Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 11:37 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,932,187 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm retired from the Navy, and currently live in San Angelo, Texas (a small city in west Texas). The population is deceiving at 100,000, but that's including a lot of the smaller outlying areas also. The town is fantastic. Summers are hot (real hot), and winters are mild (gets into the 20's sometimes, and maybe snows 1 day a year). The town is accomodating with 2 super Walmarts, a Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc. There's a mall here, but it's very small and one level. Crime is extremely low and normally conducted between people who know each other. Drugs are here of course, but you have to look for them. Even in the less desirable sides of town, you don't just see people selling/doing drugs.

I wouldn't even consider moving if it wasn't for the climate. I really feel pulled to something with seasons. Being retired, a job would be okay, but not required. More for my wife (she's a CNA (certified nursing assistant). If I could root this city and move it I would. So, I'm looking for a city with essentially the same offerings as I've listed above. I don't want flat, but don't want to live on the side off the mountains, either. I would like a climate that is warm in the summer, snows in the winter, and rains in between. I could probably go for about 200k for a house, but would rather have a small place (1500-1800 sqft), and some land. I would like to be close to water (lake or river), but don't want to have to worry every 5 years about flooding. A small town near a larger city (no more than 60 mins drive) would be preferable also.

If any of you reading this can point me towards any towns that I could look into, I would be greatly appreciative! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 05:05 PM

18,645 posts, read 33,208,153 times
No ideas about place for you, but more about method. Could you spend, say, summers somewhere else, and your wife could work as a perdiem CNA wherever you are? Most places have some kind of long-term care or healthcare place within driving distance, and always need perdiem help to cover seasonal vacations.
Funny you love San Angelo. A dear friend of mine grew up there. I guess being a gay boy in 1950s San Angelo is a bit different than current life! He escaped to the big city of Corpus Christi (I think it had 'gasp' a gay bar) then on to Boston, and eventually to Europe. He still has an abiding affection for Texas, especially West Texas.
A lot of Texans seem to spend summers in Colorado mountain country...

Old 10-27-2007, 11:07 PM

423 posts, read 1,954,055 times
Although the Fort Collins area is growing fairly quickly there are still many rural areas near by. The area right along the foothills probably has the best weather. There are over 90 lakes in Larimer County alone. I would suggest the Wellington area or the Horsetooth resevoir area. Either one would be fairly isolated but yet within 20 minutes of Fort Collins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado