U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM

9,402 posts, read 18,238,822 times

Advertisements

Anyone up there familiar with Albuquerque? One of the reasons I moved here was I love the climate here, four seasons and abundant sunny days and fairly mild for the most part. Well I'm itching for a bigger city and a bigger job market as well. I like Denver a lot, I'm pretty familiar with it and I've visited a number of times since 1998. It seems to get better every time I go back again. So anyway, what are the biggest climate differences between ABQ and Denver? I know they get more snow up there and subject to a lot of temperature swings etc. Anyone have a comparable experince between the two cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 PM

6,527 posts, read 10,197,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Anyone up there familiar with Albuquerque? One of the reasons I moved here was I love the climate here, four seasons and abundant sunny days and fairly mild for the most part. Well I'm itching for a bigger city and a bigger job market as well. I like Denver a lot, I'm pretty familiar with it and I've visited a number of times since 1998. It seems to get better every time I go back again. So anyway, what are the biggest climate differences between ABQ and Denver? I know they get more snow up there and subject to a lot of temperature swings etc. Anyone have a comparable experince between the two cities?
City-Data has some decent graphs for comparing the two climates. They're pretty similiar. Albuquerque is on average 5-10 degrees warmer. Albuquerque is also drier (~9.5in of annual precip to ~15.5in). Biggest difference between the two cities are record low and average snowfall. Albuquerque averages 11 inches of the white stuff per year and Denver gets around 53 inches.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,333,575 times
I've spent some time in ABQ and I've lived in Denver. Both cities have a dry climate with plenty of sunshine. ABQ tends to be warmer than Denver in general - especially in summer. Like bluescreen posted, Denver gets much more snow in the winter, so be ready to do some shoveling and learn how to drive on snow and ice. I'd say the winter season would be the hardest one for someone from ABQ to adjust to. The other 3 seasons, you'll hardly notice the difference.

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 PM

895 posts, read 1,246,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Both cities have a dry climate with plenty of sunshine
DOH!!! Hey, look quick! There is the sun. Oh sht, never mind.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Denver's climate is considerably different than Albuquerque's. Denver is colder in winter, with more snow. In summer, the heaviest precipitation months in Denver tend to be in May to mid-July, while Albuquerque gets most of its warm season precipitation from mid-July through the end of August. Overall, Albuquerque is hotter in summer, though both places can have significant hot spells. Most of the year, Albuquerque will have lower humidity, except during the height of the Southwest Monsoon season in Albuquerque. In Colorado, Albuquerque's climate would be most similar to either Grand Junction or Pueblo, though Grand Junction gets considerably colder in winter and gets less rain in summer than does Albuquerque. Both Denver and Albuquerque have their climatic pluses and minuses. If I had to choose which city to live in for other reasons, though I dislike both, I would choose Albuquerque. I've spent a lot of time in both Colorado and New Mexico over the years and I, overall, like New Mexico much better.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM

16,507 posts, read 20,906,955 times
How ya doing caphillsea77? As you know I post on the NM forum a fair amount, lived in Raton/Tucumcari/Hobbs in the early 80's (pipeline project.) I get down to Albuquerque a fair amount these days, maybe three times a year. There's a good cross section of opinion here, now my thoughts on Denver as I lived in Denver/Englewood/Littleton for a long time.

When it snows in Denver it can flat SNOW! One of my remembrances was the "Blizzard of '82" where two low pressure systems met in Denver off that weather map and set up shop on Christmas Day of 1982. The metro area was socked with anywhere from 2 to 4 feet. And that stuff sat on the ground for a long time. And indirectly cost Mayor Bill McNichols a re-election bid in the 1983 mayor election. If conditions are right it can snow in Denver in May. And September-I remember opening game of the 1982 NFL season-Labor day Weekend-Broncos vs. Chargers. It snowed two inches the night before the game.

It's somewhat uncommon to see some real hailstorm damage in mid spring storms that would be in the $150 to $250 million dollar range, but it can happen. Usually in April. I remember 2 such instances in 1984 and 1990 where I just got a new Pontiac and three days later had it whacked with hail damage. But not every year of course. As jazzlover mentioned the summers can get hot in Denver but Albuquerque gets the nod here. I haven't lived in the Denver area since '93 but one thing I did miss about the area, particularly in July and early August was the scattered afternoon and early evening showers and T-storms. Tornadoes rarely touch down in Denver but did in 1989 once. Four F-1's were scattered from Frederick to southeast of Aurora. the one in Denver was quirky to say the least, it took off the roof at the old Jim Bundy's restaurant on Evans and Broadway. Of all people to see the roof go was my older brother who was in the place having coffee! Sheesh! I am familiar however with some of New Mexico's wicked weather. On one of my NM trips I saw the damage to Clovis on that tornado that hit Clovis in May of 2008. And I know how squirrelly the hail damage can get from Hobbs to Roswell to Tucumcari during monsoon season.

Albuquerque's spring season is definitely longer than Denver's. Denver's winters are definitely longer than Albuquerque's. The afternoon/evening showers and t-storms are not necessarily monsoon related. The monsoons will hit in early August though. Falls in Denver are generally pleasant. There's no exact time when the first snow generally hits, I would generally say October 7th to around the 15th. There are exceptions, like the Labor Day weekend storm I mentioned earlier.

Regarding your comment on temperature swings, yea regarding Denver it can get downright cold in December/January. I've never known Albuquerque to have a string of several days of below zero temperatures. Denver? Yes.

I noticed the "wind thread" in the Albuquerque sub forum. Yes, that old wind can blow in Denver in early spring and the closer you get to the foothills the nastier it can be. I worked out at Rocky Flats (NW of Denver) on different construction related assignments in the 70's and 80's -I know that area well, and how much the wind can blow there-trust me.

Just being honest here. Good luck on your decision!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-08-2013 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: spelling, addition

Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,333,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
DOH!!! Hey, look quick! There is the sun. Oh sht, never mind.
Drat! I guess this means I won't win the "most informative poster" contest. Oh, well.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the replies everybody, and thanks for the long summary DoubleH, pretty much spells it out. I'm originally from Boston, so as wacky as weather can get in Denver I'm sure my thick New England skin could handle it. More sunny days are what's most important to me, and I know Denver has that in spades over Boston. I like New Mexico for that but I'm leaning toward Denver simply for more opportunities and a number of other reasons. It was a grogeous 70 degree day down here today and a pretty nice week so far, spring is in the air for sure.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've spent a lot of time in both Colorado and New Mexico over the years and I, overall, like New Mexico much better.
Why do you like New Mexico better than Colorado?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:07 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Why do you like New Mexico better than Colorado?
There are numerous reasons, but a main one is a 2.1 million population in New Mexico vs. 5.2 million in Colorado. I'm a Colorado native, but I've spent time in both states for over 40 years. Thanks to the onslaught of outsiders, the Colorado that I knew and loved has increasingly ceased to exist, except on Colorado's Eastern Plains and a few pockets in some other areas. New Mexico has certainly changed, too, but not as drastically and not at such an extent as Colorado has. Colorado is essentially "paradise lost" for me; New Mexico still has some hope of not changing completely, at for as long as I will probably be alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado