U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,274,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I've never used my home insurance either, but it sure is nice to have it!
Yes, but my little boys can't pick up my home insurance policy and kill themselves or another family member with it.

If I owned a gun, it would have to be so locked up that it would be useless if an armed intruder came into my home.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-19-2013 at 06:33 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,569,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
No, not at all. I've neaver heard of someone walking into a school and killing innocent children with a ladder, roof, or a stair. Stupid comparison to guns.
I see, so those people's deaths, most of whom died not by their own choosing, are worth less than someone who dies in a sensational media story.

If we want to stop with innocent children's deaths, we can do away with Roe v Wade and infanticide.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 PM

5,543 posts, read 6,976,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Funny thing... I've made it 46 years and never had a moment where a gun would have helped me out or a situation where taking someone's life would have helped.

If you think you need to carry a gun with you at all times, you're PARANOID!

Tell that to your local cops.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM

10,674 posts, read 11,078,829 times
Wow, I see this thread has continued and evolved quite a bit while I was at work today. Not surprisingly, the discussion at some points has involved anti-gunners accusing gun owners of being "loons" and "paranoid." This is part of why we cannot have dialogue in a civilized manner. Unfortunately the anti-gunner crowd is either not intellectually civilized enough to converse in a mature manner or they are so driven by an agenda that any hope of "reasonable" gun control measures is literally a punch line.

My personal stance is that I respect someone's right to engage in gun ownership or not to. For those who choose not to own a gun, I do not try to impose my values on them. I certainly would appreciate the same from their side of the camp.

And yes, I've seen plenty of arguments about how evil guns are (which is untrue because a gun is an inanimate and therefore amoral object), how they are a tool designed to one thing and one thing only and that is kill (also not true because many guns are designed primarily for sport and target shooting), and on and on the arguments go. Anti-gunners wish to impose their values on others because somehow they believe that it makes them safer.

If someone is so weak that they value security over freedom, they deserve neither. A paraphrase from Ben Franklin. More recently (1949 to be specific), Dwight Eisenhower had this to say, "If all that Americans want is security, they can go to prison. Theyll have enough to eat, a bed and a roof over their heads. But if an American wants to preserve his dignity and his equality as a human being, he must not bow his neck to any dictatorial government." This is how I feel. Bringing this back to the Colorado laws, I believe the state legislature and governor are banking on Colorado's residents to disagree. I hope and pray this is a grave miscalculation on their part, and that the efforts to recall and repeal through referendum these misguided laws are successful.

I for one value liberty more than security. While I respect the anti-gunner's right to have his values and opinion, I think that Ike's implication that people who value prefer security lack a sense of dignity is well deserved amongst anti-gunners. So much so that they have reached the point where they are perfectly happy to rely on someone else (government) to provide for them something they are capable of providing for themselves.

It's shameful, really.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 PM

20,896 posts, read 39,162,901 times
The OP has penned a decent final post, so this is a good point to wrap it up and close it as we're getting way off topic with our comments.

I may reopen if and when something is signed into law.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:17 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
Default Economic Impact of New Gun Laws

The gun control thread is closed, but I feel compelled to point out how unfair the back ground check is for gun shop owners in Colorado. People will buy their guns across the border to avoid the background check which is effectively registration. In-state dealers will lose much of their business now. In-state gun shows are pretty much done also. That was Bloomberg's intent, of course. Economic sanctions in the liberal war on the 2nd Amendment. Rahm Immanuel is trying the same tactic in Illinois.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,323,805 times
Default It will take time

I don't think you can measure the economic impact for at least a decade.
You will have to collect data on positives and negatives.
Anecdotes don't count.

I said the same thing about DIA.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 AM

1,968 posts, read 1,982,826 times
Default Colorado Passes Gun Safetly Legislation

Have not been a huge fan of Governor Hickenlooper, given his conservative outlook, but I am proud of him for passing anti-slaughter gun safety legislation. Way to go, Hick.

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper Signs Landmark Gun Control Bills Into Law

Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 AM

1,968 posts, read 1,982,826 times
Background check legislation will be passed at a national level, I believe. A national gun registry will help law enforcement greatly and I'm sure that will be enacted at some point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/us...nd-checks.html

IMO the obvious intent is to reduce massacres. While the ability of the NRA to corrupt Congress has been demonstrated, the fact that the majority of Americans support gun safetly measures may be enough to overcome this, I hope.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,312,355 times
Anti-slaughter gun safety legislation? Please explain how any of these passed bills will accomplish this, the legislators couldn't even in the debates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or