U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'll letcha in on a little something as a resident of California:

Where I live, in the Bay Area, "sense of humor" is synonymous with "George W. Bush," "Republicans" and "childbirthing." It is a phenomenon or a phase that Bay Areans care to not experience, present company excluded.

Honestly, I stick out among my workers--and they point this out--because of my friendly, chipper demeanor. Likewise with another co-worker from SoCal, which leads me to say...

Unless they're from a wealthy area (south Orange County, Glendale, west L.A.,) Southern California people tend to have a sunnier disposition and a little better sense of humor.

Generalities, to be sure, but they are what I've experienced.

You got that right!
You know how many times I have heard Bay Area people make remarks about "fly over" country and all us hillbillies and rednecks(and yes that includes Colorado)? Too many times to count.

But I care not a bit. I am who I am and glad I'm not there and likewise them not here.

I've spent plenty of time in CA and Ill be back again next month. It's a shame to see the state of that state. But I do enjoy the good things about it without having to live there.

I would agree SoCal is more relaxed, Bay Area is a bit weird and intense.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:19 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,202,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You know how many times I have heard Bay Area people make remarks about "fly over" country and all us hillbillies and rednecks(and yes that includes Colorado)? Too many times to count.

But I care not a bit. I am who I am and glad I'm not there and likewise them not here.

I've spent plenty of time in CA and Ill be back again next month. It's a shame to see the state of that state. But I do enjoy the good things about it without having to live there.

I would agree SoCal is more relaxed, Bay Area is a bit weird and intense.
If you meet arrogant jerks from SoCal, they're more than likely from south Orange County, western L.A. County, Glendale, or the Conejo Valley. The people of the San Fernando, Santa Clarita and San Gabriel Valleys, as well as north Orange County and the Inland Empire, are generally more down to Earth. I was in Pasadena a few weeks ago and people seemed pretty happy there, and it's easy to be with the San Gabriel Mountains in the background, a booming and historic downtown on the ground, and 82 degrees and sunny skies.

Yeah, Bay Area people tend to be more arrogant. The working- and middle-class natives spread throughout are generally nicer, as well as people in Oakland and some of the outer 'burbs like Sonoma County, Livermore, Gilroy, and Half Moon Bay. In fact, I like Half Moon Bay more than most places in California! It's a special place. But, I think the influx of nouveau riche and uber-introverted tech geeks since the 1980s has diluted a lot of the Bay Area's previously free-wheeling, true liberal spirit.

I've honestly never been to Colorado. A good buddy of mine here in the Bay is from Fort Collins and speaks highly of it regularly. Another family acquaintance moved from my home state (Kentucky) to Colorado Springs and already considers himself a bona fide Coloradoan!

Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 AM

13,294 posts, read 25,467,231 times
I think any place resents people who sell houses elsewhere for big profits and then drive up the prices in the lower-cost place where they go. Hey, I could be one of those people. People from California tend to, if they sell a house at all, be able to take advantage of the insane prices there and then go elsewhere and drive up prices. It's just an economic thing. Hence, the "group bias" against any area where people can do this. Same way with many retirees, from either coast or the Northeast. It's a numbers thing.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,009,192 times
Some of these comments sound like some randoms sitting around in a dusty Eastern Colorado plains greasy spoon complaining about all those communists in Boulder.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM

86,887 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think any place resents people who sell houses elsewhere for big profits and then drive up the prices in the lower-cost place where they go. Hey, I could be one of those people. People from California tend to, if they sell a house at all, be able to take advantage of the insane prices there and then go elsewhere and drive up prices. It's just an economic thing. Hence, the "group bias" against any area where people can do this. Same way with many retirees, from either coast or the Northeast. It's a numbers thing.
I don't believe this has been the case for Californians since the recession.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
brightdoglover wrote: People from California tend to, if they sell a house at all, be able to take advantage of the insane prices there and then go elsewhere and drive up prices.

That's one side of the story, but that's all it is. The other side of the story are the sellers, who willingly accept the higher offers. It is the GREED of the seller that also contributes to the higher prices. People seem to conveniently forget that part, and point their finger at the buyer. It's ALWAYS a two way street. For a real estate transaction to occur, the big money outsider needs to be matched up with a greedy seller. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but that's the reality of the situation. It a two way street......ALWAYS!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM

14,498 posts, read 22,345,330 times
There are two types of Coloradoans, native and transplants. The former are more inbred than the latter.

I lived in Chatsworth until I was 10 and had seen Colorado when I was 8. When in SoCal all I ever wanted to do was hang out on our boat in Marina Del Rey or go camping. The former got too expensive.

Being in southern Colorado was kind of like camping so it was a no-brainer.

Now I'm here and I refuse to leave.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:02 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
There are two types of Coloradoans, native and transplants. The former are more inbred than the latter.....Now I'm here and I refuse to leave.
Ditto, and a good place to end this thread, which went down hill like all the other anti-(fill in the blank) threads on the internet.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or