Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 AM

461 posts, read 546,405 times

Advertisements

Looking past tomorrow's storm, it's supposed to be 70 next weekend. I'm looking for a non strenuous day trip that we can take with our 5 year old daughter. Georgetown would be my first choice, but the railroad is closed for the winter. Any ideas? I'd like a museum, a fun town to walk around, something good to eat, within a few hours of Denver.

Thanks!

jb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
If its going to be 70 in Denver then in Pueblo it should be close to 80 so you might want to consider it and its only a 2 hour drive.

What to do?

I am told that people really like the Buell Children's Museum in Pueblo.

About the Buell Children's Museum

"Nation's #2 ranked Children's Art Museum"- Child Magazine. You’ll say “WOW!” when you visit the Buell Children’s Museum.

This 12,000 square-foot, two-level facility offers innovative, hands-on exhibits focusing on the arts, science and history for people ages 1 to 101.

Designed by the same architectural firm which created the original Sangre de Cristo Arts Center buildings—Hurtig, Gardner, Froelich & Barnosky—the Buell Children’s Museum is the third structure in our arts complex.

The Reilly Family Gallery offers changing, hands-on exhibitions in a bright, two-story space. Sensations is a high-tech, multi-sensory exhibit in which visitors activate lights, sound clips and video by pressing fifty separate sensors located on the floors and walls.

In the El Pomar Magic Carpet Theater visitors may watch a program on the cutting-edge projection equipment or take over the stage and star in their own theatrical production.

In the Artrageous Studio, visitors create personal masterpieces using paper, ribbon, mylar and other sparkly, gooey materials.

The link: Sangre de Cristo Arts Center:: Buell Children's Museum

It is part of the Sangre De Cristo Art complex and there are art museums as well.

There are other museums as well including the Pueblo history museum that is on a actual site of a fort.

El Pueblo History Museum

El Pueblo History Museum showcases the city's history and the region's many cultural and ethnic groups. The property includes a re-created 1840s adobe trading post and plaza, and the archaeological excavation site of the original 1842 El Pueblo trading post.

The link: El Pueblo History Museum | History Colorado

The Rosemount museum is another one:

Built in 1893, this 37-room mansion was home to the John A. and Margaret Thatcher family and named for Mrs. Thatcher's favorite flower. It remained a family residence for 75 years. Designed by noted New York architect Henry Hudson Holly and two years under construction, the mansion was completed in 1893. Nearly all furnishings, accessories, decorative arts, paintings custom paneling, wall and window treatments are original to the home. See why Rosemount has been called "Colorado's Crown Jewel," and why it was selected for showing on the A & E cable network's nationally televised America's Castles and the HGTV Series Christmas Castles

The link: http://www.rosemount.org/home/

Here is a list of all the museums from the Pueblo Chamber:

http://pueblochamber.org/visit/pueblo-co-museums/

Then after you can walk the Riverwalk and Union Avenue historic district and there are many good restaurants there. If you like Italian I would recommend Angelo's Pizza on the Riverwalk.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-08-2013 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 11:39 AM

461 posts, read 546,405 times
Wow, that sounds perfect. Thanks so much. My daughter is artistically oriented, and the Children's Museum sounds right up her alley. I've wanted to check out Pueblo for a while, based mostly on all the discussions on this forum. I prefer to see places for myself rather than judging them based on hearsay.

Thanks again.

jb

Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Hope you have fun. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM

529 posts, read 1,547,994 times
I agree with Josseppie, Pueblo is a very underrated place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado