U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,601 times

Advertisements

I may have found employment in Pueblo and am seeking resident opinions' of the city.

I'm in my early twenties and am extremely active. How are the parks? And what other types of outdoor activities does the area provide?

I've passed through Pueblo once to eat at a Hamburger Joint (that was definitely worth the stop!) and got a very small-town feel from the city. I wouldn't mind a small-town feel after living in a large, generic, "suburbia" city, without much character (unless you are in the upper-class), but I do have some worries. I didn't get to explore much, but I am concerned that there may not be much to do. Is this feeling valid or is my judgement premature?
How is the nightlife?-From live music to dive bars
How is the restaurant scene? Is it a bunch of mom-and-pop joints? Does the city have different cuisines?
Does the city have any local coffee shops?

I've read that it's fairly inexpensive to live in Pueblo. I fear that may be a result of bad neighborhoods, abandoned buildings, or a large lower-class. I may be mistaken, and if so, please educate me.

If you cold inform me of what living in Pueblo is like, it would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:53 PM

10,626 posts, read 11,021,451 times
How is your mobility? For stuff to do, the mountains are not far, nor are cities like Denver or Colorado Springs. Between the mountains and nearby cities, there is never any shortage of activities. As a whole, the area has a lot to offer, and depending on your interests, Pueblo may be able to keep you busy too.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,957,421 times
It all depends on your perspective. For a city of its size, the MSA is about 160,000 people, it has a lot to do. There are chain restaurants and a lot of mom and pop restaurants. Pueblo has a lot of fairs and festivals including the Colorado State Fair and is home to Colorado State University - Pueblo which gives Pueblo a lot of sports to watch including football as they are one of the best teams in division 2. If you like to hike in just a short drive to Beulah to Pueblo Mountain Park and free hiking trails and Pueblo is close to world class skiing. Pueblo has good and bad areas to live just keep in mind I would not live on the east side or Bessemer, but they are not that bad as I go there every day to shop and visit friends. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,932,778 times
It seems to have a small town feel, and the COL is certainly low. There are several reasons for that. If you like small city / large town living you will like the area. Weather is pretty nice year round, though a little hot for me in the summer. It was a manufacturing city, and it seems to still have that working class vibe. Josseppie really knows the city inside and out. I can't speak to some of your questions because they are things that didn't matter to me when my wife and I were considering a move there. (I don't go out to bars, I don't go to coffee shops, I just keep paying off student debt month after month...)

Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 AM

55 posts, read 71,744 times
Wife and I moved down about 7 years ago, originally from CS. We love it but my 2 tweeners, not so much - not enough to do. We’re in a pretty mixed neighborhood; business owners, illegal immigrants, businessmen, multi-generational welfare families, truck drivers, retirees, high end city administrators, drug dealers, professionals, etc… you get the picture. Houses around us range from 40K to 400K. Never had much of a problem here, except my trash can was stolen last summer
Yep, Pblo has issues but no worse than anywhere else I’ve lived on the Front Range. As far as I’m concerned, Josseppie is pretty spot on with most of his views of the town (see previous posts regarding Pueblo). Lots of little festivals and music, (b-street bash for example) in the summer months to keep you occupied. Winter time, it slows down to a dead stop. Some bars downtown have live music but it is quite sporadic in quality and scheduling. I’m a couple of beers in the afternoon kind of guy, don’t get out much at night so couldn’t tell you much about the nightlife. The one experience I did have was at Smitty’s on Santa Fe Ave during some kind of happy hour. The place was packed with binge drinking college kids swilling something they were calling Tuaca Bombs. Nice friendly crowd (nothing like Smitty’s in the 80’s, pretty rough joint). They seemed to be having a good time. Also agree, East side, Bessemer and lower West side not good for a newcomer. Couple of good coffee shops, one on Union and another on Broadway up by the library in Mesa Junction. Good Mexican restaurants galore (Northern NM, Southern CO, Mexican cuisine). RESPECT the Chile! Also plenty of other options including Indian, one really good BBQ joint and decent Sushi for a town this size. Highway 50 is also a great gateway to the southern Rockies. We also have a drive-in movie, sweet!
One outside observation; people here tend to keep to themselves and mind their own business. They are friendly, for the most part, but it takes a while to click. I would suggest taking a weekend and come down before you commit. There are plenty of people who down-right hate it here, you might be one of them. Stay and mill around a bit, see if this is what you are looking for.

Last edited by ArthurManby; 04-03-2013 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM

276 posts, read 606,789 times
It won't be hard to find an area of Pueblo or Pueblo West that has low crime. The crime in Pueblo is really concentrated to the East size of Pueblo which is separated by the Arkansas River, essentially making it like the Bronx is to New York City (a place you simply have to avoid until you have to go to a Yankees game or the Bronx Zoo). In other words, unless you choose the wrong area, crime shouldn't be something you encounter. Just like people wouldn't rule out moving to Manhattan because of the Bronx, you shouldn't rule out Pueblo.

With that said, while Pueblo does have a university and a community college, I don't consider it to have a strong night life. If it does have one, I sure don't know about it. A lot of the folks in Pueblo complain about it, but instead go to Denver for their night life since Colorado Springs probably has a weaker night life then Pueblo (what to you expect from the city known as the heart of the Bible Belt?).

Pueblo is affordable for two main reasons. During the 80s Pueblo lost two major employers who literally were responsible for over 20% of Pueblo's employment. Like other manufacturing cities, Pueblo is reinventing itself and recovering economically (although Pueblo is doing a better job then probably any other manufacturing city in the entire nation).

Secondly, Pueblo currently has limited job opportunities unless you have very specific skills i.e. medical qualifications, call center experience, manufacturing experience, etc. If you feel you are qualified as a professor of history, for instance, by all means apply at CSU Pueblo. I have refrained from doing so because I do not want to become a Monty Python episode.

I suppose I'd also have to add that Pueblo is a very underrated city, but I think the secret is going to quickly dissipate as more people realize Pueblo isn't the same place it was even 4 years ago. This city has a tiger by the tail, and it isn't going to let it go, it seems. Heck, if Colorado Springs keeps letting their tigers go, maybe we can catch some of theirs, hahahaha!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by businezguy View Post
It won't be hard to find an area of Pueblo or Pueblo West that has low crime. The crime in Pueblo is really concentrated to the East size of Pueblo which is separated by the Arkansas River, essentially making it like the Bronx is to New York City (a place you simply have to avoid until you have to go to a Yankees game or the Bronx Zoo). In other words, unless you choose the wrong area, crime shouldn't be something you encounter. Just like people wouldn't rule out moving to Manhattan because of the Bronx, you shouldn't rule out Pueblo.

With that said, while Pueblo does have a university and a community college, I don't consider it to have a strong night life. If it does have one, I sure don't know about it. A lot of the folks in Pueblo complain about it, but instead go to Denver for their night life since Colorado Springs probably has a weaker night life then Pueblo (what to you expect from the city known as the heart of the Bible Belt?).

Pueblo is affordable for two main reasons. During the 80s Pueblo lost two major employers who literally were responsible for over 20% of Pueblo's employment. Like other manufacturing cities, Pueblo is reinventing itself and recovering economically (although Pueblo is doing a better job then probably any other manufacturing city in the entire nation).

Secondly, Pueblo currently has limited job opportunities unless you have very specific skills i.e. medical qualifications, call center experience, manufacturing experience, etc. If you feel you are qualified as a professor of history, for instance, by all means apply at CSU Pueblo. I have refrained from doing so because I do not want to become a Monty Python episode.

I suppose I'd also have to add that Pueblo is a very underrated city, but I think the secret is going to quickly dissipate as more people realize Pueblo isn't the same place it was even 4 years ago. This city has a tiger by the tail, and it isn't going to let it go, it seems. Heck, if Colorado Springs keeps letting their tigers go, maybe we can catch some of theirs, hahahaha!
Spot on! I really liked the comparison to the Bronx and if you don't mind am going to "borrow" that when I talk about Pueblo, the crime rate and the lower east side in the future.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 PM

276 posts, read 606,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Spot on! I really liked the comparison to the Bronx and if you don't mind am going to "borrow" that when I talk about Pueblo, the crime rate and the lower east side in the future.
I don't mind at all. It's a really good comparison.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:47 AM

352 posts, read 288,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businezguy View Post
I don't mind at all. It's a really good comparison.
No, it really isn't, at least not these days. First, there have always been beautiful parts of the Bronx, like Riverdale. Second, it sounds like you left NY a long time ago. You might want to go back and see the place, check out where people live these days. As far as Pueblo goes, I've only been there once, to the Children's Museum, but that area was pretty grim. There was a bar around the corner, a coffee shop, blocks and blocks of real estate for sale/lease, and the usual Colorado street people. Why are children's museums always in run down neighborhoods? Check out Richmond VA sometime, or better, don't.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
No, it really isn't, at least not these days. First, there have always been beautiful parts of the Bronx, like Riverdale. Second, it sounds like you left NY a long time ago. You might want to go back and see the place, check out where people live these days.
That sounds like the lower east side as well. Its not a place I would recommend people to move to who do not know Pueblo but I am always there, the guy I am dating lives there, and they have good restaurants and stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
As far as Pueblo goes, I've only been there once, to the Children's Museum, but that area was pretty grim. There was a bar around the corner, a coffee shop, blocks and blocks of real estate for sale/lease, and the usual Colorado street people. Why are children's museums always in run down neighborhoods? Check out Richmond VA sometime, or better, don't.
The Children's museum is in downtown in the theater district so yes there are bars and restaurants. Not sure when you were in Pueblo last but the city has spent millions of dollars renovating that area including a state grant to expand the convention center, build a arena and expand the Riverwalk.

Here are some pictures to show you.

These are the historic buildings right across the street from the Children's Museum that have been renovated.

The Riverwalk at night.

On Union Avenue in downtown.

This is a picture of the convention center expansion, hotel, and new parking garage courtesy of the Pueblo Urban Renewal Authority. They should break ground in 2014.

So as you can see Pueblo is investing a lot of money to enhance our city and make it better. Something that I have always been proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or