U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM

5 posts, read 10,922 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina which is very much a tourist town, I am a bartender. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what bartenders and servers make in Breckenridge ( wanting to relocate there ) and what is a close town outside of it with decent rent!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 02:26 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,020,003 times
Wink Breckenridge local

People obviously work as bartenders in Breckenridge; living there is possible if determined enough.

The work, quite possibly as in Myrtle Beach as well, tends to be seasonal in nature with highs and lows. At the lower echelons, it is not uncommon to have more than one gig to fill in the gaps.

Breckenridge, as you might surmise, is an expensive place to live. If of course in a lovely location, and an attractive tourist town. Some drive over Hoosier Pass (11,542 feet elevation) to Alma or Fairplay towards less expensive housing. Alma is a small place—and at an elevation of 10,578 feet, the highest incorporated town in the United States (many never having heard of it, and assuming Leadville is at 10,152 feet)—and aside from the little matter of crossing that high pass winter or summer on a daily basis, neither it or Fairplay bear much resemblance to the ambience of Breckenridge. They are different animals.

Most of one's other options in housing reside in southern Summit County, in fairly close proximity to one another. Compared to Breckenridge, most anything else should be less expensive, but that isn't saying much. Frisco would be the closest, then at a slight remove Dillon or Silverthorne. Keystone, just up the road from that, is a resort, so not much in the way of savings there. Silverthorne may prove the least expensive. Leadville—over a different pass, and in another county—with greater savings, and some commute in from there. But if to Breckenridge and willing to commute as far, it makes more sense to head to Fairplay.

The thing is that even relatively close Frisco would prove a commuting pain, what with the heavy traffic on CO 9. And, as said, Hoosier Pass is not exactly a picnic. Chances are you'll end with roommates through necessity; but working and living in Breckenridge on a relative pittance has been done before. One might seriously consider it, as, aside from being just a nice town, at the end of the day who really wants to possibly brush more snow off the car and then drive somewhere? In winter particularly, that gets old pretty fast. You'll pay for it, but a lot to be said for living within Breckenridge itself.

If it does come to it, remember that Summit County offers an excellent free shuttle service with their Summit Stage buses. They regularly cover the main attractions in the county. If living near the bus line, it would be a good way commute in to Breckenridge. Possibly within town to an extent as well, if living within Breckenridge. Not sure on this, but at least in season Breckenridge may well offer free shuttles of its own to locations within town.

Breckenridge, by the way, resides at an elevation of 9,600 feet. Aside from both subsisting on tourism, it will not otherwise have much in common with Myrtle Beach. If that perhaps part of the attraction.

Last edited by Idunn; 03-24-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 02:52 PM

Thank you for the info, Have a husband and daughter so roomates is not an option! I am well aware not the same as the beach! We hate the heat and spend all extra money taking ski trips so it seems like a smart move but I know what I will make a night here so its scary. Would you suggest any other ski towns!!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:15 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,812,299 times
I have some friends that live in the Dillon, Frisco, Silverthorne area and work in Breck. I'm pretty sure they take a free bus into Breck. They live in nice condos/townhomes and enjoy it.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Default They all have the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Dansby View Post
Would you suggest any other ski towns!
Here is the difference between Myrtle Beach and Colorado ski towns as I see it (and, I am not an expert on SC at all).

In Colorado, each ski town is somewhat or very much isolated.
Look at Aspen, Telluride, Monarch, Wolf Creek and Purgatory.
There is only one road to access the town.
In Winter, that road can be awful. As in, death defying.

And, if there is a nearby town (e.g., Breck to Frisco) that town is also a tourist town with corresponding prices.
You cannot live within 20+ miles of Keystone and be in an affordable town.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,020,003 times
Wink Ski resort realities

Yes, a family would be different. The advice given was geared more towards someone young and free, as is often the case there in those with such dreams. In such circumstances one tends to be more flexible, at least for a year or two until reality catches up with most.

Ski towns by their very nature tend to be expensive. So even if finding a way to live there, one had best accept at the outset the costs in various ways in doing so. As so often true, the experience in living there versus visiting is rather different.

Summit County might be one of the more realistic prospects, given its larger market. One of the better ways to work there and make a decent living would be as a dentist or some such in a town like Frisco (which is quite nice, but not a ski town per se). Telluride, on the other hand, is a small town by itself and far more remote. Exclusive, and I imagine all the harder a place to make ends meet if working; most with employment likely do not live in town, but long commutes.

As something off the beaten path, you might try Silverton. It now has an extreme skiing area right outside of town, so some changes in result, but otherwise remains the former mining town and county seat of San Juan County it has always been. With, I might add, somewhat limited job prospects, but maybe one could be county commissioner or something.

Silverton also serves as a good example of the different ambiences one might expect. Telluride has grown somewhat larger, but is far more cosmopolitan. A remote ski town like Crested Butte will be and seem more quaint than what is the large resort of Vail.

Down the hill from Silverton, in Durango, one will find a substantially larger market in that regional town for southwest Colorado. With better prospects of conventional employment, although it is not an inexpensive place to live. Nor a ski town, exactly, with the ski area (formerly known as Purgatory) at a remove to the north. There is not really a town at Purgatory, but more of a seasonal resort base.

Something that might actually work is if one worked in Boulder, but commuted in from Nederland. And in this example not from Nederland, but just up the mountain near the small ski area of Eldora. There is a quite small town of the same name situated in the river valley below that ski area. Whether near the ski area or in "town," in all instances more like being in a cabin out in the woods. Nederland, if small, is the actual town in the area with services, such as a grocery.

As you might see, this is not always a simple or easy thing. It helps to show up with a trust fund, which is more often the arrangement by those owning the beautiful large homes one will find in these resorts. Those actually working there are more often choosing to live there at some sacrifice. One will have an easier time of it in the Denver metro area.

But that isn't the same, is it?

Last edited by Idunn; 03-24-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,422,340 times
Does your husband need a job also? Are you determined to live in a ski town or would you consider living within proximity to skiing? If you are bartending in Summit County, you will most likely end up working more than one job. You might not have much time for skiing. If I were you, I'd consider the Denver metro area for living. While it's not resort town, it would be much more realistic than trying to make a living in a very pricey resort town.

I used to live in Fairplay and my husband did the commute to Breckenridge on a daily basis. It got old quick. And, as Idunn already stated, it's a different world compared to Breck.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 PM

19 posts, read 25,369 times
Id go with Silverthorne or Frisco just because of the commute to Breckenridge. Hwy 9 can have some traffic, but the commute usually is doable year round. Fairplay and Alma are extremely different from Breck. The drive over Hoosier Pass can be quite slow and icy. The north side of the pass has an 8% grade and sometimes drivers don't take precautions, resulting in accidents that back up traffic even more.

In Fairplay or Alma, some services are very limited. Cell phone reception can be very poor to nonexistant on the other side of the pass. Major medical assistance, if needed, would be a good 30 miles away in Frisco. Gas is usually a little more expensive in Park County. Internet and TV could cost more depending on your housing location as well.

You might be better off in other resort towns. Id research all of the options. There are many to choose from.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Yes he does need a job also and we dont have to be at a ski area we drive 5 hrs to ski so even an hour would be wonderful! we just dont know what area to zone in on, very scary!!!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 AM

863 posts, read 1,310,057 times
Most ski areas are about 2, 2.5 hours from the Front Range. The Front Range (Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Fort Collins, as examples) are all cities along the Front Range, and you can find more jobs in that area, and living will be less expensive as well. The Western Slope is a good choice as well; I am simply not familiar enough with driving times to be able to suggest anything on that side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado