U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM

11,628 posts, read 7,203,216 times

Advertisements

Ryan, the law on background checks for gun transfer exempts certain blood relatives and "temporary transfers." So like, if you gave or willed your gun to your offspring that should be exempt from the requirement under the current law and if you are at the range or hunting and you let your buddy use your gun, that's cool too.

Honestly these guns have little real effect and certainly won't prevent ANY kind of crime. Even the bigger magazines are grandfathered in if you already have them. People can stock up as much as they want between now and...what is it, July 1st? June 1st? Whatever...and after that if they get a big magazine from another state where dates and crap aren't engraved on it, it will be hard for law enforcement to prove them wrong if they claim to have owned it since prior to the ban.

The only thing these laws are for, is for legislators to stand there and say, "Look! We did something! We're ANTI-SLAUGHTER! Killing is bad, mmkay?" **much rolling of eyes**

Real results:
--Magpul gone. Other firearms based businesses relocating or not doing business here. Outdoor channel boycott.
--Pro gun citizens angry.
--Denverites smug.
--Cheyenne gun shop owners investing in more stock in anticipation of increased sales to Colorado residents.
--An image projected to the nationwide community of tourist-hunters/shooters that Colorado is "anti-gun" and has restrictions that might be a nuisance, and so they may increasingly choose to take their dollars elsewhere.

That about sum this up?

And like any freedom loving American, my fear is that when these restrictions absolutely fail to accomplish any prevention whatsoever in regards to "slaughters" happening, next time one does occur the noose will get a little bit tighter. This here ain't so bad. We (they/gun owners/whateva) survived this round of legislation. But...what's next?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,659,082 times
3D printers are coming along and a person could feasibly manufacture their own firearm, or sub-components such as hi-cap mags, using a CAD drawing that they could go find on the web or elsewhere.

So what's next, regulate 3D printers, machinists, and gunsmiths?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:58 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
3D printers are coming along and a person could feasibly manufacture their own firearm, or sub-components such as hi-cap mags, using a CAD drawing that they could go find on the web or elsewhere.

So what's next, regulate 3D printers, machinists, and gunsmiths?
This 3D printing thing will never actually happen fully. Right now they are printing some parts, but many parts of the gun that takes high stresses still have to be tough steel.

Things like magazines, grips, some parts can be printed but you will never be able to print a fully functioning gun, or at least one that wouldn't self destruct after 1 or more shots.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 AM

2,943 posts, read 7,304,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
This 3D printing thing will never actually happen fully. Right now they are printing some parts, but many parts of the gun that takes high stresses still have to be tough steel.

Things like magazines, grips, some parts can be printed but you will never be able to print a fully functioning gun, or at least one that wouldn't self destruct after 1 or more shots.
Not neccesarily. There are already a large number of firearms made with polymer receivers, including AR-15's, and they hold up quite well. And as we all know, the reciever is the part of the gun with the serial numbers, so it's the part that matters. All other parts such as barrels, slides and trigger groups are mere parts that can be ordered online.

It's my understanding that there will be 3D printers that print with a polymer film.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
What is that?

Ever heard of a 3 gun competiton? HB 1224 just destroyed that in Colorado.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Not neccesarily. There are already a large number of firearms made with polymer receivers, including AR-15's, and they hold up quite well. And as we all know, the reciever is the part of the gun with the serial numbers, so it's the part that matters. All other parts such as barrels, slides and trigger groups are mere parts that can be ordered online.

It's my understanding that there will be 3D printers that print with a polymer film.
I'm sure it will come along, but it's certainty not at the stage right now where it's available to the masses and/or reliable enough to use.

The one example I saw as an AR with a normal upper and lower and some other parts out of 3D printed material and I think it lasted 5 shots, and that's printed materials with the parts that take very little stress.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 AM

Universal Background checks=Universal Gun registry, and let me explain why.

So, the legislature wants every single firearms transfer to go through an FFL, ok I get it, but here's the problem with that:

There is NO way for the government to know whether or not I legally transferrred a gun to someone, unless......wait for it.......IT'S SERIAL NUMBER WAS INCLUDED IN A NATIONAL REGISTRY DATABASE!

As it sits right now ( and rightfully so), the feds have no idea who owns what gun, it is against federal law for them to do so.

So in conclusion, universal background cheks cannot work without 100% firearms registry and tracking, and lets face it, that's their ultimate goal. And 100% registration always, and I mean ALWAYS, leads to 100% CONFISCATION, because they know exactly who owns them and where they are.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post

It will happen fully, because you can use those plans on computer controlled metal milling or stamping machinery, none of which is hard to obtain or find. Or do it yourself the old fashioned way with metalworking tools.

People do it all the time with ex military firearms from overseas. These weapons come as "parts kits" with the receiver chopped up. People apply to the ATF to make a firearm, get the approval and mill or stamp a new receiver with a semi auto trigger pack. Due to another stupid law, you also have to have a max amount of foreign parts. But it's done all the time now by people in their own garages and shops and on a larger scale, some niche companies sell these guns. I own a parts gun myself, part US made receiver and trigger pack by a small company and 1930's parts on the rest of the gun. All ATF approved.

Gun technology is 700 years old and gunsmithing and gun manufacture is alive and well in the USA, so this isn't going anywhere.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It will happen fully, because you can use those plans on computer controlled metal milling or stamping machinery, none of which is hard to obtain or find. Or do it yourself the old fashioned way with metalworking tools.

People do it all the time with ex military firearms from overseas. These weapons come as "parts kits" with the receiver chopped up. People apply to the ATF to make a firearm, get the approval and mill or stamp a new receiver with a semi auto trigger pack. Due to another stupid law, you also have to have a max amount of foreign parts. But it's done all the time now by people in their own garages and shops and on a larger scale, some niche companies sell these guns. I own a parts gun myself, part US made receiver and trigger pack by a small company and 1930's parts on the rest of the gun. All ATF approved.

Gun technology is 700 years old and gunsmithing and gun manufacture is alive and well in the USA, so this isn't going anywhere.
You are vastly over simplifying it though. Those parts kits you talk about you just assemble, the real work is already done. Making a barrel is extremely difficult and probably 98% of machine shops don't even have the tools to do it.

The amount of people applying for a Form 1 though and building their own is probably .0001% of the average gun market.

Find me a CAD drawing for an upper receiver for an AR-15 and then find a shop that can and will actually let you submit that CAD drawing to have only 1 of those parts machined.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,959,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Universal Background checks=Universal Gun registry, and let me explain why.

So, the legislature wants every single firearms transfer to go through an FFL, ok I get it, but here's the problem with that:

There is NO way for the government to know whether or not I legally transferrred a gun to someone, unless......wait for it.......IT'S SERIAL NUMBER WAS INCLUDED IN A NATIONAL REGISTRY DATABASE!

As it sits right now ( and rightfully so), the feds have no idea who owns what gun, it is against federal law for them to do so.

So in conclusion, universal background cheks cannot work without 100% firearms registry and tracking, and lets face it, that's their ultimate goal. And 100% registration always, and I mean ALWAYS, leads to 100% CONFISCATION, because they know exactly who owns them and where they are.
I don't have a problem with back ground checks. Will it be 100% no then again nothing is but I do think there are certain people who should not have a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or