U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 4,424 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! This is my first post here :-)
I'm planning on moving to Colorado in(hopefully) January with my fiance and 3 kids. I've done quite a bit of research and after talking to my brother who lives in Denver I have came to the conclusion that Denver is not a good fit for us. I have a few questions for anyone familiar with this state.
First of all, I have a decent job at Walgreens that is willing to transfer to any store. So I will have employment when I get there. My fiance will not. He's a chef by profession, but is a sort of jack of all trades. Wr are moving from the St. Louis area. I plan to have about 8-10 thousand for the move when it comes time, with more expected come tax time. Here I'm considered "low income" and am on foodstamps only(I have medical insurance through my job). I despise winter! I understand snow is inevitable, but the less, the better. We are all very active, outdoorsy people who love to hike and sightsee, so ideally our new home would have a good view.. We aren't very picky about grass in the yard or the outward appearance of our home(simple is good) as we are rarely home on days off. Good schools are a must. Rural is fine, if not preferred. And we aren't opposed to mobile home communities(we currently live in one)
Now for my questions. What would be a good town to live in? Is 8-10 thousand enough for the move with only me having a guaranteed job? What are prices like(utilities, gas, grocery, etc)? Anything else we may want to consider before the move?
We plan to go in September for a week to check out the area, get a feel for it, and check out possible living arrangements. Where are some places we shouldn't miss? It won't really be a vacation, more of a research thing. Thanks in advance for all the help :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,424 times
You're right...it does sound mean. But I don't mind. I may not need to be on them, but anytime the government gives you something free, why not take it? I pay taxes, so I'm paying for it anyway. But thanks for the valuable input ;-)

Anybody have any real answers they can give me?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM

13,949 posts, read 20,201,871 times
Default I think I missed a snarky reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesakaso View Post
You're right...it does sound mean. But I don't mind. I may not need to be on them, but anytime the government gives you something free, why not take it? I pay taxes, so I'm paying for it anyway. But thanks for the valuable input ;-)
I think I missed a snarky reply to your original post. Darn. I love snarky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesakaso View Post
Anybody have any real answers they can give me?
1. Please use paragraphs as it helps with readability.
2. You did not do yourself a favor by mentioning foodstamps. The wild west Republicans and Libertarians will not be supportive.
3. Utilities - the electric utilities in the state are: Xcel Energy and various REAs. You can find their rates on their websites.
4. Grocery - higher. Kroger and Safeway control 75% of the market.
5. Gasoline - surf to GasBuddy
6. Rural - is not the rural of MO. Very different. Talk with your brother some more. Look at detailed population density maps to see the difference.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM

863 posts, read 1,310,261 times
What about winter do you not like? The snow? Wind? Cold temperatures? If you despise winter, you'll be unhappy here most of the year. This year is an anomaly, but it always seems that, here in the Springs at least, snow is the form of precipitation between October and April.

I think you'd have to find out where you can be transferred and then figure out your choices from there. You may prefer the more "rural" areas, but they may not have the jobs open for you. Also, if your husband is a chef, the more rural areas may not have jobs available for him. Your best bet would be to look along the Front Range in the bigger cities.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
Austin, San Antonio, Florida, Las Vegas (All are income TAX FREE and MUCH better "winter" climate and job potential for both. Nice places too (in many respects),

Colorado is likely to be VERY miserable for you (snow AND wind). and having a view is very unlikely from a rented home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or