U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,989 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about moving out to CO soon. I love the outdoors. I don't want to live in a big city area so Denver isn't on my list. I have a dog that likes to swim, so being near a lake would be cool. I have been out to Boulder and Red Rocks for some concerts and that was fun, but Boulder isn't for me. I enjoy hanging out with people who can have fun without drinking and drugs. I would like to rent a place that is within walking distance to trails, dog friendly parks, lakes, or rivers. I like my privacy so not somewhere where people are all in your business all the time. I just lived out in Pacific Beach San Diego and although the surfing was fun, I didn't care for the people of the community. I like people with good morals and values. Let me know what places you think could work for me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,523,464 times
I think it depends on what you do for a job. Outside of the big population center on I-25, there might be a few options, but these are towns based around seasonal tourism with a very small market for full time jobs and high living expenses.

Also keep in mind that in Colorado most of the precipitation falls at high elevations. Contrary to what you see in the purdy PR photos, most of Colorado is a dry state with very few natural lakes. To get into nice trees, streams and all that, it involves living above 8000 feet and there are few living choices above that elevation. Most people don't like living that high up due to the heavy dominance of winter for much of the year.

The places to look at would be Granby/Winter Park, Summit County, Eagle County, possibly around Estes Park as well. You could also live in the desert like in Grand Junction, which has access to Grand Mesa and there are similar situations in Western Colorado where you could live in a high desert town with mountains nearby.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM

529 posts, read 1,249,358 times
I would say your best bet would be a suburb of Denver like Broomfield, it's far enough away from Denver to not have the "big city" feel yet close enough when you want it. It's near the foothills where there are many trees and trails for recreation. Large lakes such as Lake Granby, and Shadow Mountain Lake as well as numerous hiking trails are just a couple hours away in Rocky Mountain National Park (the park itself is only an hour away but the lakes sit on the west side of the park so you must cross trail ridge road in the summer to access them which takes an extra hour). Other lakes such as Boulder reservoir and Standley Lake are just 20 minutes away and large enough for all water activities. Everywhere in the front range is dog friendly, and there is no shortage of dog parks and dog loving people. The cost of living will be affordable for someone moving from San Diego, so you're in good shape here.

Ft. Collins also meets most of these requirements, however it is a college town so be prepared for this! However it is nothing like Boulder. Horsetooth reservoir is a great lake and is near beautiful hiking trails just outside of Ft. Collins.

Colorado Springs is also another good choice, but it is much further from any large lakes. However the hiking opportunities literally just outside your door there are unrivalled in any other major CO city. It definitely has the largest group of people with good morals and values in Colorado.

All of these cities offer areas of privacy if you want it!

I suggest visiting first and then deciding.

Good Luck!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,639,928 times
I think Salt Lake City would be a better fit for you. But I digress...

Do you have a job here? If not, that will likely be your greatest obstacle. The job market in Denver Metro is very weak. Unless you know someone here who will help you get started (provide a place to live for cheap, help find you a job, etc.), I would hold off until you have a more concrete plan in place. It is not cheap to live in Denver, so you don't want to find yourself out here and stranded with no money.

As far as places to live that have high morals, the burbs will probably be your best bet. Denver proper is a much more liberal crowd, so you'll have plenty of drinking, partying, pot smoking, and other "immoral" activities taking place.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:03 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,593,521 times
Why not try Burlington!!!

Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
Asheville would be alot closer to home, and probably far less costly. Lots of outdoor activity in Asheville.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:07 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,007,533 times
I have been very impressed with the dog park( think it's called Red Rock) in Colorado Springs, the beautiful scenery and trail access as another poster mentioned is a bonus. COL will be a little better than the Denver area as well.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 AM

129 posts, read 216,312 times
Even though I am planning on moving, our little suburb of Gunbarrel nails everything on your list. I also think Fort Collins is a good one for you by your list. Really, most of CO towns have all that, in essence. It would be hard without knowing more about what you like to do.

I have a dog that likes to swim, so being near a lake would be cool. - check (Twin Lakes, Coot Pond)
I enjoy hanging out with people who can have fun without drinking and drugs. (Very active board gaming community)
I would like to rent a place that is within walking distance to trails, dog friendly parks, lakes, or rivers. (Twin Lakes goes all the way to Boulder, Boulder Creek trail)
I like my privacy so not somewhere where people are all in your business all the time. (I don't even know my neighbors names)

Old 03-11-2013, 12:45 PM

3,492 posts, read 4,931,133 times
Agreed that the qualifications listed match most of Colorado. More specifics are needed to determine between the many parts of denver, fort collins, the springs, pueblo, GJ, etc.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 PM

251 posts, read 518,747 times
Fort Collins is a great place to live. Lots of access to very close-in recreation (Horsetooth Reservoir is minutes west of town). Lots of people your age. It's more down-to-earth than Boulder. And far less expensive! Lots of good restaurants, too. And plenty of churches! But be prepared for lots of traffic, especially when the students are in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or