U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 AM

31 posts, read 80,919 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My sister and I live in South Florida full-time but hate the very hot summer months here.
Any suggestions on what town or city to live for summer in Colorado?

Iam very athletic and she is more of the laid-back bohemian type. We have never been to
your beautiful state but love the mountains and forests. We also love to go antiquing and
eating out at cute bistros.

We both have children in their 20's so someplace fun for them to visit would be great also.

Thank you all in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 AM

11,051 posts, read 12,400,665 times
You've never been here, but want to move here? Um ok. Might want to visit first. Let's see, employment? What's your price range? If you want to live here you may want to visit in winter too. Anyway, good luck to you.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,445,612 times
Every town in Colorado is great in summer. This is an old saying "People move to Colorado for the winter (skiing, etc.), but STAY here for the summer."

It all depends on what size of community you want to live in. Denver's summer scene rivals any big city such as Chicago, with neighborhood festivals every weekend, baseball games, restaurant patios and rooftop bars. All the smaller towns have festivals each weekend, art shows, etc. Just take your pick, you can't really lose.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 AM

10,058 posts, read 13,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmiss05 View Post
Hi,
My sister and I live in South Florida full-time but hate the very hot summer months here.

Iam very athletic and she is more of the laid-back bohemian type. We have never been to
your beautiful state but love the mountains and forests. We also love to go antiquing and
eating out at cute bistros.

We both have children in their 20's so someplace fun for them to visit would be great also.

Thank you all in advance for any advice.
Pagosa Springs is incredibly beautiful in the summer. My Mom owned a house there for 15 years. Try and rent a home around Lake Pagosa or Hatcher Lake.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,422,340 times
What else do you need in a place to live? Are you retired or will you need to find work? If you've never been to Colorado before, and you don't need work, I would suggest spending the summer checking out the state. Look at vacation rental homes and spend a week or so if various locations to see if Colorado (or where in Colorado) suits your fancy.

I would definitely suggest spending a week or so in Denver, since you like cute shops. It will also give you a baseline for the economy and city life in CO. I would be sure to take some time exploring mountain towns as well. You can pick from a variety of resort towns, if you like that kind of vibe, or get off the beaten path and check out some smaller communities in Colorado. It will help to know what other things you are looking for (population, do you like the outdoors, amenities, budget, etc).

Old 04-09-2013, 10:07 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,020,003 times
Wink No humidity for one

Per weather, you'll want to be in the high mountains.

Anywhere else—eastern plains up to Front Range; lower Western Slope (i.e. Grand Junction and vicinity)—and it will be hot. Not humid, so some difference in that, but expect on average daytime temperatures in the 80's, 90's, and at times even 100's. Whereas in, say, Breckenridge the highs more like 70's, rarely above, and at times with thunderstorms below. Evenings there will be cool as soon as the sun declines, even perhaps cold by Florida standards.

Breckenridge lies at 9,600 feet. There are mountain communities, for instance Glenwood Springs, which reside at lower elevations, so somewhat splitting the difference and more moderate (or, read warmer). So you might give some consideration to no more than elevation, as one of the defining factors. Although, generally, many consider the Colorado mountains to have a quite salubrious summer climate.

Consider as well what your purse will bear. Some ski areas go nearly dormant in summer, although the larger resort areas see a healthy summer business second only to winter. For other areas, such as Estes Park, summer is their primary tourism season. Rates in lodging and availability will reflect this. If intending to visit for the entire summer or the better part of it, a longer term rental would be advisable. But even here, most of them in more popular areas will probably be priced on a weekly basis, and towards those willing to pay a handsome price for a week or two of vacation. If wishing to move around, as in seeing more of the state, you'll likely end up paying more. The least expensive option could be in locating a somewhat remote cabin well on the outskirts of some town, renting it for the season; then, with that as a base camp, traveling elsewhere in the state. However an option such as this best suited to those happy to spend much of their time hiking, or sitting on the porch looking at the mountains and watching the hummingbirds.

If you wish to be in town a lot, or near it, then plan on paying what that will cost. Even the larger resort areas do not have sizable permanent populations; most mountain towns are fairly small, none really large. Chances are your best options in antiquing will be along the Front Range (as in Denver metro). If a priority, or just wishing to visit these larger venues somewhat regularly, then consider mountain communities within the Front Range that allow such relatively easy access. Central City would be one such place. Perhaps consider Manitou Springs, even if about the same elevation as Colorado Springs.

Do look at Ouray, for something picturesque, remote, and higher. Silverton, if you want to accentuate that. South Fork, on the Rio Grande River, could be pleasant. There are indeed many different mountain communities. With different elevations and weather, so some variance on what one might choose there. And some, like Lake City, being well out in the middle of nowhere (or, ground zero—among others—for lovely mountain scenery). Whereas in Summit County, outdoor sports and activities are a given; and Denver via I-70 roughly (minus heavy traffic at times) but an hour distant.

What was the question? Oh, yes. What exactly did you want other than less humidity?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:08 AM

11,051 posts, read 12,400,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Every town in Colorado is great in summer.
You've never been to Delta or Grand Junction in summer then. 100 degrees every single day, hot howling winds, dust storms.

Now if the OP, really wants a cool summer and a neat town I would suggest Ouray.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 AM

2,019 posts, read 4,323,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmiss05 View Post
Hi,
The OP wrote "Any suggestions on what town or city to live for summer in Colorado?"
I took that as meaning they want a summer escape, not necessarily to move here permanently.

Swissmiss there are many places from which to choose. Do you have a budget in mind?

Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,445,612 times
For mid-sized towns with plenty of activity, mild weather, and a good art/restaurant/retail scene, it is hard to beat Steamboat Springs in the summertime.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 PM

825 posts, read 1,604,632 times
We chose Woodland Park (ok, so actually we are well out in the county) because we loved the summers. Any small town you can name will run out of a supply of different "cute bistros" in a hurry, but Denver is really not that great in the summer. Woodland Park is at least near enough to run into Colorado Springs from time to time.

For smaller communities, the choices above have much to recommend them. There are lots more. Leadville, Durango, Idaho Springs, Buena Vista, Estes Park if you can stand the crowds. Or you might like some place like Evergreen, which is not much itself, but is a reasonable distance to Denver if you don't have to go every day.

Of course, nothing says you have to stay in the same place all summer. You might try several different locations a week or two at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or