U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 PM

10,641 posts, read 11,032,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I think the positives of Alamosa are that you have Taos a little over an hour and a half south and Salida just a bit less north.
That's about it!
BTW, don't even think about eating sushi in Alamosa. On the face of it, it already sounds like a bad idea; the reality is worse though.
BTW, Salida is a super cool little town! If you end up in Alamosa, hand out in Salida when you can. Fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,022,369 times
Wink In and near Alamosa

No way around it, I'd choose Taos over Alamosa. But you already know that … or soon will.

On the plus side, you'll easily avoid the costs, traffic and rat race of Denver metro. As mentioned, Alamosa is the regional shopping center (and largest town) in the San Luis Valley. Which is good news if living there (versus, say, Bonanza), but for larger venues one is looking at a long trip to Pueblo or Colorado Springs, or south to Santa Fe or Albuquerque. You may as well find yourself running off to Taos at times for some "culture."

As also alluded to, Alamosa resides in a land of extremes with vast swings in temperature from day to night, and from season to season. Never as blazing hot as the Front Range at times, but often vying with Gunnison for record cold spot in Colorado and at times the United States. Nevertheless, a dry climate, lots of sun, and generally pleasant.

One could find a tree lined street in Alamosa. Although I second the notion of looking at Monte Vista. It resides 17 miles northwest of Alamosa on a two-lane state highway about as straight as an arrow. Even then, I question the commute, but it may be worth it to you. Likely your best option in any town within a reasonable commute.

Too bad, as my druthers would be farther west in South Fork, if not even a tad bit farther than that. One is on the edge of or in the San Juan Mountains then, and quite lovely. The town of Creede beyond that up along the Rio Grande River. The whole area is worth exploring, and at a minimum providing you with a great backyard (at a certain distance). The tall line of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains are of course closer to Alamosa, and with some outdoor potential as well. But you may find yourself angling west most often.

Closer to Alamosa, and just a bit north at the edge of town, a commercial swimming pool fed with natural hot springs. This could qualify as one bonus of living in Alamosa. A different ambience than the natural springs along the river outside of Taos, if you've been there, or indeed the nice commercial springs at Ojo Caliente.

Nor overlook that Alamosa is home of Adams State College. So indeed in a (small) college town with some of the amenities that offers.

Last edited by Idunn; 03-14-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 10:00 AM

129 posts, read 216,506 times
My mother had a job offer in Alamosa last year. She did not take it, but they took some time exploring. Both of them preferred the Del Norte area.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,451,157 times
I found the black ice east of Alamosa some of the toughest driving in winter I've ever experienced, & I've lived in Alaska, Montana, Colorado & NM.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM

9 posts, read 35,387 times
We are looking for a trailer park to move our 16x60 2009 manufactured home from Angel Fire, NM. to Alamosa, Mosca, Monte Vista area. Or possibly a parcel of land to lease or lease to own with well and septic already installed and hopefully power on lot or at lot. Does anyone know anything about any of the trailer parks in or around the above named areas? We want to move out of Angel Fire ASAP. We did buy a parcel of land in the San Luis Valley Ranches and were planning on moving to it once we could sell this house. However, even after doing a lot of research and the county having the parcel listed as residential, we were told by two other county departments the land is 'marshland' and the roads in that block are not on the county inventory for maintenance. So we are sort of back at square one. Angel Fire is a pretty place, but jobs are extremely scarce and we have to be able to work year-round. If anyone has any information about trailer parks, possible lots to lease/purchase please let me know. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado