U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 07:51 AM

10,626 posts, read 11,019,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I am disappointed that the campus gun ban did not pass. It is insane that one has to worry about people walking around with guns on campus; once there is a Democratic majority on the Board of Regents, perhaps another effort can be launched to reverse this, if not sooner.

On the other hand, the magazine limit bill passed and that is fantastic. Onward with more anti-slaughter legislation.
That bill was so idiotic it was killed by its own sponsor. During the deliberations for that bill is when most Colorado law makers embarrassed themselves and the state with comments like, "Women don't really know when they're being raped." and "We don't need guns on campuses, we can create 'safe zones.'" As if those examples of verbal diarrhea were not good enough, another law maker told a rape victim that a gun would not have helped her because "statistics were not on her side." By the way, that victim was raped 100 feet away from the campus police station.

The ban on concealed carry on campuses was a horrible idea and I am glad that the assembly was shamed enough to kill it.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,299,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
May I ask where you are from?
Artisan4

Previous locations
NYC

Figures

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM

129 posts, read 216,393 times
As an avid hunter I have no problems with a restriction on large magazines.

On a different note:

We should not kid ourselves about modern warfare. This is not the 1700s, its not even 1950 when it comes to war. The technology and tools used by any country that might attach the US (including the US Govt itself, I suppose) laugh at our rifles. If we were attacked, we'd most likely be dead before we knew anything was happening due to bombs / missiles / rockets / drones all launched from well out of rifle range.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 AM

10,626 posts, read 11,019,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
Translation: It doesn't affect me, so I don't care.

Quote:
We should not kid ourselves about modern warfare. This is not the 1700s, its not even 1950 when it comes to war. The technology and tools used by any country that might attach the US (including the US Govt itself, I suppose) laugh at our rifles. If we were attacked, we'd most likely be dead before we knew anything was happening due to bombs / missiles / rockets / drones all launched from well out of rifle range.
This scenario is a favorite for the anit-gunners to quote. It's a bit of a straw man in its own right, but I'll play along for the sake of discussion. All that stuff takes money and resources to operate. More importantly, it takes skilled and trained operators. Who do you think these skilled and trained operators are? They are regular guys who have families at home and friends in towns across this country.

I think that more people are not expecting an all out war with our own government, but that government will reach a point where it can no longer maintain civility, resulting in a breakdown of order. Think Greece, but on a much larger scale. I think (and I hope that we never reach this point) that a worst case scenario is more likely to resemble a gang-war as people with similar values band together in order to ensure survival as the government works to put itself back into a position to restore order. I do not think that such a scenario will cover every square mile of the U.S. But I think if the anti-gunners want to pick apart the reasons why a gun enthusiast wants a stack of 30 round magazines for his AR-15, they are better off picking apart the actual scenario that the gun enthusiast actually expects.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM

356 posts, read 513,556 times
Quote:

On a different note:

I would have placed drones first, but I agree. I could have 15 AR-15s with max round capacity and wouldn't even know a strike was eminent. Of course if people let the government trounce their 2nd amendment rights, they'll have no problem letting them shred their 10th amendment either.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 AM

918 posts, read 983,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I am a staunch conservative and voted for Tancredo in the governor's race in 2010. I had been pleasantly surprised by Hick and was considering a vote for him in 2014. I won't vote for him now. Just him voicing his support for these bills is enough to sway me away from supporting his reelection bid. I will make good on my promise to change my residency, but not before voting against Hick in next year's election.
You voted for a draft-dodger? A coward even? Come on man.

(I'll admit that military service is a major political litmus test of mine. If you are a politician that employs a lot of national defense rhetoric and went out of your way to avoid serving the nation, you get a huge black-mark in my book. Prior to the abolishment of conscription this was pretty cut and dry.)

Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Oh ok what? That manufacturers and consumers get more costs and headache and for what exactly?

I have a big problem with people that just cram laws in because "We have to do something!" and they don't care what that imposes on other people and it accomplishes nothing. The lefties are all about emotion and never care about the results.

I also don't think they seem to grasp when you surrender yourself in such a way to government you open it up for more abuse.
The bills that will be passed are just not something that upset me as I don't think they went to far. In the end I don't think this will be a major topic for most voters either.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 AM

77 posts, read 95,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Translation: It doesn't affect me, so I don't care.

This scenario is a favorite for the anit-gunners to quote. It's a bit of a straw man in its own right, but I'll play along for the sake of discussion. All that stuff takes money and resources to operate. More importantly, it takes skilled and trained operators. Who do you think these skilled and trained operators are? They are regular guys who have families at home and friends in towns across this country.

I think that more people are not expecting an all out war with our own government, but that government will reach a point where it can no longer maintain civility, resulting in a breakdown of order. Think Greece, but on a much larger scale. I think (and I hope that we never reach this point) that a worst case scenario is more likely to resemble a gang-war as people with similar values band together in order to ensure survival as the government works to put itself back into a position to restore order. I do not think that such a scenario will cover every square mile of the U.S. But I think if the anti-gunners want to pick apart the reasons why a gun enthusiast wants a stack of 30 round magazines for his AR-15, they are better off picking apart the actual scenario that the gun enthusiast actually expects.

I'll be honest with you: a lot of people would think these thoughts reek of paranoia. And a paranoid person is not the one that I would want to have "a stack of 30 round magazines for his AR-15". Yours is not a common worldview, in my opinion, and the shock at the NRA's response to Sandy Hook gives me comfort that I'm in the majority of Americans in this case. But the voters in 2014 will tell which view has more supporters--prepping for calamity vs. attempting to reduce the severity of gun violence through minor regulations.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I am disappointed that the campus gun ban did not pass. It is insane that one has to worry about people walking around with guns on campus; once there is a Democratic majority on the Board of Regents, perhaps another effort can be launched to reverse this, if not sooner.

On the other hand, the magazine limit bill passed and that is fantastic. Onward with more anti-slaughter legislation.
Have you not taken note the few mass shootings that have occurred in this country, including the Aurora shooting, most of which have been in "gun free" zones?

Do you think that if a crazy nut job like the guy at Virginia Tech wants to come on campus and shoot it up, he's going to go "OMG! This is a gun free zone, I better stop right now!"? As I recall, crazy man at VT used 10 round magazines as well.

I'd like to know how you think being a mass of defenseless people with a sign over your head saying you are in a defenseless zone somehow stops you from those crazy people?

I'd rather put it in their mind that there are quite a few people around ready to shoot back, so if they try anything it's game on.

I can tell you if such a ban did exist and I was a student, I would simply break the law and still conceal carry.

What I see from a lot of this is another example of citizens passing their responsibility off to the government in the hopes government will take care of them and protect them. Whether it is retirement, health care, food in the form of EBT cards, their employment situation, their transportation and of course their personal defense. I think it's an unrealistic expectation to expect police officers to be there in a split second to fix your problem.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 AM

356 posts, read 513,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Have you not taken note the few mass shootings that have occurred in this country, including the Aurora shooting, most of which have been in "gun free" zones?

Do you think that if a crazy nut job like the guy at Virginia Tech wants to come on campus and shoot it up, he's going to go "OMG! This is a gun free zone, I better stop right now!"? As I recall, crazy man at VT used 10 round magazines as well.

I'd like to know how you think being a mass of defenseless people with a sign over your head saying you are in a defenseless zone somehow stops you from those crazy people?

I'd rather put it in their mind that there are quite a few people around ready to shoot back, so if they try anything it's game on.

I can tell you if such a ban did exist and I was a student, I would simply break the law and still conceal carry.

What I see from a lot of this is another example of citizens passing their responsibility off to the government in the hopes government will take care of them and protect them. Whether it is retirement, health care, food in the form of EBT cards, their employment situation, their transportation and of course their personal defense. I think it's an unrealistic expectation to expect police officers to be there in a split second to fix your problem.
When seconds count, police are just minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or