U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,299,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I don't have a problem with back ground checks. Will it be 100% no then again nothing is but I do think there are certain people who should not have a gun.
But those people who shouldn't or know they shouldn't wouldn't obviously go through the proper procedure and do a background check.... Hence the criminal status.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:20 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
But those people who shouldn't or know they shouldn't wouldn't obviously go through the proper procedure and do a background check.... Hence the criminal status.
I liked O Reilly answer to this. All gun laws should be federal laws and if a person breaks those laws they should be in jail.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:24 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,299,877 times
Quote:
I liked O Reilly answer to this. All gun laws should be federal laws and if a person breaks those laws they should be in jail.
Universal background checks would not have stopped Eric & Dylan, Holmes, or Lanza from getting guns, especially if they are willing to steal or whatever it takes to get them.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Quote:
That hits on one of my gripes, i.e., state boundaries are meaningless, for many topics, like stock markets, drug laws, disease control, etc. IMO it's idiocy to piecemeal gun laws with 1 national set of ATF laws, 50 sets of state laws, hundreds of city laws, all of which leaves us with sub-optimal law enforcement when crimes are committed and where what we have is a wide open market that is being exploited by drug cartels/illegal aliens, ex-convicts, criminal elements, mentally unhealthy people, plus both domestic and foreign terrorists.

I'd like one set of gun laws for the entire nation and they'd be written by a panel of Police Chiefs (representing Governors and Mayors), NRA, Manufacturers, FBI/ATF/DOD, with local gun clubs also having a seat at the table. All parties and voices would be represented with the outcome being a unified set of laws that protect both gun ownership rights and provides for the safety and security of our people and nation.

The country needs unity on this issue, and closure on a contentious issue.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:53 PM

1,969 posts, read 1,976,621 times
I think it is a minority of Americans who oppose gun control. Some buy into the John Wayne myth of the rugged individualist and resist any civilizing legislation. The issue is like slavery or abortion or marriage equality; it may take time but the country will move forward and continue to pass legislation to reduce gun violence.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:38 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
You are vastly over simplifying it though. Those parts kits you talk about you just assemble, the real work is already done. Making a barrel is extremely difficult and probably 98% of machine shops don't even have the tools to do it.

The amount of people applying for a Form 1 though and building their own is probably .0001% of the average gun market.

Find me a CAD drawing for an upper receiver for an AR-15 and then find a shop that can and will actually let you submit that CAD drawing to have only 1 of those parts machined.
These parts kits you don't just assemble because the receiver and trigger pack is welded into pieces.

As an example:

Karl Gustav Swedish M45 Parts Kit
Finnish Suomi M31 9MM Parts Kit Part #KIT-M31
https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/51

So you have to make your own receiver and trigger pack that will be approved by the ATF, as well as various other requirements. Plenty of people are making their own AK's and other guns in their own garage.

The point I am making everyone should understand is I am not here to debate the numbers of people that do this, but that whether people want to be legal or illegal in regards to complying with laws, the technology, parts, barrels, plans and equipment exist to crank out millions of firearms if need be and if people want to work around the law they can. They might open themselves up to committing a felony, but felons already don't care do they?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with back ground checks. Will it be 100% no then again nothing is but I do think there are certain people who should not have a gun.
Background checks already exist. Do you think that many who know already they will not pass a background check will bother with that?

They will do what they do already, use the underground trade to obtain one, use identity theft to use someone's identity(so much for that national id card) and use that to pass a background check or they will steal and rob someone like when a newspaper posts 40000 names of licence holders that have guns.

Yeah those background checks will stop em cold, just like those "gun free" zones that have mental wackos and hoodlums shaking in their boots.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Universal background checks would not have stopped Eric & Dylan, Holmes, or Lanza from getting guns, especially if they are willing to steal or whatever it takes to get them.
It's a felony to make a straw purchase of a firearm, yet with felons who might have their stupid corruptible girlfriend to use and abuse or some family member, does anything think felons care about maybe having another felony tacked on them?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That hits on one of my gripes, i.e., state boundaries are meaningless, for many topics, like stock markets, drug laws, disease control, etc. IMO it's idiocy to piecemeal gun laws with 1 national set of ATF laws, 50 sets of state laws, hundreds of city laws, all of which leaves us with sub-optimal law enforcement when crimes are committed and where what we have is a wide open market that is being exploited by drug cartels/illegal aliens, ex-convicts, criminal elements, mentally unhealthy people, plus both domestic and foreign terrorists.

I'd like one set of gun laws for the entire nation and they'd be written by a panel of Police Chiefs (representing Governors and Mayors), NRA, Manufacturers, FBI/ATF/DOD, with local gun clubs also having a seat at the table. All parties and voices would be represented with the outcome being a unified set of laws that protect both gun ownership rights and provides for the safety and security of our people and nation.

There are currently 25000 firearms laws in this country. The law themselves often don't even know the law.

Yet they keep passing more laws and don't even enforce many of the ones they already have.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM

10,626 posts, read 11,019,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

I favor this only if they take Wyoming's gun laws and apply them across the board. Take the state that has the most pure and freedom-assuring application of the 2nd Amendment and make it the standard in all U.S. states and hold accountable public officials (elected and appointed) who try to infringe upon these rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or