Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 PM

403 posts, read 759,129 times

Advertisements

I have three boys and we've lived here for 4.5 years. They are 12, 10.5 and 7 years old. They are in the cub/boy scouts, play competitive soccer, rec basketball and competitive rugby and take guitar lessons all here in town. Of course, there are games "down the hill" that we have to travel to, but only on Saturdays during the soccer and rugby seasons. The two older boys remember our former life in NYC and they miss the pizza but not much else They love it here. We have a small pond on our property and they have their buddies over and play ice hockey all the time. My oldest son walks to/from the middle school with his friends. We also love the fact that we can head into Denver for a Nuggets, Rapids or Av's game (45 min from my house) or head to Red Rocks for a great concert (20 min from my house). Of course, this is all my opinion... I have traveled extensively throughout the U.S. and this area was by far the best place to settle to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM

12 posts, read 20,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
I have three boys and we've lived here for 4.5 years. They are 12, 10.5 and 7 years old. They are in the cub/boy scouts, play competitive soccer, rec basketball and competitive rugby and take guitar lessons all here in town. Of course, there are games "down the hill" that we have to travel to, but only on Saturdays during the soccer and rugby seasons. The two older boys remember our former life in NYC and they miss the pizza but not much else They love it here. We have a small pond on our property and they have their buddies over and play ice hockey all the time. My oldest son walks to/from the middle school with his friends. We also love the fact that we can head into Denver for a Nuggets, Rapids or Av's game (45 min from my house) or head to Red Rocks for a great concert (20 min from my house). Of course, this is all my opinion... I have traveled extensively throughout the U.S. and this area was by far the best place to settle to raise a family.
Well thank you very much. I really appreciate the information!!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosette View Post
I moved from CA to CO to get away from the city, traffic, congestion, and unfriendly people and I seem to have relocated to a mini-version of what I left. I kept convincing myself that it wasn't as bad but who am I fooling. My husband and I are in our early 30's (no kids yet). I may have watched too many movies but is there a small town in CO that is close enough to a bigger city for work purposes but actually has trees and lakes, a Mainstreet with friendly people, and is affordable to live in? We started driving around this weekend and so far Berthoud is our favorite place followed by Lyons. We also like Fruita but we're afraid it is not close enough to a city to find work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest you look at Monument/Palmer Lake/ Larkspur. Colorado Springs is less than 30 minutes away and the Denver Tech Center is less than an hour. We are in Monument, about 3 miles east of I-25, which makes getting anywhere along the Front Range easy. This is a picture of our street. We have trees, but the 3 lakes close-by leave a lot to be desired.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
I would suggest you look at Monument/Palmer Lake/ Larkspur. Colorado Springs is less than 30 minutes away and the Denver Tech Center is less than an hour. We are in Monument, about 3 miles east of I-25, which makes getting anywhere along the Front Range easy. This is a picture of our street. We have trees, but the 3 lakes close-by leave a lot to be desired.
Thank you! That was actually the other place we were considering. How is the neighborhood? Are the people friendly? Is there a good sense of community? Do you have kids and if so, do they like it?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 AM

Thank you everyone for the great information!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosette View Post
Thank you! That was actually the other place we were considering. How is the neighborhood? Are the people friendly? Is there a good sense of community? Do you have kids and if so, do they like it?
The development we live in is Woodmoor. The lots are at least 1/2 acre and every home is custom-built, from as early as the 60's. People are mostly friendly, not unlike most areas. Woodmoor is probably high-middle class, with a lot of retired USAF. The schools(Dist 38) are highly regarded. We have a 7th grader and her school, Monument Academy, has been great for her. We also have older kids who prefer SoCal, due to the weather and lifestyle there.
Palmer Lake is a quiet little town a couple miles northwest of Monument. The older section of town oozes that 'small town' quaintness, that is nearly impossible to find within a reasonable distance to metro areas. If you drive down, I would recommend lunch at O'Malley's in PL

Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The development we live in is Woodmoor. The lots are at least 1/2 acre and every home is custom-built, from as early as the 60's. People are mostly friendly, not unlike most areas. Woodmoor is probably high-middle class, with a lot of retired USAF. The schools(Dist 38) are highly regarded. We have a 7th grader and her school, Monument Academy, has been great for her. We also have older kids who prefer SoCal, due to the weather and lifestyle there.
Palmer Lake is a quiet little town a couple miles northwest of Monument. The older section of town oozes that 'small town' quaintness, that is nearly impossible to find within a reasonable distance to metro areas. If you drive down, I would recommend lunch at O'Malley's in PL
Great information. Thanks again. We love food so we'll definitely try out O'Malley's!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,270 times
I-25 and I-70 are traffic nightmares a lot of the time. Monitor google maps 'traffic' for a few weeks if you think you'll have to use these road to get around.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I-25 and I-70 are traffic nightmares a lot of the time. Monitor google maps 'traffic' for a few weeks if you think you'll have to use these road to get around.
Thank you. We would likely be taking the 285 from I-25 or the 470 to 285. Do you know how bad those are?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Do you know how bad the traffic gets if we're coming from the 470 and from the 225?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado