U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 PM

33 posts, read 49,231 times

Advertisements

Is it recommendable for CO state laws, to hire a lawyer to represent me, get some deals to lower my offense for a speeding ticket? or just go to court myself? (I am used to just hiring a lawyer to go to court for me back in NY).

Pretty clueless with the law. My only defense would be, it was 5 am and dark, and my first time on this road. I literally did not see any construction signs, there were also no workers, it was just dark... and very cold (in the negatives). To be thorough, I still have a NY state license, and have not gotten any other offenses of any kind since this incident.

(PS: would getting a co state license after my ruling absolve me from any rules? or maybe it'll be a setback? (aka get a license before the court date?))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 PM

10,065 posts, read 13,955,197 times
Was it photo radar or regular cop? When I moved here I got a speeding ticket I went to court thinking it was like CA where you go to traffic school no ts in CO, but the clerk walked out before we were supposed to walk in and said we will give you all faulty tailights it was $70 I think 9 years ago.

If it was photo radar those are a scam and many ignore them and nothing happens, but if it was regular cop don't ignore. Be careful cops in CO are sneakly they drive SUV's with the light bar hidden in the ski rack!

Waste for a lawyer for something so small unless this will put you at risk for your license can't see why though?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 PM

22,125 posts, read 10,281,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX252 View Post

Pretty clueless with the law. My only defense would be, it was 5 am and dark, and my first time on this road. I literally did not see any construction signs, there were also no workers, it was just dark... and very cold (in the negatives). ...
And exactly why is it being cold a defense in a speeding ticket?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 AM

177 posts, read 235,299 times
Usually if you have a clean record the ticket will be reduced to a "defective vehicle"-type ticket w/ less points. Unfortunately you still have to pay court costs etc... so the cost of the ticket is usually a wash. I was an insurance agent and we knew that the "defective vehicle" tickets were usually other tickets that were plea-bargained down but usually one ticket does not affect your insurance anyways.

Watch out when you go thru Castle Rock, lots of state troopers in that area and it is a speed trap!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM

14,498 posts, read 22,347,982 times
It should be a speed trap. If I recall correctly, the speed is 75 north and south of it and 65 through it, which means do 90 up to it and 80 through it.

I do not miss the traffic from Monument Hill to Longmont.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:09 AM

177 posts, read 235,299 times
I grew up in Longmont (class of '79) and the drive from the Springs used to take maybe an hour and a quarter going 65....now on a good day (no major backups anywhere) it takes an average of 2 hours going 75-80.

The highway needs to be 6 lanes from C/S to Castle Rock, not just to Monument.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 PM

33 posts, read 49,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And exactly why is it being cold a defense in a speeding ticket?
Cause in my funny strange mind, I think it would say I was going at that speed accounting for slippery conditions. (aka without knowing the speed limit. I was going at a speed I felt was safe)

The speed limit is 55 through route 85, until you get to the construction zone.. which is 40. dam.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:56 PM

9,158 posts, read 5,456,399 times
Default Get a Colorado license

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX252 View Post
Cause in my funny strange mind, I think it would say I was going at that speed accounting for slippery conditions. (aka without knowing the speed limit. I was going at a speed I felt was safe)

The speed limit is 55 through route 85, until you get to the construction zone.. which is 40. dam.
If you are a resident of Colorado get a CO license. I don't remember the time frame from when we lived there but I think it is only thirty days. Why show up before the judge currently in violation of another law?

You are in a difficult position on the speeding charge. If you represent yourself, you might consider pleading "nolo contendre" with extenuating circumstances which should then allow you to apologetically explain your unfamiliarity with the road, the speed limit (you didn't see a speed limit sign in the dark) your mistaken belief that you really WERE slowing down through that particular area, and your sincere apology to the officer and the court for your error, and that you request as much leniency as the court can provide given your circumstances---and that you will never repeat that error.

May not work because every judge is different---and they have their good days and bad days. But the biggest screw for you will be insurance rates. I spent 30 years as an underwriter/rate maker/compliance officer and can tell you the vast majority of auto insurers will rate you up for speeding when they discover it on an annual MVR. Rate surcharges will frequently depend on a speeding ticket over or under 15 mph, with larger increases for over 15mph in excess. Surcharges will typically be applied for three years.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 PM

22,125 posts, read 10,281,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
It should be a speed trap. If I recall correctly, the speed is 75 north and south of it and 65 through it, which means do 90 up to it and 80 through it.

I do not miss the traffic from Monument Hill to Longmont.
You're right, although I don't consider it a speed trap. You're in a congested area, so it's likely that speeds will be reduced, and it's very clearly posted.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:53 AM

9,158 posts, read 5,456,399 times
Default The effect of a speeding ticket

Got this off the internet today, so it is certainly pertinent:

Quote:
A speeding ticket that qualifies as reckless driving in your state is the single worst traffic violation you can inflict on your insurance bill, according to data gathered by Insurance.com, with premiums rising an average of 22%. But knocked down to 14 mph or less over the limit, that hit falls to 11%.
How to get a warning, not a ticket - - MSN Money

OP, you're already past your best chance not to get a ticket. Now you are just rying to minimize the impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or