Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Graduate looking to rent: job search , safe area, Communications and Marketing degree

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:07 PM

9 posts, read 32,033 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a recent (soon to be) graduate from Michigan and I am looking to move to Colorado. I was hoping to get some information from some of the natives from Colorado. No, I do not have a job yet, but I do have several connections and I will have a job lined up before I get there. That is my goal anyway. SO..now that that's out of the way.

I am not crazy about the snow, but I am from Michigan so I am definitely used to it. I think that the mountains are beautiful out there (because I have been there before for a short time) and I like the city life, but not too crazy. I am 23, single, white, female and I will be starting my life there all on my own. So I am looking for a safe area. I have been lurking around these forums for a while now, gathering information and I have gotten the overall concensus that it is #1 hard to find a job so you better have one before you get there. #2 cost of living is very high and people who live in Colorado actually "pay to live there."

I get that these are hurtles that I will have to jump over when the time comes. I was just wondering what cities are best for someone like me...looking to rent and also to meet new people my age because I have no family in Colorado. Is it possible for me to make this reality???? Or am I crazy for even considering Colorado. I do not have alot of money and my first job out of college with a Communications and Marketing degree will probably only pay $30,000..at most to start off. At least that is what I am figuring.

I have the most connections in Fort Collins Area if that helps anyone. I would really appreciate any advice or insight on my questions..I also thank you for your comments ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 05:13 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
First get the job. We assume you already have an idea of rent and that the $30K will be enough for you.
Then find a place that is near where you work. The forum can help you find a place once you let them know where you work.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:41 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
I would also say Ft. Collins seems to have a lot of underemployed individuals. I wouldn't rule out a job search there by any means, but also look around Denver, which is the big city in Colorado, and also Colo. Springs.

Good luck!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:32 PM

5 posts, read 14,723 times
Hello fellow Midwesterner!!!
I moved recently from Wisconsin to Pueblo, and let me tell you....I absolutely HATE it here. It is dusty, brown, dry and not to mention no decent jobs that pay well.
I miss the green, the lakes, the city. Too rural here. If you like any of those things, Colorado may not be for you.

For crying out loud, it just snowed here last week and has been colder here than it has been in Wisconsin lately!!!! What's up with that???? I'm not saying that you too will hate it, but it is a big change from the Midwest in the area you are in, so just a heads up.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:22 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,530,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlilac View Post
Hello fellow Midwesterner!!!
I moved recently from Wisconsin to Pueblo, and let me tell you....I absolutely HATE it here. It is dusty, brown, dry and not to mention no decent jobs that pay well.
I miss the green, the lakes, the city. Too rural here. If you like any of those things, Colorado may not be for you.

For crying out loud, it just snowed here last week and has been colder here than it has been in Wisconsin lately!!!! What's up with that???? I'm not saying that you too will hate it, but it is a big change from the Midwest in the area you are in, so just a heads up.
If you like endless gray skies, mosquitoes, nondescript geography, and SAD then Wisconsin is the place for you.

We need to change the tally:

People who prefer Colorado weather over Wisconsin weather: 178,853
People who prefer Wisconsin weather over Colorado weather: 7

Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,908,603 times
Quote:
Don't judge the entire state of CO because you don't like Pueblo. It's like someone in Needles,CA saying CA is too hot, brown, dusty and doesn't have any shopping. BTW-I happen to agree with you about Pueblo. But I know a lot of folks who love it there. We live in Monument and our experience is much different from yours. Maybe you should look further north if jobs are a source of disappointment. CO, like most states, has a lot of choices based on personal preferences and economic situation.

Quote:
Hi, I am a recent (soon to be) graduate from Michigan and I am looking to move to Colorado
if possible, take some time to drive around and get a feel for areas that have some potential for employment. After securing a job you can always 'fine tune' your life while renting and getting to know the area.
Good Luck

Old 10-27-2007, 11:39 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,969,528 times
Wink Ft. Collins

To put it quite succinctly: Move to Ft. Collins.

You may decide otherwise in time, perhaps prefer a larger community such as Colorado Springs or Denver. Maybe you'll even come to prefer a community in the mountains. But entirely aside from your connections, you'll probably find that Ft. Collins has the right mix of ambience, size and opportunity. In many respects it also enjoys a very good location as well.

Your friends may have told you as much already.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 32,033 times
Thank you for your comments. They are a big help. I know some people will disagree with each other, but I am always taking each and every comment with a grain of salt and taking what I find most helpful out of each. I do have plenty of chances to go out to Colorado before hand with my dad since he travels alot out to Fort Collins area. So I will definitely get a chance to explore for myself. Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:48 PM

5 posts, read 14,723 times
K Charles.
Well, whatever. Obviously, you've never been to Wisconsin, and your little tally is a joke for sure.
I don't really give a hoot to your opinion. To each his own. You love CO, then good for you, because you can have it!!!

I wasn't looking for arguments from anyone, just giving info to a fellow Midwesterner as things are far different here than there and they ought to know that.
Riddens.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:06 PM

260 posts, read 1,436,148 times
I think the job opportunities around Denver or Boulder will be far more numerous than in the Ft. Collins area. I liked Ft. Collins (went to college there) ... but jobs seemed a little skimpy ... but it has improved in the last 20 years.

Boulder is really a cool town with lots of jobs, but housing is very expensive.

I live in Castle Rock, 15-25 min south of Denver and find it still has a small town feeling, but is close enough to work in Denver if you don't mind a little commuting.
The cost of living is a little lower, but the weather a little cooler than denver, boulder or ft collins. (higher and more mountainous, more like Co. Springs or monument).

The perception that Colorado has really rough winters is bunk. It is true that last winter was awful, but it was the worse in the 31 years I have lived here -- by far!
It was not at all typical. Coming from Minnesota myself, MN and MI on average get more snow and it stays frozen a lot longer, compared to Colorado. We got married on Dec 30 and it was 68!

If you like lots of sunshine, Colorado is great. If you the outdoors, camping, skiing, hiking -- great again.

The summer beauty will not match Michigan -- but I love it -- its different.

No god awful humidity -- and the summer isn't very hot compared to most other places. The winter is exaggerated. If your a real whimp, then yeah, Colorado isn't for you. Buy many CA and TX transplants have moved here and fallen in love with it.

The hardest part of CO, is the lack of naturally occuring trees and vegetation. Most of the cities are built on the great plains bordering the mountains. Things are green for a month or two in spring, then brown up as summer heat occurs.

Many people that currently live in Colorado originally came from the midwest states and love Colorado. In the last 10 years, its been more from CA and TX.

I used to live in Highlands Ranch and if I was your age, I would consider it ... as the amenities are great. 4-5 rec centers, miles of walking paths, mtn views, family-oriented, good demographics, amenties galore ... and 20 min from the DTC or 30 min from downtown denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado