U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,818,232 times

Advertisements

Looking at first new car purchase since moving to CO and have a few questions:

1. Are the plates from my old car (private sale, not through dealer) used for the new car?
2. Does the dealer take care of all the registration/title paperwork, even if they are in a different county from where I reside? Do I have visit or file any paperwork with my county DMV office?
3. Do they collect the full sales tax based on county where I reside?
4. Are there any additional fees (besides price, dealer handling, and sales tax) for this paperwork which weren't disclosed in the negotiation?
4. Anything else I should know?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,783,192 times
1. Yes, unless the registration is expired. You will have to have the plates physically with you when you register the new vehicle with the County Clerk.
2. Usually you will have to file the paperwork with the County Clerk's office when you register the vehicle.
3. That depends. If the dealer is not in the county where you reside, they will likely collect the state sales tax. If the county (and city, if applicable) has a use tax on vehicles (some do, some don't), the County Clerk will collect that at the time of registration. Because you private sold your prior vehicle, you can not credit the sale price of your old vehicle against the sale price of the new vehicle as you can on a trade-in to the dealer. You will have to pay sales tax on the full sale price amount.
4. Don't know what, if any, other dealer fees there might be, but the County Clerk will collect a title fee at time of registration--under $10, I think.
5. Colorado motor vehicle license fees are based on the value, age, and weight of the vehicle. If you have never registered a newer vehicle in Colorado, get ready for some "sticker shock" at the registration and ownership tax that you will be charged--typically several hundred dollars for most new vehicles.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
For my new RAV4, I paid just over $500 last week in ownership tax and related fees.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 PM

Thanks guys.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 AM

Here's one more question:
We sold our old car to a private party. We took off our plates and they drove away without plates on the car. Is that legal? Is there some kind of temporary permit they should have gotten?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or