U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 PM

20,810 posts, read 38,972,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I hear a lot about the western slope cities being filled with druggies "because there isn't much to do", but I doubt it.
It's all a big leftwing conspiracy, dontcha know.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,736,632 times
Places in Montrose and Delta Counties have had a long reputation--for 30 years or more--as trade and supply centers for the illicit drug trade in Colorado. They are located nearly equidistant from the resort towns of Aspen and Telluride, both havens for people with both the money and often a taste for illicit drugs. With law enforcement spread pretty thin in both counties, those engaging in the illicit drug trade can find "havens" where they can ply that trade in relative safety. A couple of years ago, Olathe, a town of around 1,500 halfway between Delta and Montrose, was listed by the FBI as one of four cities and towns in Colorado under "significant influence" of the Mexican drug cartels.

Places like Montrose or Delta do not have an inordinate percentage of local residents actually using illicit drugs--at least no higher percentage than what is typical in other rural areas--but that does not mean the towns are not places active in the illicit drug trade.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:12 PM

4,690 posts, read 4,309,632 times
OLATHE, too? Oh man, is nothing sacred anymore?

Certainly not Naturita/Nucla. I spent some time trapped in Nucla a few years back (Believe me you never want to be trapped in either town). I became friendly with one of Naturita's leading citizens - a very nice man. He could point out the various drug dealers' houses and told me horror stories about the lack of a "real" police force there. I guess Montrose County sends a deputy or two every now and then when they can be spared from their duties in the big city. Montrose to Naturita is what? Like about a 3 hour trip? And that's in the summer, of course. The druggies must have a field day over there. There must be SOME reason that people stay on in Naturita now the uranium's gone.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,007,883 times
Wink Two halves of Montrose County

Is there a sheriff substation in Naturita?

According to Google it is about 1.45 hours from Montrose to Naturita. And all the stranger that both happen to be in the same county. Fascinating. Montrose County is like two conjoined rectangles, joined slightly off-center with a sizable range of mountains running between the two halves. There is some road winding across these mountains, if surely not all-weather or plowed. So the necessity of driving south out of the county to Ridgway, over a divide almost to Telluride, and then back up northwest to get back into your own county. Who thought that up?

The western half of that county borders Utah, and nothing much of all until one at last gets to Moab. Maybe a good place for fresh air and an absence of authority figures.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 AM

16,488 posts, read 20,861,395 times
The Naturita/Nucla area has been discussed before on this forum, but it's been a while, probably a few years anyway. And discussion regarding these towns from citizens who live in towns like Durango and Telluride is usually in a derogatory manner. And that's being polite.

It's an hour and a half in every direction from this area to get to a city with shopping. Or with jobs. Or with ample health care facilities. It's as remote an area as you can get in western Colorado with possibly extreme northwest Colorado being an exception, that being the area north of Craig.

In the 30's and 40's this area was noted for ranching but there was one huge employer who employed a lot of people at a plant 15 miles or so north of these two towns, so much so that the company calling the shots (Union Carbide) created a company town near its uranium processing operations. The town was called Uravan. (the Ura in Uravan is for uranium and the van stands for vanadium btw) I don't know how many hundreds of people worked there but there were several hundred people when my dad worked on hwy. 141 on a long stretch of a paving operation that started in Gateway and continued west on Colo. 90 to the Utah state line.

When the economy took a major hit in western Colorado in 1982 because of primarily the oil shale situation and Exxon pulling out operations, the Uravan/Nucla/Naturita area was already getting thumped with the announcement of Union Carbide shutting down operations totally. And the town went into not only decommission mode but also a dismantling mode. And that included company houses and company store. By the mid 1980's it was pretty much gone. Only a couple buildings remain, the town signs pulled down off hwy. 141 years ago, and fences went up all around the place.

By this time Colorado's economy in general stunk and western Colorado's economy really stunk. Anyone who lived in this area who didn't decide to retire were in ok shape provided their house was paid for and they had 100K in the bank. Otherwise it was dismal city in this area. Among the locals who have lived there all their lives was a saying common to all of them as they referred to their part of the county as the "West End." For years this area did not get along with Montrose itself on a variety of county issues. Kind of a "us versus them" observation. In one years time of the Union Carbide pullout the area's unemployment went to 10%, in two years time 15%. And the state of Colorado wasn't of much help regarding helping the area.

Desperate, this area had towns meeting after towns meeting and came up with nothing to try to not only get things going economically, but to keep more people from leaving the area. Then an idea popped up. A prairie dog shoot. This last ditch idea went over big around 1990 or so. Needless to say, the media had a field day with THIS. Yes, it did bring money to the area. It also brought lots and lots of demonstrators. IIRC Robin Duxbury was president of P.E.T.A. at that time and not surprisingly P.E.T.A. was out there in full force. CNN certainly was. And out of state ranchers and hunters were out there as well with guns blazing (figuratively.) The prairie dog shoot went for several years, I believe around 1997 or so it finally was about done.

And the area hasn't had much going on ever since. In the early 1990's there was some activity maybe a half hours drive east of Naturita as if I recall there was some Superfund clean up sites seeing some contract work in an area called Disappointment Valley (aptly named.) Two contractors that come to mind regarding remediation would be M.K. Ferguson and C.B. Johnson, I'm sure a few more companies were out there. I haven't seen any equipment rolling out there for the last several years though as I go through that way a couple times a year.

In post#14 Idunn describes Montrose County as two conjoined rectangles. Sounds about right. Two areas that couldn't be any different. The haves and the have nots. Montrose and Nucla/Naturita.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 03-12-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 07:41 AM

20,810 posts, read 38,972,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
.... There must be SOME reason that people stay on in Naturita now the uranium's gone.
Well, the town DOES have a certain glow about it.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 AM

178 posts, read 486,282 times
I went to a local meeting put on by the police department here in Montrose about drug enforcement in this part of Colorado. To make a long story short there are only 5 officers policing an area of over 50,000 square miles whose specific duties are to arrest those buying and selling illegal drugs. At this point they are concentrating much more on arresting those selling drugs than just using drugs due to limited police resources. Because of the new law about marijuana they are also concentrating on more serious drugs like meth, cocaine or heroin.

Personally, I feel safe walking in 100% of Montrose during the day and maybe 95% of town at night. I have never had any reason to "watch my back." I'm a family man so you probably wouldn't find me walking the streets at night anyway except those right around where I live. From my experience, I would say that Montrose is definitely safer than parts of Colorado Springs and Pueblo. It also seems just as safe as Canon City where I never had a problem with anybody.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM

178 posts, read 486,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Is there a sheriff substation in Naturita?

According to Google it is about 1.45 hours from Montrose to Naturita. And all the stranger that both happen to be in the same county. Fascinating. Montrose County is like two conjoined rectangles, joined slightly off-center with a sizable range of mountains running between the two halves. There is some road winding across these mountains, if surely not all-weather or plowed. So the necessity of driving south out of the county to Ridgway, over a divide almost to Telluride, and then back up northwest to get back into your own county. Who thought that up?

The western half of that county borders Utah, and nothing much of all until one at last gets to Moab. Maybe a good place for fresh air and an absence of authority figures.
I lived and went to school in Utah back in the late Seventies and early Eighties so I'm recalling a few things about Utah that may still apply to rural areas in that state. Woe unto those who transgresseth against the "Word of Wisdom" and trample upon the rules of good and peaceful folk for the rath of the ??, (Mormon militia, ?...), whatever they be called, shall be upon you. Basically my point is, there isn't or wasn't a lack of authority figures in Eastern Utah when I lived in that state. Some people may laugh and some may find a story about Bigfoot more believable but I have actually seen some of these "authority figures" in north Mohave county in Arizona and across the border in Utah and they did exist. They aren't big city Mormon but if I were a bad guy I would keep my business out of Utah and at least 50 miles away from the Utah state line. I have been to the West End and life on the West side of the Uncompahgre Plateau does seem to be influenced somewhat by rural Utah politics which are very different from the big city urban politics along the Wasatch front.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,813,553 times
Mike from back east wrote: I've friends and relatives who believe ANYTHING that comes into their email inbox.

Are you suggesting that some things that come into the inbox might not be true? You are dashing my faith in cyberspace. If that is the case, I might as well go back to FAUX News to get the right slant of the truth, and MSNBC to get the left slant on the truth, do some mental gymnastics and imagine that the media manufactured truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-12-2013 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 AM

16,488 posts, read 20,861,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
OLATHE, too? Oh man, is nothing sacred anymore?

Certainly not Naturita/Nucla. I spent some time trapped in Nucla a few years back (Believe me you never want to be trapped in either town). I became friendly with one of Naturita's leading citizens - a very nice man. He could point out the various drug dealers' houses and told me horror stories about the lack of a "real" police force there. I guess Montrose County sends a deputy or two every now and then when they can be spared from their duties in the big city. Montrose to Naturita is what? Like about a 3 hour trip? And that's in the summer, of course. The druggies must have a field day over there. There must be SOME reason that people stay on in Naturita now the uranium's gone.
It's not that surprising to me that you would have drug problems to that extent. I personally know a couple people who work at the Naturita Public Library, which by the way won an award in 2011 as the best small town library in the U.S. (there's a couple sites online that talk about it.) And it's not that nobody works in Naturita. Where a lot of them work is actually Telluride, mostly during October to April of course. I've seen a few 16 passenger vans packed with people coming west from there on occasion. I've donated a lot of hardback books (fiction, non-fiction, some sci-fi) to Naturita's library. It's a friendly staff, I've met Susan Rice who supervises it (not sure if she's still there),they have a half dozen computers in there, and the library kind of serves as a community hub of sorts. I believe they have a daycare in there which helps the people who travel to work (which is a long haul btw-70 miles one way to Telluride I believe)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado