U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM

104 posts, read 68,211 times

Advertisements

Me and a group of friends are going on a road trip to Colorado in June to visit various parks, and a couple breweries.

First we were going to visit Breckenridge, do some hiking, visit the Breckenridge Brewery, etc. Then we were going to drive to Leadville, Twin Lakes, Independence Pass, eventually to Aspen, where we would spend the first night at a hotel.

On the second day, we would drive back through the mountains to Boulder, maybe do some hiking and see some cool stuff there, but with the ultimate goal of spending most of the afternoon and evening in Estes Park.

On the third day, we would also spend most of the day in Estes Park.

So my question for you guys, is there any MUST SEE trails, hiking, hidden gems, things to do, etc that you could recommend to someone who has little knowledge about all the great things Colorado has to offer? I want to make this trip as exciting as possible, I've only been to Colorado once before and I loved it, but felt like I missed out on seeing a lot of things. It was for work, not pleasure, so I only got a short 2 hours to spend in Boulder doing a small hike before I had to make my way back to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 AM

2,019 posts, read 4,323,534 times
A great site for hiking info: ProTrails | State - Colorado
Have you looked at the CO tourism website? Lots of info there: Colorado Things to Do, Attractions & Official Colorado Travel Guide | Colorado.com
Colorado State Parks

Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,446,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrunner88 View Post
Me and a group of friends are going on a road trip to Colorado in June to visit various parks, and a couple breweries.

First we were going to visit Breckenridge, do some hiking, visit the Breckenridge Brewery, etc. Then we were going to drive to Leadville, Twin Lakes, Independence Pass, eventually to Aspen, where we would spend the first night at a hotel.

On the second day, we would drive back through the mountains to Boulder, maybe do some hiking and see some cool stuff there, but with the ultimate goal of spending most of the afternoon and evening in Estes Park.

On the third day, we would also spend most of the day in Estes Park.

So my question for you guys, is there any MUST SEE trails, hiking, hidden gems, things to do, etc that you could recommend to someone who has little knowledge about all the great things Colorado has to offer? I want to make this trip as exciting as possible, I've only been to Colorado once before and I loved it, but felt like I missed out on seeing a lot of things. It was for work, not pleasure, so I only got a short 2 hours to spend in Boulder doing a small hike before I had to make my way back to the airport.
With only a three-day schedule I'm afraid you can only reasonably do Aspen OR Boulder/Estes park, not both. Breckenridge to Aspen takes almost 3 hours, so you'll be getting into Aspen late at night. Then in order to get back to Boulder (4-5 hours), you'd have to leave Aspen first thing in the morning. With this schedule you're doing more driving than hiking.

I suggest extending your stay in Aspen. The Maroon Bells alone are a must-see and just as good (if not better) than anything you will see in RMNP.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM

634 posts, read 891,215 times
Quote:
Too much driving to do all of that in a few days.
As much as I love Aspen, you said breweries and "various parks". I'd suggest Boulder and then RMNP.
It's the home of Colorado's first microbrewery, Boulder Beer. Boulder Beer There are many other microbreweries: Avery, Twisted Pine, Mountain Sun, Southern Sun, Asher, Upslope, New Planet... shall I go on?
…yahoo.com/microbrewery-taprooms-around-boul…
There are great hikes in Boulder, more within a half hour to 45 minutes away and RMNP is approx. an hour away.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM

Well we will be doing a lot of driving for sure, but I've been told by friends that driving the pass to get to Aspen is just as exciting as anything. I want to possibly extend our trip an extra day just to be able to see more in Aspen, that way we have a chance to relax. I've heard about the Maroon Bells and definitely want to check that out.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,048,995 times
A native is someone who was born in CO.

or can residents or past residents chime in too?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM

129 posts, read 216,454 times
Starting from where? You said Breck, but you must be getting to Breck from somewhere else ... Denver?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethehighcountry View Post
Starting from where? You said Breck, but you must be getting to Breck from somewhere else ... Denver?

To the post above this one, yes you can chime in. I'd love to hear personal stories from anyone willing to share them. I want to make this trip a memorable one, I'm very into the outdoors and seeing nature. Unfortunately I live in Illinois, and there isn't much to do out here as far as the great outdoors.

And to this post, yes we are starting from Denver and taking the highway that leads to Independence Pass. Breckenridge is a detour along the way but Breckenridge Brewery is a pretty popular craft beer here in Illinois that me and my friends drink, and I heard it was a very pretty town, so we wanted to make the detour there. We would probably be arriving there early morning after an all night drive from Illinois.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:43 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,446,133 times
Quote:
To the post above this one, yes you can chime in. I'd love to hear personal stories from anyone willing to share them. I want to make this trip a memorable one, I'm very into the outdoors and seeing nature. Unfortunately I live in Illinois, and there isn't much to do out here as far as the great outdoors.

And to this post, yes we are starting from Denver and taking the highway that leads to Independence Pass. Breckenridge is a detour along the way but Breckenridge Brewery is a pretty popular craft beer here in Illinois that me and my friends drink, and I heard it was a very pretty town, so we wanted to make the detour there. We would probably be arriving there early morning after an all night drive from Illinois.
FYI, there is a Breckenridge Brewery in Denver.

Also, the more efficient way to get to Aspen from Breckenridge is not to go over Hoosier pass to the south, but to reroute back to I-70 west for a few miles, then get off at Copper Mountain and go through Leadville.

The drive over Independence Pass is totally worth it, and is equal to the drive over Trail Ridge road in RMNP, but far less crowded.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM

I heard there are many places to stop along the way on I70 to do hiking, any in particular that come to mind as a must see? I know it is probably hard to name the numerous hikes, but just curious.

And I've also heard this about the drive over Independence Pass, which is why I am making sure we make that drive. I also heard Twin Lakes was worth a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or