U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
10,627 posts, read 11,021,451 times
Reputation: 13847

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Next it will be 10.
Then 5.
Then bolt action only.
Which is all good.
So I guess you're against Second Amendment. Got it. What happens when something that matters to you comes under assault by the government. Will you be singing the same tune when the government decides the Fourth Amendment no longer applies and break down your door unannounced to search your belongings? Or how about the First Amendment? Will you be okay with it when the government decides that free speech is too problematic?

It's all good when it's someone else's rights, right?

 
Old 03-14-2013, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
2,394 posts, read 4,300,438 times
Reputation: 7531
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So I guess you're against Second Amendment. Got it. What happens when something that matters to you comes under assault by the government. Will you be singing the same tune when the government decides the Fourth Amendment no longer applies and break down your door unannounced to search your belongings? Or how about the First Amendment? Will you be okay with it when the government decides that free speech is too problematic?

It's all good when it's someone else's rights, right?
Maybe he meant Berkeley, California, then it would make sense. The 2nd amendment was listed 2nd before a number of other important things for a reason.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
 
Location: RI dreaming of Florida
549 posts, read 1,538,552 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
We should not kid ourselves about modern warfare. This is not the 1700s, its not even 1950 when it comes to war. The technology and tools used by any country that might attach the US (including the US Govt itself, I suppose) laugh at our rifles. If we were attacked, we'd most likely be dead before we knew anything was happening due to bombs / missiles / rockets / drones all launched from well out of rifle range.
I'm sure that explains our rapid victory in Afghanistan.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,527,350 times
Reputation: 7602
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
So I guess you're against Second Amendment. Got it. What happens when something that matters to you comes under assault by the government. Will you be singing the same tune when the government decides the Fourth Amendment no longer applies and break down your door unannounced to search your belongings? Or how about the First Amendment? Will you be okay with it when the government decides that free speech is too problematic?

It's all good when it's someone else's rights, right?
You may as well go and talk to a stone wall when dealing with individuals with that mentality.

In their minds they are the (pseudo)intellectual intelligentsia elite who consider themselves the chosen ones, immune from all that messy stuff. If you asked them, they would probably think it's great to confiscate firearms or to have government people rummage through your house or to suppress speech of others by the issuance of threats. Because to them, it will never happen to them or impose on them. In reality, they are usually the first to go in any SHTF scenario.

They are usually people in the city working behind a computer, completely detached from the land, the production and manufacture of goods and services and the transportation thereof. They are detached from reality, out floating in space, always thinking the government knows better and will always provide whatever they want.

The mag limit measure is stupid. People will just buy out of state and eventually will just print their own at home. Law enforcement will just have more laws to shift through and try to remember. Gun manufacturers will have more stupid rules to comply with. Citizens will have to jump through more hoops, spend more money and be caught up with the law and it's pitfalls. When all is said and done it will not stop one criminal.

I have to come back on business to Colorado in a few weeks, but just as with New York State, I've chosen to boycott it and not spend money there unless I have to. A bunch of us here locally in PA have stopped shopping across the border in New York, in my case that's at least a few thousand every year that will not be going over the border. I'll drive the extra few miles to Williamsport, PA to do my major shopping there. I'm doing the same with Colorado, if I visit, it will be to earn money or visit relatives, but I am going to avoid spending money in CO and I urge others to do the same.

Boycott Colorado.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 PM
 
Location: On the corner of Grey Street
6,067 posts, read 8,325,737 times
Reputation: 11535
I'm okay with most of those. Not completely opposed to guns on college campuses, and that last one is kind of extreme, but what is there to fault about the rest of them, seriously? I'm from VA and I grew up around guns, so I am in no way anti gun. I've shot guns plenty of times, and I used to keep a hand gun in my bedroom for protection when I lived alone out in the sticks. I just don't see how it's infringing on the 2nd amendent to make people prove they aren't mentally ill or have a criminal record before you sell them a gun. Or to make them show up in person to get their concealed carry permit. If you are legit, you'll be allowed to buy the gun and carry it concealed. You can say criminals don't follow the law - I know that. You could say someone could buy a guy legit with no record and then go on a killing spree. There's no way to always prevent gun violence as long as guns exist, BUT if there is even the slightest possibility that these prosposed laws will keep someone who wants to hurt other people away from a gun then it is absolutely worth the added steps for the rest of us.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You may as well go and talk to a stone wall when dealing with individuals with that mentality.

In their minds they are the (pseudo)intellectual intelligentsia elite who consider themselves the chosen ones, immune from all that messy stuff. If you asked them, they would probably think it's great to confiscate firearms or to have government people rummage through your house or to suppress speech of others by the issuance of threats. Because to them, it will never happen to them or impose on them. In reality, they are usually the first to go in any SHTF scenario.

They are usually people in the city working behind a computer, completely detached from the land, the production and manufacture of goods and services and the transportation thereof. They are detached from reality, out floating in space, always thinking the government knows better and will always provide whatever they want.

The mag limit measure is stupid. People will just buy out of state and eventually will just print their own at home. Law enforcement will just have more laws to shift through and try to remember. Gun manufacturers will have more stupid rules to comply with. Citizens will have to jump through more hoops, spend more money and be caught up with the law and it's pitfalls. When all is said and done it will not stop one criminal.

I have to come back on business to Colorado in a few weeks, but just as with New York State, I've chosen to boycott it and not spend money there unless I have to. A bunch of us here locally in PA have stopped shopping across the border in New York, in my case that's at least a few thousand every year that will not be going over the border. I'll drive the extra few miles to Williamsport, PA to do my major shopping there. I'm doing the same with Colorado, if I visit, it will be to earn money or visit relatives, but I am going to avoid spending money in CO and I urge others to do the same.

Boycott Colorado.
By all means, please stay away
 
Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I'm okay with most of those. Not completely opposed to guns on college campuses, and that last one is kind of extreme, but what is there to fault about the rest of them, seriously? I'm from VA and I grew up around guns, so I am in no way anti gun. I've shot guns plenty of times, and I used to keep a hand gun in my bedroom for protection when I lived alone out in the sticks. I just don't see how it's infringing on the 2nd amendent to make people prove they aren't mentally ill or have a criminal record before you sell them a gun. Or to make them show up in person to get their concealed carry permit. If you are legit, you'll be allowed to buy the gun and carry it concealed. You can say criminals don't follow the law - I know that. You could say someone could buy a guy legit with no record and then go on a killing spree. There's no way to always prevent gun violence as long as guns exist, BUT if there is even the slightest possibility that these prosposed laws will keep someone who wants to hurt other people away from a gun then it is absolutely worth the added steps for the rest of us.
I agree. I know the majority of gun owners are responsible, but it's just like at work or school. It only takes one moron to screw it up for everyone. And in the case of gun owners, the got the luxury of having many morons screw it up for them before action is finally taking place.

I've never owned a gun (shot them in the military) and have no intention of ever owning one. I don't understand why grown men want to go out and shoot crap in a field. I'll never understand.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:20 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,527,350 times
Reputation: 7602
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

I've never owned a gun (shot them in the military) and have no intention of ever owning one. I don't understand why grown men want to go out and shoot crap in a field. I'll never understand.
I don't understand why grown men would like other men in a sexual way or why grown men would want to take drugs and stumble around in a stupor. I'll never understand that.

Shooting skills to me are very important. Whether for community defense, self defense, hunting or just fun and improving my skills and winning more titles, it's another usable skill much like learning how to grow food, use tools and machinery, cut trees down, repair things, etc.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
 
Location: San Diego
34,932 posts, read 31,961,540 times
Reputation: 19401
And..............................there will be more mass shootings. Could be in Denver, could be anywhere because these new "laws" have done jack squat to get people to try and understand why someone wants to shoot up a school or other highly attended venue to begin with. All these laws have done is P*SS off the law abiding.

One of the kids in the columbine shooting only had 10 round mags but he had something like 13 of them. This whole thing is just dumb. When you give someone 15 minutes to shoot victims without being stopped? "That's" the problem we should be trying to remedy along with trying to identify the nutjobs before they get this far.

People can still walk into a store and buy a semi-automatic rifle. This is window dressing.
 
Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,780,481 times
Reputation: 9132
As someone putting it so succinctly said, "Taking gun rights away from law-abiding citizens is like castrating yourself because your neighbor has too many kids."

Last edited by jazzlover; 03-14-2013 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top