U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,333,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Is there a sheriff substation in Naturita?
Yeah, but it's staffed by law enforcement from Montrose.

Quote:
According to Google it is about 1.45 hours from Montrose to Naturita.
I wonder if Google takes into account all the deer who love to play chicken with drivers around any curve on the stretch of Highway 145 between Norwood and Naturita. The locals take that part of the trip pretty slow to avoid deer-thru-the windshield syndrome. And then there's getting trapped behind a slow moving RV on the stretch between Norwood and the turn-off to Telluride. And there's the ever on-going road repairs, etc. Google needs to come out here and drive between Naturita and Montrose itself before it goes around giving travel times.

However, 3 hours is an exageration (it FELT that long), so I'm willing to split the difference with Google to around 2.15 hours on a good day.

Quote:
And all the stranger that both happen to be in the same county. Fascinating. Montrose County is like two conjoined rectangles, joined slightly off-center with a sizable range of mountains running between the two halves. There is some road winding across these mountains, if surely not all-weather or plowed.
That road has never seen a snow plow from the day the first white man went exploring up on the Uncomphahgre to the present. It's a dirt road that begins just outside of Naturita. Take EE30 Rd east (begins with many sharp switchbacks) to Pinon (a wide space on the dirt road) where you make a left to get on Old "Highway" 90 and follow more switch backs up and over the Uncomphahgre and then continue on until you hit paved road a few miles outside of Montrose. 4wd drive is required if you try to go over it during or right after a rain storm. Nice road for campers or hunters - worthless for travel between Montrose and Naturita. (I have a story about driving over the Uncomphahge in a rain storm, but that's a topic for another thread.)

Quote:
So the necessity of driving south out of the county to Ridgway, over a divide almost to Telluride, and then back up northwest to get back into your own county. Who thought that up?
I've always thought that the Montrose vs. Naturita thing was the strangest disjunct in Colorado. Near-by Norwood is in wealthy San Miguel County, they should have made Naturita/Nucla a part of it, too. Those towns would certainly benefit from a transfusion of county funds generated by all those rich ski bums in Telluride, never mind the folks in ever so exclusive Mountain Village.

There is another road from Naturita to Montrose that people may take - Highway 141 which follows the Dolores River and has some spectacular scenary. Contine on 141 past Gateway to the junction with Highway 50, then go south to Montrose. It's a longer route, but a more scenic drive for sure.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 03-12-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Mike from back east wrote: I've friends and relatives who believe ANYTHING that comes into their email inbox.

Are you suggesting that some things that come into the inbox might not be true? You are dashing my faith in cyberspace. If that is the case, I might as well go back to FAUX News to get the right slant of the truth, and MSNBC to get the left slant on the truth, do some mental gymnastics and imagine that the media manufactured truth lies somewhere in the middle.
I think you spelled MSNBC wrong. It's MSLSD.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think you spelled MSNBC wrong. It's MSLSD.
Yeah, but Faux can't pass the acid test!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I might as well go back to FAUX News to get the right slant of the truth, and MSNBC to get the left slant on the truth, do some mental gymnastics and imagine that the media manufactured truth lies somewhere in the middle.
The truth is not out there. Not in the MSM anyway.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
Seeker5in1 wrote: The truth is not out there. Not in the MSM anyway.

Agreed! Truth is an inside job. That's why I called it the media manufactured truth. MSNBC tells lies with a slant to the left, and FAUX news tells lies with a slant to the right. Watching either of those sources is more like comedy central than real news. To get a closer approximation of what's going on, I occasionally check in with the likes of James Howard Kunstler and David Icke, sprinkled with many grains of salt to harvest small slices of truth every now and then. After reading these guys, it becomes quite obvious that Bill O'Reilly and Chris Matthews are nothing more than highly paid comedians.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM

I get my news from Jon Stewart and Steve Colbert with a little NPR thrown in just for laughs.

But anyway...

Do I get my lunch or not? The consensus seems to be that while Montrose has its druggies, it's no worse than any other small town in rural Colorado - like, like - Cortez, for example.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 PM

10,063 posts, read 13,951,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
A friend of a friend claims Montrose is a big drug town with dealers everywhere.

Say WHAT?

I've never heard anything like that about Montrose, but then I don't hear about many things.

Is this true?
He meant Boulder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado