U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 AM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
6,133 posts, read 6,660,513 times
Reputation: 3133

Advertisements

Let me first state that I feel like a total moron for forgetting City-Data was actually about cities and not just the parenting section....I should have posted this LONG ago.


So I know that Colorado has been cracking down on DUI's, which is good up until they changed what constitutes as a DUI. Now don't get me wrong I am against drinking and driving, I used to be a police explorer and saw a dead body from a DUI motorcycle accident.

Now what really gets to me is all the stories I hear from people about how they were simply sitting in their car and got a DUI.

Now let me emphasize what DUI stands for DRIVING under the influence, key word there driving.

Now let me also state that I was not born yesterday, under a rock and no I don't believe everything I hear but I have experienced this first hand so I do know it DOES happen.

My boyfriend was sitting in my driver seat (I had been driving) only to look for stuff I threw in the car in a moment of panic because I was less than calm about the current situation we were in. Which was pretty much stranded in the mountains in the middle of February in the cold at a gas station with a gas card which happened to be our only source of money with us and it wasn't working. I for some reason clearly have an irrational fear of bears, the potential of bears and just bears in general and vaguely remember saying (more like yelling) something about getting eaten by one as I threw the stuff inside the car claiming we were going to die there and I hope the bears enjoy the dog for dessert. (Yes, again with the bears I know.)

Lo and behold a bored mountain cop arrived, didn't even introduce himself as an officer, didn't ask what was going on but proceeded to right away ask my boyfriend how much he had to drink and then promptly arrested him.

A little over a year later and we are done with the process, the stress and the anxiety.

Let me reiterate, I do not condone drinking and driving and it was my car we were in, he had a snowball's chance in hell of driving my car that night, I was 21 before I got my first car, I wasn't going to let it get totaled.

I do know Colorado has some of the worst issues with DUI's and yes something needs to be done but this is not it. We both have gone through a years worth of turmoil and tears (mostly mine) over this situation.

In my opinion I view this as punishing people for something they haven't done yet but might be thinking they will but not sure so just punish them anyways type of situation.

Which you can't do but they do anyways.

Sir I see you're intoxicated and sitting in your vehicle, I don't know if you have actually been driving or are thinking about driving so let me arrest you anyways, put you in debt, get your license taken away, have you fight the court system for a year and then lose...

Something doesn't seem quite right to me about that.

Someone I know recently got a DUI, a deserved DUI, she had it coming.
A girl in her alcohol classes told her story about waiting in her car, in the middle of January, for a ride to come get her. Her mistake? Putting the keys in the ignition and turning it on to run the heat.

I don't see someone who was breaking the law but the law does.

I want to petition to redo our DUI laws.
I think someone who is physically operating the vehicle should get a DUI.
Not someone sitting in the drivers seat of a parked car which hasn't driven yet but the cops think might have or will.

My boyfriends public defender told him, "If I get annoyed with the wife and kids and I have been drinking and I go out to the garage to listen to the game on the radio, that is considered a DUI too."

I would love to see LESS people sitting in courts, alcohol classes when they didn't actually commit a crime.
I would love to see MORE services for assisting drunken people getting home safely for a low cost.
I would love to see MORE people being responsible.
I would love to see MORE options for people who drink and drive other than jail time. When in jail you sit and think about how much you hate cops, how much you hate the situation you are in and how much you just hate your life at that moment.

I would love to see people who do drink and drive have to do things for the community. Instead of 10 days in jail have them use those 240 hours for community service, helping a family with a loved one who is permanently disabled from being hit by a drunk driver, help a family who lost someone like a husband/father or something, someone who helped the family pay bills by cooking for them, helping out the single parent, volunteer in hospitals, talk to high schoolers about the dangers, something useful to society.

I am not some angry 23 year old (just sleepy ATM) who hates the cops (I am friends with a few), hates society and its rules and wants all laws abolished.
I am a 23 year old who see's a flaw in the way things are currently and wants to change it for the better.


I want to start a petition to have these laws rewritten so they actually HELP society instead of hurt a percentage of people who get caught by the broad net this law casts.


What do you think about the current DUI laws and how they are written in a way that does hurt some good people doing the right thing?
Do you have any ideas on how to make this better?

 
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,055 posts, read 12,406,241 times
Reputation: 25951
"Lo and behold a bored mountain cop..." That says it all right there about your attitude. Drunk drivers KILL people, I have zero sympathy for them. Colorado has some of the most lax DWI laws in the country, I think they should be stricter with mandatory sentencing. Let's see YOU choose to get drunk, YOU choose to get behind the wheel, and YOU choose to break the law. YOU get arrested and sit in jail and then think about how much YOU hate cops? Amazing. That cop YOU hate may have just saved your or better yet some innocent persons life.
 
Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Northern MN
3,869 posts, read 13,051,199 times
Reputation: 3567
If the vehicle is running you are in control or a running motor vehicle.
and a dwi is justified.

If your drunk and in control of a motor vehicle you are guilty if dwi.
regardless of the outside temps or your situation.
(starting it is control)

Don't drink and get near a motorized vehicle and you will be fine.

another tip you can also get a dwi while working on your car inside of your garage, as most laws state "anywhere in the state"

you've been having a few beers and turning wrenches, then you decide to start it up.
You are guilty of dwi if you are over the limit.


To the op instead of running to the motor vehicle after that drunken fight with the wife/gf,
walk it off, call a cab, there are plenty of ways to do the right thing other that going to the car.
 
Old 03-08-2013, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
6,133 posts, read 6,660,513 times
Reputation: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
"Lo and behold a bored mountain cop..." That says it all right there about your attitude. Drunk drivers KILL people, I have zero sympathy for them. Colorado has some of the most lax DWI laws in the country, I think they should be stricter with mandatory sentencing. Let's see YOU choose to get drunk, YOU choose to get behind the wheel, and YOU choose to break the law. YOU get arrested and sit in jail and then think about how much YOU hate cops? Amazing. That cop YOU hate may have just saved your or better yet some innocent persons life.
Well I don't sit in jail and hate anyone because I've never been arrested.
All I was saying was instead of putting drunk drivers in jail which is a negative environment, fine the crap out of them and have them do 400 hours of useful community service.

He was bored, the car wasn't even moving, it was parked at a gas station, and we had a legitimate reason for being at a gas station.
My boyfriend was sitting in the driver seat with the for open looking for the stuff I threw while I was going on about getting eaten by bears and mountain lions and how we were going to be stuck up there.
 
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
6,133 posts, read 6,660,513 times
Reputation: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
If the vehicle is running you are in control or a running motor vehicle.
and a dwi is justified.

If your drunk and in control of a motor vehicle you are guilty if dwi.
regardless of the outside temps or your situation.
(starting it is control)

Don't drink and get near a motorized vehicle and you will be fine.

another tip you can also get a dwi while working on your car inside of your garage, as most laws state "anywhere in the state"

you've been having a few beers and turning wrenches, then you decide to start it up.
You are guilty of dwi if you are over the limit.


To the op instead of running to the motor vehicle after that drunken fight with the wife/gf,
walk it off, call a cab, there are plenty of ways to do the right thing other that going to the car.
But if you have not actually driven the car then you shouldn't be convicted of DRIVING under the influence.

People should be able to wait in their cars for a ride if its winter and not worry about going to jail for essentially getting out of the elements and not freezing to death.
 
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Northern MN
3,869 posts, read 13,051,199 times
Reputation: 3567
it does not matter if it was moving or not, he/you were in control of a motorized vehicle that was running.

Did you/he get drunk at the gas station or did you drive there in that condition?

Doesn't matter being drunk and in control is all it takes.

If lions, tigers, and bears were a concern at a gas station, call the cops
Don't guzzle a quart of booze and wait for them to leave in a running motorized vehicle.

The lazy cop did the right thing by removing the threat from the road.


Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Well I don't sit in jail and hate anyone because I've never been arrested.
All I was saying was instead of putting drunk drivers in jail which is a negative environment, fine the crap out of them and have them do 400 hours of useful community service.

He was bored, the car wasn't even moving, it was parked at a gas station, and we had a legitimate reason for being at a gas station.
My boyfriend was sitting in the driver seat with the for open looking for the stuff I threw while I was going on about getting eaten by bears and mountain lions and how we were going to be stuck up there.
 
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM
 
20,842 posts, read 39,064,756 times
Reputation: 19075
This thread is just an angry BS rant and has no redeeming value for our forum.

Thread closed.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top