U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM

11,666 posts, read 7,221,845 times

Advertisements

(I'm posting this here, instead of in the Denver forum--hope that is OK?--because it's the sort of thing a person might consider driving from another city for. Because I live in the Springs I rarely check the Denver forums for instance, but I do read the Colorado ones.)

There's a Steampunk ball at The Church on Lincoln in Denver happening Sunday (3/31) night starting at 8pm.

They want people to dress up, but victorian/goth/pirate/steampunk/etc...it's all pretty much fine.

There will be a lot of burlesque and belly dancing and aerial performers and a musician, Voltaire, who is headlining. It'll be a good time. So if you're into costuming up and watching burlesque and such, come check it out.

Additionally, there is a group performing at The Fox tomorrow night in Boulder (on 3/28) called March Fourth Marching Band. They are from Portland, OR and they're EXCELLENT. Kind of a jazzy, big-band, high spirited sound. Lots of musicians, stilt walkers, etc. I used to see them all the time when I lived in WA. I regret not catching them this time, but I can't work another event into my schedule and budget now.

And for anyone into metal and really wild and weird concert experiences, GWAR will be at The Gothic in Denver on 4/17 and this show will be broadcast live on AXSTV (a common cable channel) nationwide. I will be there, with a group of crazy people, and we'll be occupying the front of the line pretty much all day.

Maybe if anyone else wants to they can post other Colorado events (of any genre) here? I sure would like to know of interesting things going on. I need to get out more. I like many kinds of music, I'd even appreciate more info on symphonies and art exhibits anyone recommends, anywhere along the Front Range.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,971,833 times
This is a good idea for a thread as we have many people asking what is going on in Colorado.

This weekend I am going to see Spam a lot in Denver at the Buell. Tickets are selling out fast but it is a fantastic musical and I highly recommend it. (yes its not a concert but its a event so I think it counts here)

Old 03-27-2013, 12:14 PM

20,852 posts, read 39,085,412 times
Saw Spam a Lot in DC about six years ago, great stuff for Monty Python fans.

Sonic: Hope you get lots of pix for us, especially the burlesque, which we have locally at StarGazers on Pikes Peak Ave (aka Peaks and Pasties).
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Saw Spam a Lot in DC about six years ago, great stuff for Monty Python fans.

Sonic: Hope you get lots of pix for us, especially the burlesque, which we have locally at StarGazers on Pikes Peak Ave (aka Peaks and Pasties).
Yeah I haven't seen any policy against photographing or even recording video clips with a phone, so I'm hoping they'll let me. I'll definitely share my pics with you guys.

I'll check that out at StarGazers! Thanks!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 AM

103 posts, read 351,271 times
Default Great thread......

Sonic_Spork...great thread that will give us all a chance to see where things are happening.

Couple of Southeastern Colorado "Concerts"....

In La Junta on August 2,3 is Music at the Junction. Headlining this year on Saturday is "The Orchestra" (the former members of E.L.O. & Electric Light Orchestra Part II). The Six Million Dollar Band from Denver will take the stage from 7-9 PM and the Orchestra will follow.

Go to http://www.musicatthejunction.com/home.html for more information.

And....in Holly in the Southeast Corner of the State on June 7,8,9 is the annaul Holly Bluegrass Festival. It is a free festival with a Jam Session on Friday night; then on Saturday they feature the Acoustic Mining Company, The Atomic Fireballs, James Reams & The Barnstormers, Jody Adams & The StringDudes, and the WMD Bluegrass Band.

Go to Holly - Bluegrass Festival for more about this event in a great town that bounced back from a killer tornado in 2007.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 PM

14,500 posts, read 22,361,359 times
Gonna go see Bob Seger and Joe Walsh in Denver next Tuesday. I hear Fleetwood Mac is coming too but few tix left.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,766,906 times
Ft Collins and FREE 15 June 2013
Walker Manufacturing Presents...

2011 Walker Hymn Sing - YouTube

Since I'm PNW based, I fly to CO for this event (anything 'church' is considered contraband in PNW)

Old 04-01-2013, 01:48 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,635,630 times
Hey, Spork, did that crazy british girl promote the Steampunk Ball? I do think so.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Hey, Spork, did that crazy british girl promote the Steampunk Ball? I do think so.
No idea who you're talking about, but it's possible. If not a crazy British girl, then one attempting to fake the accent probably lol...

On FB it was some Isabella or Annabelle or some such name, I can't remember...

I went, and it was interesting. I spent three weeks turning 5 dresses into one skirt for this thing, and creating a decent "Steampunk look." Fact is, it's been many years since I ventured out into the goth scene and I've never done Steampunk before. I've been spending more time in Metal Metal Land with GWAR in recent years. I had honestly forgotten how uncomfortably (to me) pretentious goth folk can be. Not that anything bad happened...it was just a weird vibe.

But I got a lot of people watching in, had a few compliments to my attire, shmoozed with the dancing girls a wee bit, and got smooched by the ever-delightful Voltaire. My friend got his autograph on her chest, and then had it tattooed there. Not a lifestyle choice I would have made, but I have seen worse tattoos...

We had a room at the Warwick, which is all fancy-shmancy with a pool on the roof and such. I loved the balconies each room had--I'm an outdoors-only smoker, hate smoking rooms in hotels, so being allowed to step out on the balcony right there was nice. But I got annoyed with the tendency of pricey hotels to try and nickel-and-dime you to death on top of the fact that you're paying almost 3x the cost of a chain hotel room. I can find a decent Best Western most of the time when I travel, that is clean and perfectly good, and pay less than $100 and get free parking, internet, and breakfast. You never find that in the expensive hotels. And they tried to sell us on valet parking being the most affordable option, when that was a flagrant LIE, there was a lot across the street that was less than half the price. There was a bottle of water in the room that they'd charge you SIX DOLLARS to drink. Really? I picked it mostly for proximity to the venue, but later wished I'd searched farther afield and booked a 2-star chain. I don't mind paying a bit more for luxury, but I also don't like feeling like they're trying to rip me off left and right while I stay. It's irritating.

Hoping my GWAR show on the 17th is better...I'm staying at the La Quinta this time.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,635,630 times
Try airbnb.com. Soon I will post what I'm excited to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or