U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM

404 posts, read 735,266 times

Advertisements

Hey, I was hoping someone on here had some experience living in the highest incorporated town in the country. My roommates and I found a really good deal on housing there, so we are thinking of moving there just for the summer. We have lived in summit county for two years now and we are looking at alma because it is significantly cheaper than Breckenridge, Frisco, and even Dillon or Silverthorne. It looks like there are tons of trails and mountains to hike. Fairplay next door has been called the trout capital of Colorado, so I'm guessing the fishing must be great up the river in Alma. Anyone have any experience with this little town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM

13,947 posts, read 20,190,335 times
How to help Colorado’s highest town | Colorado Central Magazine | Colorado news, stories, essays, history and more!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Been through it plenty of times, not a whole lot going on there.

Summer weather there, most people down south would consider as being winter.

Could be an interesting experience for the summer, especially if you like the outdoors but probably not as fun in the winter.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,421,317 times
I lived in Fairplay for almost 4 years when I was in my mid-20s while working for the Forest Service. Several of my friend's and coworkers lived in Alma. It's absolutely beautiful there and the access to trails and the outdoors is literally right out your doorstep. It's a different world than Breck or Summit Co. though. There isn't much going on, ever, unless you count Burro Days (which are fun)! Fairplay has grown quite a bit since I've lived there, but that's really not saying much.

I disagree with Wanneroo about the summer weather. It's pleasant most of the time. Usually summer days are in the 60s, but with the sun, it feels a lot warmer. Summer is short though and usually lasts from about July-early August.

You'll still have to travel over Hoosier Pass to get all your supplies, groceries and if you want any nightlife (but, you'll want one designated driver to get you back home because that pass is no joke). There used to be a very small health food store and coffee shop in Alma, although I'm not sure if it's still there. South Park Saloon is the only bar in town, as far as I know. We used to go there a lot.

I'm assuming you will still be working in Summit Co and driving the pass daily. It's an easy drive in the summer, but can be slow going with travel trailers and tourists driving the road, so you'll want to factor that in. In the winter, the pass always remains open because it's the most direct route for military from Co. Springs to get to I-70 (at least that is what I was told). However, that easy drive in the summer can become pretty treacherous in the winter. For the summer though, I think it's an experience that will be worth it. As long as you love the outdoors, you'll be happy there!

Last edited by delta07; 04-02-2013 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: added something.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 AM

404 posts, read 735,266 times
Been here a couple days now and I'm really happy with how friendly everyone is here

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado