U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 10,940 times

Advertisements

It is all very scary I am confident enough bartending and serving to feel like I can get a job anywhere. I am used to very high volume being slammed from open to close but I go to work here knowing what I will make everyday.when you are going in blind it is very scary no idea what you will make! I dont have to be in a resort area just thought I would make better money! But that doesnt seem to be the case out there!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 AM

356 posts, read 514,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Dansby View Post
Yes he does need a job also and we dont have to be at a ski area we drive 5 hrs to ski so even an hour would be wonderful! we just dont know what area to zone in on, very scary!!!
I would focus on the heart of Summit County (Silverthorne - Frisco) that way you maximize both your employment options. From Silverthorne you have Breck, Keystone, A-basin, Loveland and Copper Mountain as resorts with ample apre ski bars in the towns of Breck, Keystone, Silverthorne, Dillon and Frisco. You can look in Georgetown for living and commute over the pass into Summit which wouldn't be too terrible.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:34 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,431,146 times
If you don't have to deal with traffic (ie, you ski weekdays and not weekends), you can reach many of the ski resorts in Colorado from West Denver in about 1-1.5 hours. If you only ski weekends, then you can usually add another hour onto that commute.

The Western slope is much harder because you don't have the population for jobs. You could probably make good money bartending at a select few western resorts, like Telluride or Crested Butte, if you can land a job. It may be seasonal though and housing is going to be pretty expensive.

Are you limiting your search only to Colorado? You might look at places like Tahoe (you can live in Reno and commute-or work in Reno too), Oregon and Washington. I know, where I currently live, I am 30 minutes for amazing skiing. Jobs are hard though.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,026,414 times
Wink The bargain paid

Unless someone pops up here with first hand knowledge of typical resort bartending wages, you'll have to determine this for yourself. One place you might begin is with the local newspaper for Summit County: The Summit Daily News. Within it and the supplements found are advertisements for various restaurants, etc. One might perhaps contact some of these establishments directly to gain a better idea of their prospects.

The higher living costs in mountain resort areas is primarily due housing, and that in relation to all the many relatively low paying resort jobs on offer. A good many of their seasonal employees are only up there for a season or two for some fun in the sun, so willing to make such a bargain. Professional careers can be had, but these are all relatively small population centers and markets. Expenses such as groceries and petrol will generally be somewhat higher than along the Front Range, but securing affordable housing is the principle problem.

One might be tempted therefore to make a long commute to alleviate such a burden—even the impracticality of the far side of the Eisenhower Tunnel—but at best this will only lesson what are higher housing costs throughout the mountains. More likely a long commute will quickly prove unpleasant and quickly terminate any dream of remaining there for any duration. Wherever one ends up, it is best to live locally if at all possible. There can be long distances involved, and at times in difficult weather.

Anecdotal evidence has it that one can at times make sizable tips in the service industry within these resorts. God knows some of the clientele have enough money to be very generous without even noticing. If one is attuned to such things, then perhaps exactly where they need to be. Although also notice that most working these positions are not getting rich.

The Front Range can be considered the long thin band of urbanization stretching from Colorado Springs in the south to Fort Collins to the north. All this resides on the far western edge of the Great Plains stretching well east into Kansas, from Texas north into Canada. Directly to the west or this urban area rise the abrupt flank of the Rocky Mountains, or Front Range.

Most of Colorado's population resides here due its relatively temperate weather, and as where most of the services and employment is. For most professional careers this is where one will need to be. Also, for that matter, where most of the major hotels are located. Hyatt, in example, has large resort properties in places such as Breckenridge, but more properties along the Front Range. A wide variety of service jobs are naturally on offer in this region; if the caution that Colorado's economy, as the greater United States, is not all that robust at the moment. The attraction, aside from the larger market to choose from, is that housing and all else is simply more affordable than in the mountains. If a rough parity between what one might earn in the mountains versus the Front Range, then practicality suggests the latter as one's domicile.

It is different within the mountains. No doubt. In certain hardships, as well as the pleasures to be had. And if one is keen on skiing then no comparison between being there, compared to fighting all the others in driving to and fro on I-70. But unless one is determined and with the skills that could make it more practically possible, it is simply easier to settle like the majority along the Front Range.

The dream for many are snowcapped peaks, most likely viewed at times from a vantage in Denver and its greater metro area. To actually live in their realm is something else altogether. And demands a price paid in one way or another. In time you'll know if worth the bargain.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:52 AM

5 posts, read 10,940 times
Thank you so much for everyones help, Change in plans my husband was offered a great job in FT Collins so thats where we r headed!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,431,146 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for everyones help, Change in plans my husband was offered a great job in FT Collins so thats where we r headed!
Fort Collins is a great city! It is a little far from downhill skiing. Hard to do a day trip to the mountain, unless you look at Eldora outside of Boulder (great ski hill, IMO). Good luck with your move!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 PM

2,019 posts, read 4,327,292 times
Congrats on your husband's job and your move to Colorado. Ft. Collins is a nice place to live and you won't have to drive 5 hours to ski
Delta is right, the closest ski area to FC is Eldora near Nederland which is 1 hr. 40 min. away. Eldora Mountain Resort - Home
There's a small ski area in WY (Snowy Range) which is approximately 1 hr. 50 min. away. Snowy Range Ski and Recreation Area*|*Official Site
Loveland ski area and Arapahoe Basin are approximately 2 hours away.
Best of luck to you!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:04 PM

12 posts, read 15,584 times
I bartend in Breck. I'm not at the busiest bar, so a good day is $250, and a great day is $300. There are a few months between Winter and Summer called Mud Season. Many restaurants and bars just shut down, The few that are open are definitely slower.

Plenty of serving and bartending jobs out here for the right type of person!

Old 05-06-2015, 08:34 PM

695 posts, read 803,192 times
Quote:
Yes he does need a job also and we dont have to be at a ski area we drive 5 hrs to ski so even an hour would be wonderful! we just dont know what area to zone in on, very scary!!!
With all the people moving here, in a few years the drive from Denver to Breckenridge will probably be 5 hours, especially on weekends. Déjà Vu.

Last edited by JohnnyDenver; 05-06-2015 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado