U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:02 AM

10 posts, read 17,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
L0ftyKeith wrote: Do you think having a college degree and work experience from a big city like New York would have any advantage towards competing for jobs in CO?

I don't think it matters much one way or the other. What matters most, is being in the right place at the right time. If you are able to land an interview for an opening, and you make a really good impression you stand a better chance of getting hired than someone who makes a lesser impression regardless of experience, regardless of their current location. For better or worse, most companies hiring are more apt to grant interviews to someone already living in the local area. Some, but not all Colorado companies will see NYC as your current address and immediately file your resume in the closest trashcan, because they probably have several hundred resumes from equally qualified candidates who live right in town. In this tight economy, an out-of-towner is at a great disadvantage. BUT...your resume just might catch the eye of the person who reads them, at a time when that person is in a really good mood, and something on your resume could influence that person to give you a call and set up a phone interview. Anything is possible. Good sh*t happens all the time. Where there is a will....there is a way.
You are right in most aspects, and I was definitely concerned about my resume being tossed in the trash because I am an out-of-towner. However, simply sending in my job application online won't cut it for me. I know it's a long shot, but I was aiming towards contacting a potential employer and speaking with a person with hiring power. Simply asking him/her for a few minutes of their time and briefly describing my situation and my eagerness to work there leaves a greater impact and definitely shows determination. On the other hand, it may also end up with the hiring manager immediately hanging up on me thinking I'm a nutjob, or giving me the turn-around to apply online and THEN toss out my resume You are certainly right about catching the person in the right mood. But that's the chance I'm willing to take. Employment opportunities despite of location and whether you're a local or not really depends on luck most of the time. By reaching out to them and taking the extra step to inquire about employment opportunities can go either way. Needless to say, much research and knowledge about a potential employer is absolutely critical. If I spend a great deal of time planning on how to approach a prospective employer, I should be ok. Once I am able to land an interview, whether I have to fly to CO for one or phone/Skype interview, the rest is history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:15 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,449,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ftyKeith View Post
work experience from a big city like New York would have any advantage towards competing for jobs in CO?
It worked for Jason Giambi

Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM

117 posts, read 111,470 times
L0ftyKeith,

Just wanted to let you know that I received your message but apparently City-Data has a 1 direct message every 24 hour limit for new members so I'll reply with a DM tomorrow.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 PM

22 posts, read 46,163 times
Throwing in my 2 cents...

I grew up in Washington, DC. Life-long dream to move to Colorado for pretty similar reason as you and have found it to be the only place I've ever been that exceeded all of my expectations. I live just outside of Boulder, CO. I work for the Univ. of Colorado at Boulder and love it. I like being away from downtown Denver but having its accessibility. Having the mountains available for hiking after work rather than happy hours makes like a lot more enjoyable. Weekends are superb; a lot more variety for outdoor fun. Its a beautiful place to live...you'll be stunned.

Boulder carries a lot of variety in its people well beyond race or ethnicity. You want a Tibetan herbalist who can do flips on a pogo? Chances are Boulder has one. My point is, I would be surprised if anyone would feel like an outsider in Boulder if they kept an open mind.

I would recommend flying out for a few days in May/June. Rent a car, take 3-4 days to drive around along the front range. Drive around Colorado Springs, Denver, Boulder and go upto Breckenridge and walk around the town. It won't give you the complete picture but it will help you get a better sense of the place. If you've got the time, swing up to Rocky Mountain National Park. All that driving will you get an idea of the different environments and everything in between.

Don't be disappointed by lack of progress. It took me 5 years and over 400 Resumes to get a job out here (I work in a competitive IT field) Its tough but well worth it.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 PM

254 posts, read 428,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I am going to re-order your list with some numbers:

1. Denver/Golden: 85,000+ students
  • CU-Denver/Anschutz Medical Center - 27,000 students
  • Metropolitan State University - 24,000 students
  • Regis University - 14,000 students
  • University of Denver - 11,000 students
  • Colorado School of Mines - 5,000
  • Colorado Christian University - 4,000 students
  • Johnson and Wales University - 1,000 students (est.)
  • Also: Arapahoe CC, Aurora CC, Denver CC, Red Rocks CC, Front Range CC

2. Fort Collins/Greeley/Loveland: 40,000+ (I added Greeley to Ft. Collins because many people work at UNC and live in Ft. Collins and Loveland)
  • Colorado State University - 27,000 students
  • University of Northern Colorado - 12,000 students
  • Also: Aims CC (2 campuses)

3. Boulder: 34,000 students
  • CU-Boulder - 33,000 students
  • Naropa University - 1,000 students

4. Colorado Springs: 12,000+ students
  • CU-Colorado Springs - 10,000 students
  • Colorado College - 2,000 students
  • Also: Pike's Peak CC
  • I did not include the Air Force Academy because those students do not need financial aid.

5. Pueblo: 5,000 students
  • CSU-Pueblo - 5,000 students

DavidV - very helpful post; thank you for sharing such useful information.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,941,008 times
Of all the states I have been to, racism is least prevalent in CO. Even though I'm a white male, I'm grateful for that. I don't want to be around a bunch of bigots.

In other states I witnessed people choosing to hang around people that were the same race. I don't see that here. I'm living in CS, and I'd suggest checking out CS and Denver when you visit. CS does NOT have many Asian people, but I don't think you'll encounter hostility related to your race. I have an Asian friend here, and she doesn't have any problems. For the most part people will just treat you like people. I think that's the ideal system. Maybe it is the enormous number of transplants here, but stereotypes seem far less common.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:44 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,941,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeItToColorado View Post
Throwing in my 2 cents...

I grew up in Washington, DC. Life-long dream to move to Colorado

Congratulations!

It was a dream for my wife and I as well, though we hadn't discovered Colorado as children. We made it out here in summer of 2012. Glad you made it to paradise as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado