U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 05:31 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,198,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I'll say it again, just leave me alone.
"Don't tread on me!" as it was said in a more honest and courageous time.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,879,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I haven't come around to any of your thinking at all, so I don't know where you got that from.
Let's see. You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think we can streamline all these rules and demands on citizens.

As an example I have a drivers licence, which once I obtained it, I could buy whatever and however many cars I want and drive them all over whenever I want.

Same here in PA, I go to get a "Licence to Carry Firearms" which requires 2 references and a background check and once I have that, I should not have to jump through all these hoops that impose stupid time and money demands on me.
Then I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I based my proposal on the driver's license and auto registration system. Nowhere did I state that there is a limit on the number of guns or the types of guns, I just want to make sure that people who get them are safe and responsible with their guns, and that there is a system in place to help catch those who are not safe and responsible with their guns.
As painful as it is to you, it sounds like we are on the same page. I was just more specific in the implementation.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,523,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Let's see. You said:

Then I said

As painful as it is to you, it sounds like we are on the same page. I was just more specific in the implementation.
Uh, no, you have it wrong. You are for imposing more and more laws, regulations and costs on gun owners and I am for keeping it as minimal as possible.

Millions of us are not sitting for psych evaluations by lefty psychologists, nor are we are going to sit for having to fill out more forms and suffer from more government intrusion. Nor are we going to sit for registration, insurance or any of that nonsense.

As we have seen with a relaxation of gun laws, homicides have been halved.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
They keep banging on the bee hive and these "wizards of smart" with all their books of regulations and taxes remind me of the proverbial "talking villain" in the movies and we all know how they end up.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
A lot of what is going on today is very similar to 1765-1775. Most people just remember the Boston Tea Party and the taxation without representation issue, but there was more to it than that. What was a major contributor to the Revolution kicking off was the red coats moving to seize town supplies of powder and to confiscate firearms and as well as banning the importation to the colonies of arms and powder.

It's why the second amendment exists. The founding fathers were smart enough to recognize that without private ownership of firearms and similar means, you are defenseless against tyranny.

The left is doing the same thing all tyrannical groups do, trying to strip away firearms from people. Registration=confiscation. During the Russian Civil War from 1917-1923, one of the #1 priorities of the Reds was to seize any arms in the hands of the people and those that had them, when they handed them over, were usually executed with them.

The left in this country knows any big move on guns isn't going to work out well, so they have tried to do it slowly, just like davidv's big plan. Ostracize gun owners as "wackos", restrict this, restrict that, give us this information, that information, pay this tax, pay that fee, sit and be "evaluated".

The fact that we are not the problem, because more gun ownership has reduced in less crime, doesn't matter. These people trade in crisis and fear and need it to get people to hand over freedom for utopian security from the "state". When these outlying, statistical anomaly mass shootings happen, they secretly rub their hands in glee because it means letting no crisis go to waste. All of the bozos in the Colorado Legislature telling people to defend themselves with ball point pens, they were all giddy with delight about these recent incidents, because it means the chance to impose tyranny on people. I read many of their comments and they are hateful, nasty, arrogant people and it's shameful Colorado citizens elected them.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The difference between a right and a privilege doesn't matter from the perspective that with both guns and cars require responsible ownership, care and usage. Guns and cars BOTH kill thousands of people per year in the USA. We do tests to assure we can safely operate a car and also require insurance coverage, so the same should be true of guns as well. I like the idea of gun buyers having to pass a written test (to assure they know the rules) and a hands-on test on a range to make sure they know how to safely handle and discharge a firearm. I don't see this as any sort of imposition on anyone, it's just common sense to assure public safety for guns and cars.
Ladders, stairs, roofs and other structures kill 25000 Americans each year from falls. That's more than double the homicide rate and close to the number of people that die in car smashes.

Using your vein of thinking, all ladders and stairs over two steps need to be banned, ladders and stairs with one step need to be regulated and you should have to pass a written test(to insure they know the rules) and a hands on test to make sure people know how to safely handle a ladder or stair and step on it.

Also too we should impose the same rules on cannabis use since it's a drug that impairs your brain and thinking and cognitive ability. You should have to pass a written test(to insure you know the 1,293 pages of rules) and a hands on test to make sure you know how to properly use cannabis without overdosing or setting your house on fire. You should also have to endure background checks every time you make a purchase of cannabis, fill out forms, pay a tax and take out insurance for your health and liability in the event your impairment causes a vehicle crash or some other form of death or injury on others.

Sounds fair to me.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 AM

1,969 posts, read 1,975,994 times
Some Americans' devotion to regression and primitivism never ceases to amaze me. These mild gun control measures, which seek to make society safer in our state, and do not even include an assault weapons ban, and yet there were people (a minority, granted) circling the capitol, honking their horns in protest. And the typical posts on here which regurgitate the usual talking points.

The US ranks 51st in the world in life expectancy at birth. In 1950, we were 9th. Thank you, Ronald Reagan. Some continue to vote into office those like Reagan who increase income inequality, who want to revert to the days of back alley abortions, and who fight sensible gun control measures even when children are slaughtered (obviously I am referring to Republicans and 'conservative' Democrats, Hickenlooper being an exception, a conservative Democrat who actually recognized the need for this legislation).

I don't expect President Obama to solve every problem, but perhaps 2008 was a turning point away from primitivism and towards a higher quality of life as enjoyed by Sweden, Canada, Japan, Australia, etc. I hope so.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM

30 posts, read 32,828 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Speaking strictly for myself though there are many more of like mind/heart, I'll amplify with the addition of "...or else"

Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Some Americans' devotion to regression and primitivism never ceases to amaze me. These mild gun control measures, which seek to make society safer in our state, and do not even include an assault weapons ban, and yet there were people (a minority, granted) circling the capitol, honking their horns in protest. And the typical posts on here which regurgitate the usual talking points.

The US ranks 51st in the world in life expectancy at birth. In 1950, we were 9th. Thank you, Ronald Reagan. Some continue to vote into office those like Reagan who increase income inequality, who want to revert to the days of back alley abortions, and who fight sensible gun control measures even when children are slaughtered (obviously I am referring to Republicans and 'conservative' Democrats, Hickenlooper being an exception, a conservative Democrat who actually recognized the need for this legislation).

I don't expect President Obama to solve every problem, but perhaps 2008 was a turning point away from primitivism and towards a higher quality of life as enjoyed by Sweden, Canada, Japan, Australia, etc. I hope so.
You make no sense at all. You are so concerned about a very statistically small number of children that die in this country from firearms yet support the deaths of 1 million children in the womb or post birth. That seems to me to be a perverted form of thinking. It seems to you, 20 children die in a horrific massacre so we need to take everyones rights to own a firearm away, but 1 million children turned into medical waste, no problem.

One would think your thinking would be even across the board.

Seeing as how you are a backer of these recently passed rules, you have yet to explain how they make regular citizens "safer" other than repeating the same mantra over and over again, "it makes it safer", well, how? 15 rounds and gun is rendered safe, 16 rounds mass murder machine?

Do we forget that dirtbag james holmes had his apartment wired up like a truck bomb?

It seems to me Mr. obama has done nothing but drive down our economic prosperity and standing in the world, so he's not fixing anything, just making life more difficult for all. Like all utopian statists do.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:07 AM

1,969 posts, read 1,975,994 times
Firearms are not being taken away as you well know. Haven't in the past and aren't now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or