Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 AM

11 posts, read 24,849 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and I just wanted some advice/suggestions.

I am a New Yorker (born and raised) and currently living in Brooklyn. I am 25 years old and my gf is 24. We are looking to move out of NY because of similar reasons why many chose to leave NY. We're tired of the fast paced life, the rush-hours, stressful commuting, superficial people, overpopulation, and the list goes on. We are looking for something more laid-back, slower pace of life, with great nature and weather, and friendlier people. I love snowboarding and have been sponsored in the past. So snowboarding in Colorado would be a dream come true for me. Although we've never been to Colorado before, I have a really good feeling that this would be a great place for us. I also do not want to raise children in NY.

To give a brief overview about myself, I work in Higher Education, and have been for the past 6-7 years. I am a Financial Aid Adviser. I work with students in colleges/universities with their financial aid, loans, grants, etc. My gf is an RN with over one year of experience at New York's well-known hospital, NYU Medical Center (rated #2 in the state).

I have the same concerns as many would, moving across the country with no relatives of friends.Would you think it would be a problem for both of us to look for work? We both have our Bachelor's, and have pretty solid work experience.

Another thing that I am concerned about is the cultural shock. My gf and I are both Asian-American. Our parents were immigrants from China. However, we were born and raised in NY. I can be comfortable to say that we are pretty Americanized. We have a really diverse group of friends, and my gf grew up in a predominantly white part of town (Westchester), so she is used to being the only Asian within her group of friends.

Do you think we will encounter racism, within society and employment? Also, which part of Colorado would you suggest? We are thinking about making a trip there for a few days, just to check it out. But I have a really good gut feeling that CO would be perfect for us.

Please note that I am not running away from NYC because I think the grass is greener in CO. I can stay in NYC, but I choose to have a better quality of life for me and my children in the future. Also, we do not mind sacrificing some of the things we're accustomed to having here in NY such as, night life, convenience and accessibility. We are also willing to get a pay cut for a better quality of life. There is too much competition here in NY, and the culture is too wrapped up around advertisements. We are just looking for a more simplistic way of life.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Racism exists in every state, but IMO there's a lot LESS of it in COLO, since most of us are transplants from somewhere else.

Your work means that you belong in the Front Range of COLO, i.e., the I-25 corridor from Fort Collins to Pueblo.

Areas along I-25 with colleges, in a relative order of size, are: Boulder, Denver, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, Golden and Pueblo. This is based on my assumption that most of your work is at the higher cost major colleges and universities, not local community colleges and those smallish for-profit outfits.

The I-70 corridor is the main entry into the mountains for snowboarding, meaning Golden / Boulder / Denver metro area.

US-50 from Pueblo gets one into some mountain sports areas and so does Hwy-24 from COLO SPGS which can get one into some of the main snow sports areas.

Denver metro area has a decent Asian community, at least one large Asian market, Dragon Boat races each year, etc.

Colorado Springs has some Asian influence and one Asian market, mostly due to Fort Carson and the USAF bases here.

Denver metro area is the big dog for just about everything in the state, and has lots of culture, arts, music and fine schools in most areas.

We usually recommend renting for a year before buying, there's so much to see and learn. Padmapper.com is good for finding rentals, which is a tight market here now and with rising prices.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your reply. This is some really helpful information.

I am indeed looking for fully developed Universities, or reputable colleges (even if it's a community college). I am most likely going to aim for Denver or Colorado Springs. However, I heard some negative things about the part of Colorado that mostly consists of military personnel or young GI's. Would you happen to know where I'm talking about?

I prefer to reside somewhere that's more family oriented and consists of professionals. Most importantly, a safe neighborhood. Do you think I can find a decent 1 bedroom apartment for around 700-800/month range? I am currently living in a small studio apartment in Brooklyn, NY. I'm sure for that price, you can get a bigger space.

I recently found some jobs pertaining to my field around Central Colorado and Greenwood Village. How far is that from Denver? I'm presuming that I definitely MUST own a car?

As for cost of living, I heard Boulder, Denver, and Colorado Springs is pretty high. But it might be substantially cheaper compared to New York City.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
We're tired of the fast paced life, the rush-hours, stressful commuting, superficial people, overpopulation, and the list goes on.
While not quite as crazy as NYC, Denver still has all of these things that you mention. It may not be the best place for you. In fact, all of Colorado has this myth of being 'laid back', but it is not. Things are very fast-paced and stressful, whether you live in the city or a resort town.

Not to dissuade you from Colorado, but have you considered the south? IMO, southern culture is far more 'laid back' than west-coast culture (We are a thousand miles from the ocean but still have a culture like L.A.).

Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Keith, Fort Carson is home to about 30,000 or more Infantry soldiers, a young vibrant bunch of guys with a lot of testosterone, plus many thousands of USAF types who also reside here. There are a few issues or rowdiness now and then, usually late at night, usually downtown, usually after liberal use of social spirits.

That's not a problem for anyone but a few bar owners, police and the MPs from Carson. The city is fine and a good place to live. We have UCCS and private, pricy Colorado College here, plus Pikes Peak Community College. Rte 24 leads up to the high country, nearest ski/boarding areas being about a 2-hour drive.

Padmapper.com is good for finding apartments and SFH rentals; your price range is best met in COLO SPGS, with Denver well higher and Boulder even higher.

I let the Denver posters help with the Greenwood Village aspects.

C.O.L. here in most of COLO should be well lower than most anything in/near NYC.

Google for Cost of Living sites and you'll see how COLO and its metro areas rate.

Housing prices are best checked on realtor.com

In COLO SPGS, one can search on ppar.com for a map-based local home sales and/or rentals search.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Although you make a great point about the South, I love winters in Colorado. One of the many reasons why I want to move there is because of their great mountains. Having said that, I wouldn't mind the fast-paced life, as much as I dislike the overcrowded subways and sidewalks in NYC. Although I totally understand that there will be drawbacks in CO, I think living in CO for me personally, would be an upgrade.

I'm just sick of the city life!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:40 PM

Lots of good "suburbs" around Denver. The light rail system is busy but it sure isn't NYC or DC crowded.

You really need to visit to get a feel for it.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Padmapper.com is good for finding apartments and SFH rentals; your price range is best met in COLO SPGS, with Denver well higher and Boulder even higher.

That's what I was thinking too. Colorado Springs seems like it would be a good fit. Denver would be my next option. How far is Springs from Denver? Is Colorado Springs a lively area? Do most residents in Colorado Springs drive to Denver for shopping, entertainment, etc?

I will definitely look more into Springs.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ftyKeith View Post
That's what I was thinking too. Colorado Springs seems like it would be a good fit. Denver would be my next option. How far is Springs from Denver? Is Colorado Springs a lively area? Do most residents in Colorado Springs drive to Denver for shopping, entertainment, etc?

I will definitely look more into Springs.

Thanks!
Denver is 60-90 minutes north, depending on where in the metro area of 3M that one wishes to go.

COLO SPGS has all the shopping one needs and a good deal of entertainment, but Denver has even more and especially the entertainment and shows. An open air concert at Red Rocks will be an awesome experience.

You could live fine in either area. Myself and just about everyone else on here will tell you to get a job in any of these areas just so you can get out of NYC and get here, then once you are here you can find your heart's desire and work towards it.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ftyKeith View Post
Although you make a great point about the South, I love winters in Colorado. One of the many reasons why I want to move there is because of their great mountains. Having said that, I wouldn't mind the fast-paced life, as much as I dislike the overcrowded subways and sidewalks in NYC. Although I totally understand that there will be drawbacks in CO, I think living in CO for me personally, would be an upgrade.

I'm just sick of the city life!
The problem is that in Colorado--like most states--the only way to earn a decent living is in a city. If you have a $70k job in NYC, then you can get the same job in Denver for $50k and also a cheaper cost of living, but you're still living the city life. But if you move to a mountain town outside of the Front Range, expect no more than a $30k job, which can be hard to swallow by someone from NYC.

But I don't want to scare you, Denver definitely has a lot more freedom than NYC. You can actually own a car (or many cars) and be able to park them easily. And you can also buy a single-family home within a few miles of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado