Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,847 times

Advertisements

We will be flying into Denver Sat. May 18-25 2013 and driving to Aspen for a vacation. We have never been there and are looking for places to stay and things to do and places to eat. We are hoping to visit an expensive place at a cheap time. We are a fifty year old couple and love nature and beautiful scenery. Is this a good time to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,097 times
Aspen isn't Midtown Manhattan, contrary to popular belief. As stay there, especially during mud season, can be affordable.

I recommend eating at Jimmy's, but sit in the bar and eat off the bar menu. They are the same steaks that are cooked in the restaurant, but smaller and less expensive.

Also, Bentley's usually has lunch specials.

For lodging, you can try the usual downtown hotels and see if they have discounted rates, but I also suggest looking into a condo at Aspen Highlands. That place is a ghost town during off season, so owners should be very desperate to get rent for a week.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Bentley's has been closed for a couple years, I can't think of what went in there at the moment, maybe Justice Snow's.

Many restaurants and hotels will be closed for the off season, what isn't closed will be running with less staff so sometimes the service level is not what one would expect. Check Aspen Snowmass Lodging, Vacations & Specials | Stay Aspen Snowmass for lodging deals, Aspen Colorado Breaking News, Opinion, Sports and Entertainment | AspenTimes.com for the e-edition to see what restaurants are running specials. Also take a look at trip advisor's Aspen forum for info on specific hotels, restaurants and thing to do, ahttp://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29141-i591-Aspen_Colorado.html

Weather can still be iffy in May, you can always take a short drive to Glenwood Springs and enjoy a day at the hot springs and a hike up to Hanging Lake. Redstone is a quaint little town to explore, there are hot springs in the river on the way there and Avalanche Ranch has day use ones also. While in Aspen be sure to visit Maroon Bells, not sure how much hiking you'll be able to do, it depends on how fast the snow melts and how much mud there is.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:42 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times
Wink Independence Pass

For nature lovers of all varieties, as well those just liking a scenic drive, Independence Pass (12,096 feet) is always a notable journey.

From Aspen, one is directly at the western approach to this iconic Colorado pass. The far, eastern side, is at the small town of Twin Lakes. Plan on a drive of several hours, there and back. Or longer, if from Twin Lakes deciding to take a much longer loop around back to Aspen.

The only issue this time of year, and your proposed visit of May 18-25, would this pass being customarily closed throughout winter, and not yet perhaps open. But this year, you may be in luck: due a rather dismal winter and general lack of snow, Independence Pass is scheduled to be open two weeks earlier than usual at 9am on May 11, 2013.

If, uhm, it is presently snowing heavily across a good deal of Colorado this May Day. In fact, the best winter this winter has been this spring, with this one of several good snow storms since the official onset of spring. So, no idea on Aspen, but the present weather may somewhat delay the early opening of this pass.

Nevertheless, you'll easily know this once there. Chances all will be beautiful and quite spring-like. And with an ever so scenic journey available at your very doorstep.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
The only issue this time of year, and your proposed visit of May 18-25, would this pass being customarily closed throughout winter, and not yet perhaps open. But this year, you may be in luck: due a rather dismal winter and general lack of snow, Independence Pass is scheduled to be open two weeks earlier than usual at 9am on May 11, 2013.

If, uhm, it is presently snowing heavily across a good deal of Colorado this May Day. In fact, the best winter this winter has been this spring, with this one of several good snow storms since the official onset of spring. So, no idea on Aspen, but the present weather may somewhat delay the early opening of this pass.

The Aspen area has had plenty of snow this year...
Are you sure about that opening date? I think you may have read this article from a year ago (5/3/12): Independence Pass opening two weeks early due to lack of snow in Colorado high country - The Denver Post

According to the Independence Pass Foundation site Independence Pass will reopen on or about May 24, 2013.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,986,183 times
Wink Uh, well, yes

I stand corrected. Should have checked the relevant dates, and, yes, that is from a Denver Post article from one year ago.

With the current snow, who knows? Back in March I could easily have believed in an early opening of this pass. Well, anyway—me being an idiot or not—it will be obvious at the time if Independence Pass is open.

And, I will at least stand by the suggestion to drive across it if the chance.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
May 18-25 is probably a few weeks early as summer season doesn't really kick off till June. It is possible to get some cool weather, so I would check the forecast before going and at least be prepared with a jacket and sweater type deal for the evening.

Town will be quiet and some summer activities might not be available yet.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
I second the earlier post. Jimmy's is probably my favorite restaurant in Aspen. If they are open, also check out Szygy. It's beautiful and the food is incredible. As far as hotels, I'd suggest The Jerome (classic old-school Aspen), The Sky Hotel (hip, boutique style with small rooms but great location), or the Aspen Meadows (park-like setting, usually has good deals in the off season, a few blocks from downtown but they have shuttles).

Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,533 times
You may want to check with B&B's in Aspen. Very likely to be snow still around. Always good to see the Maroon Bells and ********, a "ghost town" with lots of wildlife last time I was there. Glenwood Hot Springs is great any time of year. 689 Restaurant in Carbondale is the best restaurant in Colorado. Its in a vintage house, has excellent food and wine. Redstone is an artists' town and only about a mile from end to end. Always interesting. Independence Pass is amazing but its a little early for it to be open. Its one of those OMG passes and near the top is the ghost town of Independence, probably covered by snow.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboopking View Post
You may want to check with B&B's in Aspen. Very likely to be snow still around. Always good to see the Maroon Bells and ********, a "ghost town" with lots of wildlife last time I was there. Glenwood Hot Springs is great any time of year. 689 Restaurant in Carbondale is the best restaurant in Colorado. Its in a vintage house, has excellent food and wine. Redstone is an artists' town and only about a mile from end to end. Always interesting. Independence Pass is amazing but its a little early for it to be open. Its one of those OMG passes and near the top is the ghost town of Independence, probably covered by snow.
689 closed last year. Recently Town, by the same chef opened down the street, good reviews so far, I'm hoping to make it there soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado