U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 AM

8 posts, read 8,667 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Me and my fiancee are looking at moving from Texas sometime around july/august of 2013. She has a mathematics degree and a k-8 math certification with an ESL addition. I have an M.S in Library Science, k-12 School Library certification with graduate credit in storytelling, two B.A's, a 4-8 Certification and several years of teaching experience.

We are looking at areas to move to but are uncertain of what the jobs outlook for colorado are, housing, and entertainment. We are both avid gamer , sci-fi/fantasy, and anime fans and definitely look for something more then whats available in our part of Texas. We have two pets so we definitely need someplace that will accept them as well.

Thank you all for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:35 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,013,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolder View Post
Hi all,

Me and my fiancee are looking at moving from Texas sometime around july/august of 2013. She has a mathematics degree and a k-8 math certification with an ESL addition. I have an M.S in Library Science, k-12 School Library certification with graduate credit in storytelling, two B.A's, a 4-8 Certification and several years of teaching experience.

We are looking at areas to move to but are uncertain of what the jobs outlook for colorado are, housing, and entertainment. We are both avid gamer , sci-fi/fantasy, and anime fans and definitely look for something more then whats available in our part of Texas. We have two pets so we definitely need someplace that will accept them as well.

Thank you all for your help.
Hope you're not planning to teach English.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:46 AM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
Apply for jobs first and move wherever you get them. There are lots of threads here on teaching jobs and license procedures.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 AM

CAVA1990, she is certified as an ESL teacher, and to be honest all of the schools I've taught at have strong multilanguage communities.

Dogmama50, sadly there is a lot of emotional weight for us where we are involving several personal tragedies. We know we are moving the only question is when and where, not being there is kind of problematic for job interviews. I know that all the states I've talked to have reciprocal certifications if we go the teaching route. I definitely thank you for the suggestions and I will definitely take a look at what is out there.

Thank you

Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM

47 posts, read 82,152 times
Texas has the best job market in the US! Why would you leave?

Old 03-04-2013, 03:25 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
Bolder, have you started contacting school districts? You said that you would be moving in July or August, but I think that schools will be hiring in the Spring. And most teachers go back to school by the second week of August, so you really need to know where you are going to be teaching well before then.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
I have a friend who has a Masters in Library Science. After several years of trying to find a job in Colorado, relocation to another state was that person's only option. Far too much competition for the limited number of jobs available. That circumstance is common to many career fields in Colorado.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 PM

397 posts, read 588,461 times
I know that in our elementary school (Jefferson County) our Library Science teacher has gone from full-time at our school to having to split her position between two schools to almost not having a position at all. It seems like when there are budget cuts, that position is always one of the ones on the list. In Nov. 2012, a mill was passed in hopes of securing those positions (among other things) but who knows...they could find something else to spend the money on. I hope it works out for you and that you can make the move with jobs lined up. You both sound highly educated and our kids deserve great teachers!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM

Stixzadnia, to be honest Texas has many problems within it and having lived here for most of my life and considering the emotional baggage here, its time to leave. The part of Texas I live in has 10% unemployment as well, and the military cuts will make it far worse.

Dreaming, You're right I need to look into it more. In Texas we tend to hire towards June/July for the new school year after waiting for budget changes, retirements etc to take in. However, not being physically there is problematic and I need to look into the reciprocal program more for CO.

Jazz- Thank you for that, I am going to be using a few different resources to find library jobs and info science jobs. We have the luxury of not having to start immediately as we will have some savings and other assets that need to be liquidated but it is a definite concern there.

Alliern-Thank you, I loved the kids I worked with and still keep in touch with many of them. During my time as an educator I felt the most important thing I could do is to teach the kids how to teach themselves. The news about cuts in your schools is problematic, but not atypical. Thank you definitely for answering my post and giving me more to think about.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM

3,492 posts, read 4,932,778 times
Given your desire to leave, Colorado is certainly a state you should consider. Apply early and often in multiple places and then schedule a week to be in the area, learn where you would want to live (possibly rent at first) and handle interviews. I was desperate to move here, but we still applied in advance, came in and did the interviews, then picked a job. (4 interviews, 3 offers. My wife is incredible and picked the right field and the right school.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado