U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 8,706 times

Advertisements

Howdy Folks!

So my husband and I just moved to Denver only to find out the company he is working for may want to send him to Alamosa. My heart is breaking but sometimes you just have to swallow it. Anyway, I am having trouble finding information on places to live in Alamosa. Also is it pet friendly? Are there any places to rent and how do I find them? Google does not seem to return much information in regards to housing. Plus any information regarding the perks of living in Alamosa would be great.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 PM

10,645 posts, read 11,044,366 times
Alamosa is a pretty small town, probably under 10,000 people. This could be part of why you're having trouble finding rental information, because the market is just not that big. Alamosa isn't a horrible town, but it's not going to make it on any of the Colorado top destinations pamphlets either. It's near the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Blanca Peak, so there are some awesome recreational opportunities there. It's on the floor of the San Luis Valley, at over 7,000 above sea level, so if you're having trouble breathing in Denver, you may struggle to get used to Alamosa.

Obviously if you like being close to big city amenities, you should try to talk your husband's company out of transferring you. If you don't mind small town life, you may enjoy Alamosa.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:01 PM

Thank you for the reply and the information. We just moved here from Taos, New Mexico and I did enjoy the small town living at times. But there are reasons we moved away from it...thank you again:-)

Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 PM

19 posts, read 25,404 times
You'll have to get used to the extreme cold, -30F in the winter isn't uncommon in Alamosa!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,802,953 times
First, the "bads"--depending on one's point of view. If you're looking for big-city amenities--shopping, fancy restaurants, etc.--Alamosa will be a miserable place for you. Alamosa also has one of the most rigorous climates in Colorado--extremely arid (the driest location in Colorado is Manassa, about 16 miles south and east of Alamosa), and quite cold in the winter. On the plus side, temperatures seldom rise above 90 in the summer and most summer nights drop below 50.

The entire San Luis Valley is heavily Hispanic, with most Hispanics tracing their roots back many generations in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. Culturally, the area has much more in common with New Mexico than Colorado. A fair chunk of the Anglo population in the San Luis Valley is Mormon. In that way, as well, Alamosa and the SLV differ culturally from the rest of Colorado. I've never had an issue with the SLV culture, but some may. Culturally, it would be much more like Taos than, say, like Denver.

Now, on the positive side, some of the absolute nicest, decent people that I've ever known in Colorado live in the SLV--both Hispanic and Anglo. I've always been treated well there--even in some places where "yuppie, big city Anglos" have been known to have some trouble--but I'm a long-time rural Coloradan, so I'm used to getting along with the rural folks.

Living in the SLV requires a completely different mindset than living in metro Colorado. The people who have adapted to the SLV's realities do great; those that don't usually don't last down there.

As for rentals, etc., you might check the Alamosa Courier online ( Breaking News from your Local News Source Leader in Alamosa, Colorado | Valley Courier ). Alamosa is the largest town and trade center in the SLV, but many people live in other towns in the valley and commute to Alamosa to work. I've always been partial to Monte Vista--a nice town a little closer (but not in) the mountains to the west. By the way, I have over 40 years of "boots-on-the-ground" familiarity with the SLV. Were it not for the ultra-dry climate of the SLV, I would probably choose to live there.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,456,374 times
I lived in Alamosa years ago and rented a beautiful old apartment. Alamosa is one of the coldest spots in the country, often being the record low nationwide.

The realty companies in Alamosa do property management. For example, here's a 4BR 2 Bth house for $1200:
Alamosa Colorado rentals - Alamosa homes for rent in San Luis Valley Colorado

The positive thing is that rentals are reasonably priced.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM

10,071 posts, read 13,974,613 times
Alamosa is like Indiana........Alamosa is the kind of town you drive through on to Pagosa Springs or Durango, Indiana is a fly over state on your way to somewhere else.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:56 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,314,088 times
I think the positives of Alamosa are that you have Taos a little over an hour and a half south and Salida just a bit less north.
That's about it!
BTW, don't even think about eating sushi in Alamosa. On the face of it, it already sounds like a bad idea; the reality is worse though.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM

I would like to thank everybody for their input! It has been very helpful and I do appreciate it!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM

13,967 posts, read 20,238,281 times
Default read this

somewhat related

Land in San Luis Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado