mall that was built back in the 1950's. Located in midtown it is one of the oldest malls in the state and has a bowling alley, restaurants, shops etc.

Pueblo is big on the arts and downtown is the center of that.

This is a recent article from the Colorado Springs Independent:

Colorado Springs must feel like Jan Brady right now. Pueblo! Pueblo! Pueblo! Always getting the arts and culture awards, that Pueblo. Grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, grants from the Boettcher Foundation and now, the 2013 Governor's Arts Award from Colorado Creative Industries.

The link: Aspen, Pueblo win 2013 Governor's Arts Awards | IndyBlog

These awards are for what Pueblo is doing downtown in the new creative arts district.

One of the big projects is to remodel city/ Memorial Mall. Memorial Hall is the performing arts theater for Pueblo and the total cost of the combined projects is over 40 million dollars.

This is a picture of the work on the building. It will be completed in May.

This is one of the local theater places.

This is the library which has won numerous awards.

This is the baseball stadium in downtown.

This is one of the museums in downtown.

This is the Sangre De Cristo Art Center complex in downtown.

This is the Buell Children's Museum in downtown. Its part of the Sangre De Cristo Art Center.

Pueblo, also, got the regional truism grant. It will double the size of the convention center, build a arena to be a university for bull riding and when not in use for that it will be part of the convention center so they can attract even larger conventions.

This is a article from the Denver Westowrd that talks about it:

This morning the Colorado Economic Development Commission will hear an update on the Regional Tourism Act award made to Aurora last May, two weeks before Gaylord Entertainment pulled the plug on an $800 million convention/hotel complex, sending the city scrambling for a replacement that's yet to appear. But Pueblo, the other RTA prize recipient, is moving ahead on expanding its riverwalk/convention center, complete with a Professional Bull Riders University. In fact, Pueblo is on a roll right now.

The link: Aurora still reeling from Gaylord development pull-out, but Pueblo's rolling - Denver - News - The Latest Word

This is Pueblo's downtown hospital.

This is one of the new projects starting up in downtown.

They are going to make a alley walkable in the historic part of downtown.

Longer term they will connect the Riverwalk to the baseball stadium and lake in downtown. Plus Pueblo will be the hub between the New Mexico and Colorado high speed rail lines at the train depot in downtown. Both of those should be completed in the next 25 to 50 years and while that seems like a long time is not when it comes to urban planning. While these projects do not help downtown now I think it shows that Pueblo is working to make downtown a better place and a showcase for the state. Will downtown Pueblo give downtown Denver a run for their money? Check back in 25 years.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-05-2013 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I write in Ouray, too.
I've added a category for OTHER....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
^ Thanks! I just voted for "other." IMO, DENVER is the next best downtown since the best one is obviously Boulder!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or