U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 AM

22 posts, read 40,951 times

Advertisements

Would it be a bad idea to move to Switzerland? or would it be better to just move to Colorado? I'm in love with mountains and want to marry them. just kidding. . But seriously, Switzerland or Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,550 posts, read 39,934,465 times
If you can SERIOUSLY immigrate and AFFORD Switzerland... NO CONTEST. Switzerland is GREAT and quality of life is far superior to anything you can find in USA. (It has been 20 yrs since I lived there, but it was Wonderful). That followed 25 yrs living in CO, B4 the current crowding / emissions / water shortage there. i.e. CO was MUCH nicer than it is today. Switzerland has many decades of 'controlled growth', Colorado is many decades AWAY from such wisdom (tho Boulder has feebly TRIED for 40 yrs)

BTW:, there are FAR better Mtn choices than the 2 you mentioned, IF... the WORLD is your option. Both CO and CH (Sui) have LOTS of tourist 'pressure' for locals to overcome to enjoy the Mtns. Many areas in US and WW have Mtns that are REMOTE and VERY majestic. (and enjoyable in peace and quiet)

Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,386,385 times
I've had Colorado friends go on ski trips to Switzerland for decades now and comment that the scenery was fabulous ... but if you wanted to ski, Colorado's skiing was far better.

Similarly, I've met a fair number of affluent european skiiers on the chairlifts in Colorado skiing ... especially in Vail ... who come here to ski each year, some who have very nice houses in Vail and stay here for a couple of months in the winters and return in the summers for a month or so. Many have commented that the skiing here is better, but the "ambiance" is nowhere near what they've got at home. They point out typical places on the ski hill where there would generally be a little chalet with a deck where they could stop ... several times during each ski day at different locations ... for a rest, a drink, a snack, and then continue on with their skiing. Apparently, there's a priority for the social interaction over getting in vertical distance each day, simply enjoying the views and relaxing.

There are, of course, many other factors that come into such a decision to move to either location ... perhaps you should visit both for awhile and see what situations appeals the most to you. Economics, population, citizenship, are but a few of the considerations. There are certainly a lot of opportunities for remote mountain living here in the USA, or for more accessible locations with more amenities ... pays your money and takes your choice ....

Old 03-29-2013, 12:40 AM

4,743 posts, read 4,368,044 times
I'm half Swiss, so for what it's worth...

The Alps are every bit as majestic as the Rockies - maybe even more so. Plus, they get so much more rain that it's really, really green everywhere - no comparison with Colorado. However, the forests are fewer and not as dense given that they've been harvested (now managed) for 100's if not 1,000's more years than ours have. The forest DO regenerate better in Switzerland due to all that rain, though. On the other hand, their alpine air does not have the dry, clear quality of ours. There's more stars in view at night in Colorado than Switzerland.

One of the hardest things for me to get used to about the Alps is that they are so much more settled and more heavily populated than our high mountains. And while cows are allowed to graze in the high mountain meadows in the summers in both Colorado and Switzerland, the Swiss seem to keep far closer tabs on their cows than we do on ours. I can remember being kept awake at night in Switzerland because I was attempting to sleep in a farmer's home that was surrounded on all directions and sides by Swiss cows - each with a fair sized bell around its neck, clunking away. At least in Colorado, the cows are stealthier if maybe harder to round up.

All in all, if you love the mountains; you'll love the Alps as much as the Rockies. In my humble opinion.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:13 AM

22 posts, read 40,951 times
Oh you guys are making me love Switzerland more and more *sigh*. I have been to Germany and Italy (my mom is from Italy) but I'm in love with the Swiss Alps. I have heard that they speak Swiss-German. Different from German. One German told me that he cannot even understand the language and he speaks fluent german. Also the money is different from the euro? Is that true they don't use Euro? I have also read from my research that there is a waitng list to live there. For non Swiss-born or non Swiss-residents. So apperently any foreingners will be on a waiting list? Idk if this is true or rumor? I guess i could also live in German Alps(Munich?). Austria is also so beautiful (Hallstatt). I just love the culture of these parts of Europe. Colorado is probably more realistic because I can drive there, and the mountains are beautiful and good to ski & hike. Thank you all for your amazing feedback. I read it and enjoy all the stories.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM

20,900 posts, read 39,174,026 times
The Swiss also have GREAT TRAINS that are something the USA and COLO sorely need.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,573,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMountainMajesties View Post
Oh you guys are making me love Switzerland more and more *sigh*. I have been to Germany and Italy (my mom is from Italy) but I'm in love with the Swiss Alps. I have heard that they speak Swiss-German. Different from German. One German told me that he cannot even understand the language and he speaks fluent german. Also the money is different from the euro? Is that true they don't use Euro? I have also read from my research that there is a waitng list to live there. For non Swiss-born or non Swiss-residents. So apperently any foreingners will be on a waiting list? Idk if this is true or rumor? I guess i could also live in German Alps(Munich?). Austria is also so beautiful (Hallstatt). I just love the culture of these parts of Europe. Colorado is probably more realistic because I can drive there, and the mountains are beautiful and good to ski & hike. Thank you all for your amazing feedback. I read it and enjoy all the stories.
Yes you can't just up and move there. If you don't have a job offer that will sponsor you, you can probably forget it. Switzerland is a tough country to get into.

For most business, the Swiss use English as their universal business language, followed in importance by German, French, Italian and Romansh. Most Swiss I interacted with in Switzerland could speak English as good as I can.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,133,942 times
Beware of the kirsch schnaps!

Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 AM

11,086 posts, read 12,467,812 times
Or you can move to the "Switzerland of Colorado" - Ouray.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 AM

12,177 posts, read 21,017,823 times
I have skied in Switzerland a few times and love it. I went to a city called Arosa as it is in driving distance of Zurich and its easy to get flights there plus its a nice city to visit. I would highly recommend Arosa as they have good skiing and some great restaurants.

However, in terms of living full time I would pick Colorado as there is much more to do here and overall the skiing is better. In fact when I was there anytime I told people I was from Colorado their first comment was why are you here when you have the best skiing in the world. I just said I like to travel and experience as much as I can but I was proud of the fact everyone knew of my state and more then I thought heard of Pueblo, about 70% had.

One more interesting thing I found out was they don't issues warning or watches for snow. I was there and it was going to snow so I asked if the city was under a watch or warning. They looked at me but I could tell had no clue what I was talking about. So I explained what a watch or warning was in Colorado and they said oh no we don't do that here we just say its going to snow and how much. I would not like that system as its fun hearing about storm coming and the NWS issuing watches and warnings plus it tells me that I better get ready because we will get a major storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or