U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,020,776 times

Advertisements

You may wish to consider how important snow is to your family.

One residence you listed is in Pueblo, a place most do not move to for snow. It does snow there on occasion, in a tentative and limited sort of way. Then also the question of the commute to Colorado Springs, unless planning on working locally in that somewhat challenged job market.

For that matter, the entire Front Range is bound to be one big continuing disappointment to any real lover of snow. Many like it precisely for that, in that the snow from any storm can reliably be expected to have soon mostly melted away in the sun. One will have to move into the foothills or a canyon before much snow is retained, and even there not to much of an extent.

No doubt in having lived in Alberta and Michigan you'll be used to colder weather, and Colorado's winters may even seem somewhat balmy in comparison. But if the idea is to have snow on the ground from first snowfall until spring you'll need to live in the high country within the mountains. Even there it gets busy melting after a storm, only there are more storms, a greater snowfall, and the colder temperatures necessary for preserving some semblance of a white winter landscape. And if this the idea, then in choosing the mountain local where it tends to snow enough and is retained, versus just mostly cold and most of the snow blowing off somewhere else.

Maybe none of this matters, or just a lower priority. But if moving to Colorado and expecting abundant snow will naturally come with the territory, think again. There are other places in the West—as with the Cascade Mountains—which routinely receive a LOT more snow than many places in Colorado, and especially the Front Range. But if the occasional snow storm, and a few inches on the lawn for a day or two will suffice, then one might be happy. If not, or this more of a priority, then one facet of the search should be where one can realistically expect the amount of snow they will be content with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 09:15 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
rachelmc wrote: I thank you for giving me a reality check because dreamers like myself need that in life.

We are ALL dreaming, but most of the dreams are dreams of security, security, and more security, with no awareness that security is also a dream. For whatever reason, only the dreams including an element of risk and adventure are recognized as dreams, while the dream of security is thought of as waking reality.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 AM

11,628 posts, read 7,203,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
rachelmc wrote: I thank you for giving me a reality check because dreamers like myself need that in life.

We are ALL dreaming, but most of the dreams are dreams of security, security, and more security, with no awareness that security is also a dream. For whatever reason, only the dreams including an element of risk and adventure are recognized as dreams, while the dream of security is thought of as waking reality.
CW, my dear, I assure you that my security is pretty secure. I roll with a backup plan to my backup plan to my plan. My budget extends to the end of next year. I can adjust for changes, but I always come out on top.

But then...I'm a Capricorn. And I'm absurdly typical of everything said about them. We are the masters of creating our own structured little worlds...
I dream...but I don't take risks...and I don't advise others to leap without looking. But she came back and explained just how well prepared she is for this, so I adjusted my earlier words.

Hope you have a wonderful day amigo!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM

12 posts, read 12,140 times
I live in CT.. .for now and made a post very similar to yours a couple months ago. All I can say is don't let any forum troll low lifes stop your dream. There are plenty of good people on here willing to help, so just don't let the losers get you down. I'll PM you with some info my wife and I got thanks to some of the good people.
Good luck!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 PM

276 posts, read 606,825 times
I've already PMed the op, but thought I'd say this for anybody else with a similar situation. You should seriously consider Pueblo West. Good school system, very affordable cost of living, and an outstanding place for recreational activities due to the city of Pueblo.

They have the Riverwalk, amazing restaurants, sunny days, some snow every now and again, a beautiful downtown, and a lot going on with festivals and other activities.

I am really looking forward to this summer so I can partake in some FUN and LIVE LIFE! One caveat, the job market is though in Pueblo, but while Colorado Springs is larger and has significantly more companies, they are also 4 times the size so don't have enough opportunities to serve their population. Colorado Springs has also managed to go from being THE place to live during the 1990s to the place to STAY AWAY from during the new century. Frankly, I'm not sure if there is another city in the nation who has made as many mistakes as CS.

Living in Pueblo West, Colorado Springs serves as a potential place to shop (although coming from the East, it's hardly impressive on that front either), so I really only do so a couple of times a year.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM

I don't know, I like living in the Springs. *shrug*

But seriously I also think that just because it doesn't snow a lot in a specific spot here, don't count it out. Because you often can still look out a window and see the snow covered mountains, and drive a short distance to a place where there's snow to play in, especially if you are able and equipped to drive in snow. Now there is another consideration...snow driving. I hate it. I would avoid living on a hill because of the possibility I'd have to traverse it on snow or ice. But for lots of folks here, that is a non-issue.

Of course if you hope to live in a house that is perpetually dumped-upon by massive amounts of the white stuff, you might consider states to the north of here. Maybe Montana?

Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 PM

8 posts, read 10,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Of course if you hope to live in a house that is perpetually dumped-upon by massive amounts of the white stuff, you might consider states to the north of here. Maybe Montana?
If snow was the only factor or even a huge factor then I would perhaps move to one of the more northern states or even Canada. Actually snow is a big factor for me since I love it so much but within reason. There are tons of other reasons I chose Colorado over other states like Alaska and Michigan that get more snow. Plus just snow by itself is not good enough, it has to be snow + mountains and Colorado is as outdoorsy as it gets (at least from what I have surmised) for a nature fan such as myself. Did you guys know Colorado has been voted the 'thinnest' state in the US year after year? Something about fewer fast food joints but what I suspect is, it has something to do with the mountains+snow being so breathtaking people can't help but go for a jog or hiking or the million other things there are to do when inspired by beautiful scenery. I am by no means putting CO on a pedestal. Every state is known for different things. From living in Texas I have heard time after time how everything is bigger and better in Tx. When it comes to land I know TX is one of the few states where you can get much more home for your money than any other state in the US. They also have no state taxes which is a plus. Michigan on the other hand, at least in Grand Rapids where we were is very white (I don't just mean the snow either), pretty much everyone is upper class, it is also very Christian. The schooling there is exceptional to say the least. Tons and tons of private schools, colleges, universities. The college I attended (Calvin College) had a 90%+ hire rate IN the field you majored in, most who secured jobs in their fields before they graduated. I can see why many would want to make these other states their home states, for us it is Colorado.

Back on topic: I have narrowed it down to West Pueblo. One of the posters here was kind enough to provide me with information on literally every single concern I had voiced in my original post, plus some! It really seems like a home run to me as far as churches, affordability (apartment wise), call center jobs, and schools for our young son. I have been looking at different weather websites- the snow is there (not as much as I would like but it IS there), and it is a couple hours drive away from the Rocky mountains. It is not important to me the demographics as far as minorities go, even though there are stereotypes associated with that, it does not matter to me what color skin I am surrounded by. Perhaps it is because I am Indian (dot kind not feather ) and I am married to a Caucasian. Furthermore, I am also not concerned with the politics of the city even though we are a conservative family. So while it may be a very liberal city that does not deter me in the least.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 PM

8 posts, read 10,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post

I wanted to add, to me a dream is anything the heart longs for that is out of reach for the time being. There can very well be dreams of security where one dreams of saving enough money that they can retire comfortably on for instance. To me that is dreaming as opposed to reality even though it has to do with security. The different between reality and dreaming to me is when we acquire those things we dream about, the precise moment of that acquisition is when they become reality. So really it's just a matter of time if you really think about it, not at all a matter of risks/adventures/spontaneity being involved/factored in.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM

Regarding Colorado being considered the "thinnest" state...the factors I consider to probably be most relevant:

1.) I suspect, but don't know for a fact, that it may be difficult for folks who are heavy enough to suffer significant health issues (breathing/heart) to cope with the altitude. I do know that I had a significant adjustment period, even though I'm thin, I'm a smoker and not in the best shape. I used to get episodes of fatigue so intense I had to sit down, dizziness, etc. especially if I exerted myself. It took me a few months to get adjusted.

2.) The outdoorsiness does prompt a lot of exercise. I also think that this is why dog ownership is so popular in this state. It's not just the awesome landscape, we do have a lot of great weather for being outdoors.

3.) There are a LARGE number of military personnel in the state. While other states may have just as many military installations, they may also be more thickly populated. Here you have a few dense population centers and vast tracts of barely anything...and in the Springs we have 5 active military installations (that I know about officially.) These guys technically have to stay in shape.

4.) There are also lots of folks who are simply part of a "healty living" culture of one form or another. Everything from the rugged outdoors types, to granola folks from California, etc.

I'm so glad to hear that you are zooming in on your dream, so to speak, and getting a better idea of what you're after here. I don't know much about Pueblo, but I've heard at least one resident who posts here talk about how great it is, and I've been meaning to check out the arts scene that is supposedly pretty great down there.

Keep us posted!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM

276 posts, read 606,825 times
I was aware that Colorado is the thinnest state in the country, and I think Sonic_Spork did a great job of explaining some of the reasons. Since moving to Colorado, I've lost about 40 lbs myself. Being the only primary parent for my 5 year old boy, I wanted to make sure I was healthy for him. It isn't so hard to do in Colorado since there is plenty of sun and activities to choose from that just want to make you go outside and live life. The other day I went to a local candy store in Pueblo after we went to the YMCA and bought him an ice cream cone. We walked around the local area, and after he was finished we walked the roughly 1 1/2 miles to the Riverwalk, walked around the entire Riverwalk and then stopped for lunch an Angelo's (an amazing Italian restaurant right on the Riverwalk). Of course we also had to walk by to the car, so we probably covered a good 5 or 6 miles (much of it with my son of my shoulders after complaining his legs were tired). You can get a workout because so much of life around Colorado is based in living out of doors.

You aren't going to find a large Indian population in Pueblo or Pueblo West, just to be warned. Although they do have an amazing Indian restaurant which I find addictive. I don't understand why Americans can't cook that well WHILE using so many vegetables! Besides the restaurant, the only other Indian person I've seen is my son's pediatrician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or