Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,647 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm looking to travel to Colorado for my wedding, specifically because we want to be married under the Perseid Meteor Shower on August 12, 2016 and we feel Colorado would be one of the most beautiful places to do this. Because we live in NY, we will have like less than 30 people who will travel with us. I'm looking for a beautiful outdoor setting for an evening wedding, followed by very small reception somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking? I have NO idea how to begin, so any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 04:24 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,353,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelynn316 View Post
Hey all. I'm looking to travel to Colorado for my wedding, specifically because we want to be married under the Perseid Meteor Shower on August 12, 2016 and we feel Colorado would be one of the most beautiful places to do this. Because we live in NY, we will have like less than 30 people who will travel with us. I'm looking for a beautiful outdoor setting for an evening wedding, followed by very small reception somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking? I have NO idea how to begin, so any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Edgewood Inn
A private estate near Woodland Park that you can book for exclusive weddings and other events…
There is a nice patio with a good view of th sky on the upper level, but it is wooded property so it won't be 360° unobstructed.

August is a somewhat questionable star-viewing month along much of the front range and in the high country due to our monsoon-season weather patterns. September and May may be a bit more reliable in Southern Colorado and elsewhere. Here is some good resources for finding out more about optimal night sky viewing locations and times of year (mostly specific to SoCO though)… Colorado Springs Astronomical Society and Rocky Mountain Star Stare

Old 09-16-2014, 05:18 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,951,915 times
I'd inquire about a package deal from the resort hotels in Vail or Beaver Creek. You'd have access to some pretty nice outdoor wedding venues, and could head over to some of the outdoor areas with fairly minimal light pollution. You might even head back to Vail Pass or over to Dillon Res; Perhaps a boat rental would be an interesting vantage point on the lake.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:26 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,105,183 times
It's a lovely romantic idea, to be married "under the Perseid meteor shower" - but it's not necessarily practical. The best time to view the meteor shower is after at least 10 pm when it is dark. And as otterprods said, August is not always the best time for stargazing or meteor watching. More often than not it is cloudy. This year the meteors were washed out by the full moon.
That said, it is good to be in the mountains far from city lights.
Estes Park would be a good location: Estes Park, CO Wedding Sites for Romantic Mountain Weddings Outdoors as well as Indoors
Devil's Thumb Ranch would be fantastic (but your budget would have to be pretty big): Devil's Thumb Ranch - Colorado Resort and Spa
Other ideas: Colorado Mountain Weddings - Wedding Venues and Sites in the Rocky Mountains
Colorado Mountain Wedding Venues - Our Top 10 List for 2013 - Calluna Events

Old 09-16-2014, 05:41 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,353,877 times
I have no vested interested in that Edgewood place, but was just up there for a wedding and it really is tailor made for what the OP wants…

1. Open deck for sky viewing? Check
2. Affordable for smaller groups? probably (depending on budget of course)
3. On-site lodging? Check
4. Add'l affordable lodging nearby? Check (in Woodland park)
5. Close proximity to good size airport? Check (COS)

The good news is that availability should be easier in optional viewing months (May, Sept) but fox purse that's not when your meteor shower is. It's also available weeknights so that may be an option.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:43 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,918,628 times
There are a bazillion places to view the stars in Colorado; I would suggest somewhere with little light pollution and wide open skies, and maybe some place spiritual. Without a doubt I would suggest the San Luis Valley as a possible location, since it's about as good as it gets for stargazing. How open to alternative arrangements are you? With less than 30 people you could get pretty creative. You could climb to the top of the dunes at Great Sand Dunes National Park if you wanted (open 24 hours to hiking) and camp there at the group camping spots. Or if you wanted more sophisticated accommodations, consider having the event at one of the local hot springs and lodges. Two really good ones I can suggest: Joyful Journey Hot Springs - http://www.joyfuljourneyhotsprings.com/ or Valley View Hot Springs - OLT - Natural Rock Ponds. In any case, since you're already planning the event around something funky and cool like a meteor shower, I would suggest thinking outside the box. There are a lot of smaller, out of the way places in the state that could make the experience truly special!

Last edited by bartonizer; 09-21-2014 at 11:54 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 12:16 AM

481 posts, read 1,294,206 times
^The SLV is a great suggestion. It's arid enough that of just about any place in Colorado, it's the least likely to have cloud coverage. As I read through your post I couldn't help but think of Crestone as a good place to do a small ceremony as well. There are some accommodations as well as vacation rentals in Crestone, you have a spectacular backdrop and it's pretty dark in that area. The upper Rio Grande around Creede would be a nice place as well, in that area.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:00 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,784,896 times
Ridgway State Park has lots of weddings there. I would recommend them.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:11 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,983,811 times
Just got married in Telluride, pretty fantastic location and ours was a small wedding

Hard to find a better backdrop for a wedding

Old 09-23-2014, 01:32 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,918,628 times
We went to a wedding at the San Sophia Overlook a couple years ago and I have to agree- I can't imagine a prettier backdrop anywhere. My wife and I were so inspired that we tried to find something close for ours. We didn't want to copy their exact spot, so we had our wedding at the Washington Pass Overlook on the North Cascades Highway in WA. https://northwesternimages.files.wor...anorama-em.jpg

But to the OP's question, I'd still go with the San Luis Valley, since it's wide open and has a lesser chance of cloudy skies, especially in the middle of summer. Plus, there's just something about the area that just lends itself to stargazing. Heck, I suppose they could event host the wedding on the UFO Watchtower in the middle of the valley! UFO Watchtower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado