U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:34 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,063,686 times

Advertisements

Access to the back country is abundant in the area,
between Aspen and Crested Butte is a wilderness area.
Lots of hiking, biking and a couple of 4x4 trailes in the area, access isn't a proublem. Lost of Nat.forest areas too and some BLM land too.

I think it'll take a while for you to just explore the area trails so boredom should not be a problem.

Like everywhere there are a few property's that are posted no trespassing.

I don't think it will be hard to find the artist in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,543,217 times
You ask a lot hishi, so I'll try to respond the best I can.

I worked a lot in Aspen last decade.

Number one is that this area is a tourist destination. That means busy winter and summer seasons, with off seasons in between. That means a lot of people coming and going as tourists. It also means a lot of people moving in and out who are seasonal employees. It also means a lot of second home owners who stay there for varying periods of time.

So the real "local" full time year round folks are a small group of people who from what I can see have a wide variety of interests, wealth, employment and background. So there is a community of people, but how you will fit into that I have no idea.

Aspen as I always describe to people is a place of extremes. People do not seem to be middle of the road on anything. In fact when I would work over there(in the summer often I'd be over there for days) one of the things I enjoyed was sitting on the street and people watching. Everything from stunning women to all sorts of weirdos and freaks that make you laugh out loud. Aspen has quite the collection of interesting people.

There is plenty of access to nature, but you do need to be aware there is expensive private property on the edges of the valley and some of these places most people will never see or are aware of. Some have private security as well. Best thing is to get a map or know public access points and stay off private property. There is plenty of public land once you get out of the immediate area of the valley.

I think you will find that a lot of the working locals in order to make it there, work long hours during the seasons and might have multiple businesses/jobs.

Yes there is a bar scene and there is people using drugs. The people I saw into the drug scene was the sizable number of young ladies that populate the area looking for their rich husband. I'm sure others are mixed up in it as well, but I only saw a number of these ladies using.

Also there are quite a few celebs that either have homes or visit the area as it is Hollywood in the Rockies. I worked for and got to meet many of them. It is considered local etiquette that if you work for a celeb, encounter them at work or in public, that you do not rush them with "OMG I loved that movie you were in, can I have your autograph!".

It's a very interesting area and if you have the opportunity to live in Woody Creek for "practically nothing" then I would take up the offer and give it a try.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 PM

8 posts, read 25,889 times
thanks snowfarmer and wanneroo

FYI, I am not a celebrity groupie, nor do i really care about money in that sense.m
I am just looking to "come home" in a sense and would hopefully be working in my field, architecture. So perhaps the seasonal work wouldn't be as much of an issue for me. Of course, I'm not packing until either my husband or myself gets a job.

Thanks for all the info on accessing nature. Much appreciated.

I am really in love with carbondale and would prefer to eventually get a place there. Woodycreek is great, but I think I would prefer to live closer to a cafe, etc.

Any experience with getting professional work in the area? I feel pretty confident about my skills and think I have a shot with a good architecture firm. And being able to possibly have a virtually rent free place makes it easier for me to get my foot in the door salary speaking. Wondering about how people are in the work place?

Top of the line dress? Or more nature granola casual?
All serious business, or more health conscious in terms of sitting at a computer for hours at end.

thanks again!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,543,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hishi View Post
thanks snowfarmer and wanneroo

Thanks for all the info on accessing nature. Much appreciated.

I am really in love with carbondale and would prefer to eventually get a place there. Woodycreek is great, but I think I would prefer to live closer to a cafe, etc.

Any experience with getting professional work in the area? I feel pretty confident about my skills and think I have a shot with a good architecture firm. And being able to possibly have a virtually rent free place makes it easier for me to get my foot in the door salary speaking. Wondering about how people are in the work place?

Top of the line dress? Or more nature granola casual?
All serious business, or more health conscious in terms of sitting at a computer for hours at end.

thanks again!
I think you will have a tough or nearly impossible time getting work in your field. For starters the real estate development and redevelopment boom is over. It's a small market anyways with demanding clientele and plenty of well connected people already there to serve them.

No harm in trying though to land a position. You can give it a go and see. I just don't believe hardly any jobs in your field exist right now

If your work is really good then you can always open your own business.

My understanding from relatives in this business(they take work in the roaring fork valley if they can get it) is that most real estate construction and design companies have lost 80-90% of their income compared to 2007. Scores of people have had to leave and any employees left have often been asked to take up to 70% haircut on their salary.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,849,592 times
wanneroo wrote: Scores of people have had to leave and any employees left have often been asked to take up to 70% haircut on their salary.

And many others took a 100% paycut when their jobs dried up completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado