Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 09:56 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Someone on another forum actually made a good point. The lefty thinking is that oh you have to re-load after 15 rounds (assuming they couldn't use the other mags, which they still easily could.) and that will provide a few seconds to intervene.

Holmes's gun jammed and nobody intervened. This also happened at Columbine and other shootings as well.
Yes. And the Columbine killers and Virginia Tech wacko had 10 round magazines as well.

I was just watching video of a state trooper friend. He is well practiced of course, but he can change mags in a Glock in about 1/3 of a second.

Also let's not forget the Aurora wacko had his apartment building wired up like a bomb, that if it had gone off, might have been a couple times more devastating.

On the whole when you look at statistics, compared to all deaths, these incidents are a rare anomaly in a country of 315 million people. They are incidents that are sensationalized by the media and hawked by them until the next headline story.

The best prevention I can think of is well armed and well trained citizens.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 AM

50,273 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Have not been a huge fan of Governor Hickenlooper, given his conservative outlook, but I am proud of him for passing anti-slaughter gun safety legislation. Way to go, Hick.

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper Signs Landmark Gun Control Bills Into Law
Ya sure, ok.

Both bills take effect July 1. People who currently own larger-capacity magazines will be able to keep them.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I can see Cheyenne, WY gun store owners licking their lips right now.
Me too, I bet they are dancing around their store to Lionel Richie's "Dancing on the Ceiling" right now as we speak.

Not only will people go over the border to get their mags, but lots of other stuff as well, depriving Colorado stores of income.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Me too, I bet they are dancing around their store to Lionel Richie's "Dancing on the Ceiling" right now as we speak.

Not only will people go over the border to get their mags, but lots of other stuff as well, depriving Colorado stores of income.
Might be a good idea to use cash though for those transactions.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
If we are talking strictly the economy this will have no meaningful impact on it. We have bigger things to worry about such as sequester in cities like Colorado Springs and more importantly technological unemployment as that will hit, and already is, every city in the state.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Now that some of the laws have passed, I've re-opened it for discussion. I want to see the discussion stick to the Colorado laws, i.e., which ones did and didn't pass and what you perceive the impacts are or aren't. If we get back into name calling, wild scenarios, and other stuff that seems like nonsense, then I'll close this thread for the last and final time and not allow any more threads on this topic. I may issue more infractions too for those who can't play nice.

IIRC there were 7 laws proposed, IIRC 3 were passed, 2 were withdrawn and 2 are still open for action.

Does anyone want to recap the 7 laws?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:58 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Now that some of the laws have passed, I've re-opened it for discussion. I want to see the discussion stick to the Colorado laws, i.e., which ones did and didn't pass and what you perceive the impacts are or aren't. If we get back into name calling, wild scenarios, and other stuff that seems like nonsense, then I'll close this thread for the last and final time and not allow any more threads on this topic. I may issue more infractions too for those who can't play nice.

IIRC there were 7 laws proposed, IIRC 3 were passed, 2 were withdrawn and 2 are still open for action.

Does anyone want to recap the 7 laws?
Just to claify, I think at this point speculation about the effectiveness and economic impacts of the new laws is relevant to the discussion. As the mod, would you agree?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM

Civil discussion of any aspects of these laws is welcome, even if only guessing the impacts.

What pains me as a reasonable person are wild-eyed crap about genocide is on the way, and all the other total BS that I read about in the 6-12 utterly stupid emails that I get every day from one of my pals who seems to hate the government (despite his Army pension, Federal Civil Service Pension and SS checks).

IMO this is like a lot of other things, once all the furor passes, nothing much is going to change. Really.

For example: Civil Unions are now okay in Colorado; the sky didn't fall, Pikes Peak is still standing, the sun is still shining, the Colorado River still flows downhill, and no gang of guv'mint goons are breaking down my door to take away the marriage license that will be 39 years old this Saturday. Despite all the heated rhetoric on that topic and how it's "the end of the world as we know it" (TEOTWAWKI) not a damned thing has REALLY changed, just that a few people are getting a new legal status.

When the dust settles in the gun "control" realm, not much will change. I favor universal background checks, especially for those with mental health issues.

If buyers have to pay for it, that's a cost of doing business, just like licenses for hunting, fishing, driving, flying, etc. One often has to pay for a credit check in many situations, whining about paying for is just the crocodile tears of cheapskates, so what else is new with our fellow citizens.

What has happened, be it gay rights, gun rights, air pollution, water pollution, horse slaughter, nuclear pollution, pink slime in ground beef, fracking pollution, etc, is that an unending stream of vile, ignorant, lying, BS viral emails has barraged and brainwashed tens of millions of Americans to believe topic X is an outrage that requires immediate action to send money to X cause or else it's TEOTWAWKI time. Head for the hills! End is near! The great collapse, calamity, outrage du jour is due ANY DAY NOW and we gotta FIGHT the power!!! Regardless of the issue, I say put your money BACK in your pocket and calm down, don't let them play you for your money and votes. Americans have forgotten how to THINK. The environmentalists, NRA, religious zealots, et al, know one thing, and they know it well: if they can make you fearful and/or angry, they GOT YOU where they can control you and suck the money from your wallet and your vote from your hands. As a nation, we really must stop falling for the outrage du jour.

So, all that being said, I don't expect anything to change out there, or in this thread. Within an hour there will be loony postings that will force my hand to close this thread, once and for all, and not allow any more threads in here on this topic. When that happens, I may move the thread to P&OC or just flush it.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-21-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM

356 posts, read 624,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO this is like a lot of other things, once all the furor passes, nothing much is going to change. Really.

For example: Civil Unions are now okay in Colorado; the sky didn't fall, Pikes Peak is still standing, the sun is still shining, the Colorado River still flows downhill, and no gang of guv'mint goons are breaking down my door to take away the marriage license that will be 39 years old this Saturday. Despite all the heated rhetoric on that topic and how it's "the end of the world as we know it" (TEOTWAWKI) not a damned thing has REALLY changed, just that a few people are getting a new legal status.
I agree Mike to some extent, however one is granting rights to people and the other is infringing on them. Huge difference IMO as the Government loves to take away rights bit-by-bit so to go unnoticed until most realize that their right has been completely abolished.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCO5280 View Post
I agree Mike to some extent, however one is granting rights to people and the other is infringing on them. Huge difference IMO as the Government loves to take away rights bit-by-bit so to go unnoticed until most realize that their right has been completely abolished.
No one is infringing on anyone's rights to own any of thousands of makes and models of firearms; long or short barrel, rifled or smooth bore, muzzle or breech loader, or how many of them. If I want a hundred generic hunting rifles, it'll still be perfectly legal for me to do so.

The issue here really is one of "where do we draw the line" on what is a reasonable weapon to own. IMO owning M1 tanks is not reasonable, nor howitzers, nor MRAPs, nor Bradleys, etc. Where we draw the line is not an easy issue to define and then fix our limits. Nor do I want a civilian version of an M1 tank or self-propelled howitzer. The only successful civilian version of Army hardware that quickly comes to mind is the HUMMER version of the HUMMV, but I see a lot fewer of them these days; fuel costs probably got them, but IMO they're much closer to being "industrial vehicles" than a family cruiser for a Sunday drive in the park.

But the zany ones out there have taken the "where do we draw the line" aspect and turned it inside out into a nutjob rant of "the guv'mint is gonna take all yer gunz." I visualize the "Floyd R Turbo" character of Johnny Carson days.

No matter the topic, those who can't maintain a civil, intelligent, logical stream of thought don't belong here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado