Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,954,697 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that nobody has started a thread to discuss these proposed laws. For those of you who are not familiar:

House Bill 1224 limits ammunition capacity to 15 rounds.

House Bill 1226 banned concealed carry permits on college campuses and was killed by its sponsor.

House Bill 1228 imposed a fee for background checks.

House Bill 1229 proposes universal background checks, including private sales and transfers.

Senate Bill 195 bans online certification for concealed carry permits, requiring people to attend in person.

Senate Bill 196 holds manufacturers and sellers of semiautomatic weapons liable for violence committed with them and was killed by its sponsor.

Only one bill has cleared the house and senate, HB 1224. Governor Hickenlooper has voiced his support for this bill and will sign it, along with any others that reach his desk. The others have been returned the house for amendments. I am curious what the general state of mind amongst Coloradans regarding these proposals is. I know it's a state with a long history of rugged independence and a state that held firearms ownership.

I am a bit disappointed in the way the legislators have handled this. Some have made statements along the lines of "women don't know when they're being raped" (Joe Salazar) and another, Evie Hudak, told a rape victim who was testifying that a gun would not have helped her. That victim, Amanda Collins, was a student in Nevada where the statehouse in its infinite wisdom made the worlds a safer place for rapists by passing a law banning concealed carry on campuses. Collins responded to Hudak, “Respectfully Senator, you weren’t there. Had I been carrying concealed, he (my attacker) wouldn’t have known I had my weapon. And I was there. I know without a doubt in my mind at some point I would’ve been able to stop my attack by using my firearm.” I applaud her courage for sharing her testimony as well as maintaining a standard of professionalism certainly not displayed by a Colorado elected official.

I understand that people feel like they have to do SOMETHING in response to the mass shootings. But I question where these laws would have done any good had they been on the books. It seems like the response has targeted law abiding citizens rather than address the root of the problem. It is the equivalent to the state putting restrictions on your car because someone else got a DUI, or worse, used his vehicle as a weapon against someone else. If they are going to pass laws they should at least be laws that will contribute to solving a problem rather than impose restrictions on Colorado citizens.

I am a Colorado resident currently serving in the military and stationed in Virginia. I have followed the news about these proposals but from the East Coast it's hard to get a feel for how residents in the state feel. Is there a lot of support for these proposals?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,403,216 times
I am ok with the bills that have made it so far.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,954,697 times
Why is that?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,427,134 times
It's the last straw for me. There has been so much liberal legislation recently that we have decided Colorado will not work for us. I see the future and it's not the way we want to live.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM

17,691 posts, read 29,664,883 times
Default Not OK

I believe in the 2nd Amendment.
If you want to own "arms" then you must be a member of the "militia" [National Guard].
Not a member, then you can't own a gun.
Period.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 AM

8,600 posts, read 14,808,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
It's the last straw for me. There has been so much liberal legislation recently that we have decided Colorado will not work for us. I see the future and it's not the way we want to live.
Putting forth bad legislation is not the exclusive purvey of the Democrats. Republicans are equally adept at screwing the general population. Instead of attacking civil liberties they like to do things like making it easier for companies to send your job to cheap labor markets overseas. You can still own a gun but you're working a part-time job without benefits so you don't have enough money to buy one.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,428,954 times
I am satisfied with a 15 round limit, that's what I was hoping for anyway. The ban NY did at 7 or 10 was to extreme IMO. A Glock 19 comes with a factory 15 round mag I am satisfied. I support no loop hole in background checks. I also support gun owners paying for their own check. If you can't afford $10 on a $500 plus gun then you have no biz with a gun. And yes I am responsible gun owner for many years now.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM

77 posts, read 112,518 times
Default Armed everywhere? No thanks.

Speaking as someone who lives in the denser areas of the state around Denver, I am also fine with the laws that have been put forward so far. My general take is that I have no interest in anything close to a ban on firearms for hunting and recreation (despite my sympathies with davebarnes' interpretation of the second amendment, this is long settled by the Supreme Court). But I also strongly reject this notion put forward by the NRA that we should live in a society where we suspect everyone is armed to the teeth and therefore should arm ourselves. I've seen enough people lose control of themselves, be it road rage, long lines, or suspected insults after a drink or few, and frankly I don't want to live in a society where I feel so paranoid of danger from others that I must arm myself. It's just not my idea of freedom.

So magazine limits seem to be a good start that will limit the damage mass shooters can do. To me, this is similar to the safety requirements mandated for automobiles. It won't stop DUIs, but it can limit their damage. And having a universal method for background checks seem to be a no-brainer. Likewise, the right to carry a firearm does not equal a right to get them for free, so I feel that the people who want firearms should pay for their regulations. Gun ownership overall is on the decline, so I'm hopeful that will continue, leading to less gun violence overall. But it's a cherished right, regardless of arguments over the founders' intent in crafting the second amendment, and I respect that. I'd rather the NRA focus its efforts on emphasizing gun safety, as it used to, instead of fighting bogeymen and insisting that we all be ready to shoot each other at a moment's notice.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 AM

564 posts, read 1,871,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I believe in the 2nd Amendment.
If you want to own "arms" then you must be a member of the "militia" [National Guard].
Not a member, then you can't own a gun.
Period.
May your chains rest lightly upon you-

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on
Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

"The militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, ... all men capable of bearing arms;..."
— "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic", 1788 (either Richard Henry Lee or Melancton Smith).

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
— Tench Coxe, 1788.

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every police operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? If during periods of mass arrests people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever was at hand? The organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt."
— Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Nobel Prize winner and author of The Gulag Archipelago, who spent 11 years in Soviet concentration camps.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,428,954 times
I was just thinking about an undercover interview a reporter did in the last week with a hardened criminal and he suggested much longer prison sentences for people trafficking in guns. They mentioned 4 years is about a long as one gets and that's not much of a deterrent for his friends that run guns. Buy in gun friendly state drive to gun restricted state like NY or CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado