U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 02:31 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,659,082 times

Advertisements

Background checks were already in place via FFL transfers and the NICS system. All my firearms have been purchased through the FFL system, either via sporting goods retailer or online like Gunbroker.com.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Brady Law

I'm not sure what the CO background check will do beyond this, other than appease the ignorant and misinformed.

I do agree they needed to close the gun show loophole. Hi-cap magazines? Pointless.

Criminals and idiots will always find a way, regardless. In the end, these laws will do nothing.

Cue the next mass shooting ... it's only a matter of time.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,087,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
If we are talking strictly the economy this will have no meaningful impact on it.
It will certainly have a meaningful impact on Colorado gun sales! I don't know what you do for a living, but what if Bloomberg had just passed legislation in Colorado that put you out of business?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post

Criminals and idiots will always find a way, regardless. In the end, these laws will do nothing.

Cue the next mass shooting ... it's only a matter of time.
As the murder in Monument by a convicted felon yesterday clearly demonstrates. The law will hurt Colorado gun stores badly.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 AM

4,800 posts, read 10,544,768 times
As Yogi Berra once said, making predictions is hard, especially about the future, but do Coloradans think the politicians who supported this gun control legislation will be supported in the next election, or is there going to be political hell to pay for this?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
As Yogi Berra once said, making predictions is hard, especially about the future, but do Coloradans think the politicians who supported this gun control legislation will be supported in the next election, or is there going to be political hell to pay for this?
I'm sure they are goners. Maybe Bloomberg will hire them in NYC.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,843,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
You are a NO GO at this station. The Second Amendment, the Constitution, or the rest of the Bill of Rights don't GIVE anyone diddly squat. It recognizes existing rights. The National Guard ISN'T the whole militia. It's a reserve arm of the Federal Government that his limited state control except when called to Federal service, and is actually a bastardization of the select militia.
The militia is everyone. Read Title 10 USC, 311. Read my quotes. Most of us are members of the unorganized militia. As a veteran I am subject to an even longer recall in the militia, although my oath binds me to the defense of the Constitution until my death.
The National Guard is the one and only Militia refereed to in the Second Amendment. It was the only Militia that existed at that time.

About the National Guard

The National Guard, the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States and one of the nation's longest-enduring institutions, celebrated its 370th birthday on December 13, 2006. The National Guard traces its history back to the earliest English colonies in North America. Responsible for their own defense, the colonists drew on English military tradition and organized their able-bodied male citizens into militias.

The colonial militias protected their fellow citizens from Indian attack, foreign invaders, and later helped to win the Revolutionary War. Following independence, the authors of the Constitution empowered Congress to "provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the militia." However, recognizing the militia's state role, the Founding Fathers reserved the appointment of officers and training of the militia to the states. Today's National Guard still remains a dual state-Federal force.

Throughout the 19th century the size of the Regular Army was small, and the militia provided the bulk of the troops during the Mexican War, the early months of the Civil War, and the Spanish-American War. In 1903, important national defense legislation increased the role of the National Guard (as the militia was now called) as a Reserve force for the U.S. Army. In World War I, which the U.S. entered in 1917, the National Guard made up 40% of the U.S. combat divisions in France; in World War II, National Guard units were among the first to deploy overseas and the first to fight.

About the National Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
Who is using semi autos to carry out terrorist acts against the government? Name one. Go ahead. A leftist fantasy.....
Constitutional militia movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-22-2013, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yes. And the Columbine killers and Virginia Tech wacko had 10 round magazines as well.
Thank god for that, or who knows how many more kids they would have killed. If the Columbine killers had more ammunition, they could have killed just about every kid in the school. The worthless cops staying safe outside weren't going to stop them.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thank god for that, or who knows how many more kids they would have killed. If the Columbine killers had more ammunition, they could have killed just about every kid in the school. The worthless cops staying safe outside weren't going to stop them.
It was the same a VA Tech. The cops just waited outside doing nothing while Chu clamly stalked the school corridors killing anyone he found. The problem in all these instances is "gun free" zones, not magazine capacity.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCO5280 View Post
I agree Mike to some extent, however one is granting rights to people and the other is infringing on them. Huge difference IMO as the Government loves to take away rights bit-by-bit so to go unnoticed until most realize that their right has been completely abolished.
I'd like to think of gun control as granting the rights of innocent people, not to be murdered by homicidal maniacs with mass killing weapons.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I'd like to think of gun control as granting the rights of innocent people, not to be murdered by homicidal maniacs with mass killing weapons.
I think of gun control as taking away innocent people's ability to defend themselves from homicidal maniacs and/or a potential dictatorial government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or