Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 PM

350 posts, read 847,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
These laws should not impact hunting.
But they will, in several ways.

1. The background check: 72 hours is much less than the standard big game hunting expedition. The law makes criminals out of normal hunters borrowing guns to go hunting (a very very common occurance).

2. Perception. Read hunting magazines or watch outdoor shows... see how much out-of-state hunting and fishing tourism there is in California, Washington, Oregon, New York, Illinios, compared to Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Texas, South Dakota, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc, despite all being equally great hunting states. Colorado will certainly switch to the first list. The Outdoor Channel is already pulling its Colorado shows. You can argue if its worth it or not, but to say they won't impact it is just flat out wrong.

To the OP's question... I, like most folks around here, including LEO's, am overwhelmingly against it all. I especially don't understand how its ok to charge people for an redundant state background check (the feds already run a background check), yet asking for ID to vote is "infringing on the right to vote". It is kind of amazing to see how fast Hickenloopers popularity fell threw the floor though, prior to these bills he was probably one of the most popular democrats around here in decades. Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things in Colorado, we don't really matter out here. If things keep up, at least its only 12 miles to freedom.

Last edited by ohazco; 03-13-2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
To the OP's question... I, like most folks around here, including LEO's, am overwhelmingly against it all. I especially don't understand how its ok to charge people for an redundant state background check (the feds already run a background check), yet asking for ID to vote is "infringing on the right to vote". Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things in Colorado, we don't really matter out here. It is kind of amazing to see how fast Hickenloopers popularity fell threw the floor though, prior to these bills he was probably one of the most popular democrats around here in decades. If things keep up, at least its only 12 miles to freedom.
I am a staunch conservative and voted for Tancredo in the governor's race in 2010. I had been pleasantly surprised by Hick and was considering a vote for him in 2014. I won't vote for him now. Just him voicing his support for these bills is enough to sway me away from supporting his reelection bid. I will make good on my promise to change my residency, but not before voting against Hick in next year's election.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:

2. Perception. Read hunting magazines or watch outdoor shows... see how much out-of-state hunting and fishing tourism there is in California, Washington, Oregon, New York, Illinios, compared to Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Texas, South Dakota, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin, etc, despite all being equally great hunting states. Colorado will certainly switch to the first list. The Outdoor Channel is already pulling its Colorado shows. You can argue if its worth it or not, but to say they won't impact it is just flat out wrong.
Also, this is a very good point. People underestimate how close knit the gun community actually is. They underestimate the resolve we have to protect our rights, and to voice our dissent with our money. If Colorado thinks they are going to just pass a bunch of anti-gun laws and that there will be no backlash from the voters and gun owners everywhere (who had previously made Colorado a hunting destination) they are sadly mistaken. I do anticipate these gun control measures to be a much discussed topic in the elections next year.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 PM

350 posts, read 847,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Also, this is a very good point. People underestimate how close knit the gun community actually is. They underestimate the resolve we have to protect our rights, and to voice our dissent with our money. If Colorado thinks they are going to just pass a bunch of anti-gun laws and that there will be no backlash from the voters and gun owners everywhere (who had previously made Colorado a hunting destination) they are sadly mistaken. I do anticipate these gun control measures to be a much discussed topic in the elections next year.
And I'm not so sure its all about backlash, as much as it is why go to Colorado (or California, etc) and worry about breaking some silly laws, when you can just go somewhere else and not worry about it. Also like Cali, Oregon, Washington, the "image" is gone (granted the West has been dead in Colorado for while now, but the image was still there.) Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, will fit the bill better.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 PM

21 posts, read 38,677 times
I'm upset about these measures. It especially makes me cringe when politicians mention Aurora in speeches as if all of us who live in Aurora agree with their proposals. I know that I don't want to be punished for the horrible actions of bad people. But at this point, I just try not to pay close attention to the news. If the Dems want to ram gun control measures down our throats, there's not a whole lot we can do to stop them, unfortunately.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flcstud View Post
If the Dems want to ram gun control measures down our throats, there's not a whole lot we can do to stop them, unfortunately.
They can be voted out of office in the next election. There are more conservatives in Colorado than liberals, so it's just a matter of getting out the vote.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
They do infringe on the right to own firearms. The magazine limit is a great example. Once you give governments the precedent to say how many rounds you can have in a magazine, sky is the limit on more restrictions down the road. It will be like in Canada until they get it down to 5. And then it will be down to 4, 3, 2, 1 and then nothing. They will say we can't have certain calibers, they'll tax ammo to death, they'll continue to restrict it until it's all dried up. Then they will really put the screws to us.

Absolutely correct. The agenda is totally disarming the American people. Step by step. This debacle in Colorado is a big psycological victory for the gun grabbers because you are seen as a solid bastion of gun rights supporters. They expect an avalanche of legislation to follow in other states.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
And I'm not so sure its all about backlash, as much as it is why go to Colorado (or California, etc) and worry about breaking some silly laws, when you can just go somewhere else and not worry about it. Also like Cali, Oregon, Washington, the "image" is gone (granted the West has been dead in Colorado for while now, but the image was still there.) Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, will fit the bill better.
Good point. I understand tags in Colorado are hard to come by anyway. Very expensive and certainly not a sure thing season to season. I have a feeling that any candidate that makes repealing these laws (assuming those still in play eventually pass) will have a solid showing in the election next year. They fly in the face of Colorado culture and even though the state has been trending democrat in the past few elections, a lot of Colorado democrats are actually fairly conservative people who still place a lot of value in their constitutional rights. It'll be interesting to see the electoral backlash. Of course, the other side to that coin is, what if there is no electoral backlash? And if that is the case, Colorado will have officially become a Rocky Mountain Region version of California.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
I am disappointed that the campus gun ban did not pass. It is insane that one has to worry about people walking around with guns on campus; once there is a Democratic majority on the Board of Regents, perhaps another effort can be launched to reverse this, if not sooner.

On the other hand, the magazine limit bill passed and that is fantastic. Onward with more anti-slaughter legislation.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I am disappointed that the campus gun ban did not pass. It is insane that one has to worry about people walking around with guns on campus; once there is a Democratic majority on the Board of Regents, perhaps another effort can be launched to reverse this, if not sooner.

On the other hand, the magazine limit bill passed and that is fantastic. Onward with more anti-slaughter legislation.
May I ask where you are from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado