Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 06:10 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,725,307 times

Advertisements

We are nordic skate skiers, as well as avid downhill skiers, so need a town with both a groomed nordic & downhill.

We also need to be near Taos area, since we have a cabin on the high road.

We have visited & stayed in both towns, more so Leadville. The two towns appear to be a bit opposite, so it's an extreme choice.

Any incite into the two would be appreciated as it's hard to get a clear picture from just staying in motels & talking to a few locals.

We are aware of the superfund issue with Leadville. We'll be renting, so aren't concerned about house prices in Crested Butte.

Oh and we are retired so don't need jobs, although I do substitute teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 AM

3,604 posts, read 9,027,628 times
Are you looking to move there year round or visit for extended periods during the ski season?

Either way, for me, Crested Butte wins hands down. It's one of my favorite towns in Colorado.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Thanks, dogmama, it would be year-round.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,194,446 times
So different in so many ways. Also, kind of funny, as the crow flies, they are relatively close to one another but those 10 or 12 peaks between them, forcing the spread in highways, makes them seem so much farther apart.

Something that stands out to me, based on the 2011 data, Leadville (pop 2600) is actually bigger than CB (about 1500 pop) BUT, to me, it's always feels like CB is bigger than Leadville.

Pros for CB:
Cute, thriving town that IS its own, well-thought of, ski resort unlike Leadville
One of the better ski destinations considering terrain and precip in relation to crowds
Much faster access to the San Juans

Pros for Leadville:
Not very isolated, Denver close as well as all of the 1-70 resorts. Access to bigger shopping in Dillon/Silverthorn.
Access to Independence Pass/Aspen during warmer months.
Slightly closer to Taos, driving-wise

If I had to choose based on just the towns, CB, hands down. There's a reason why it's a destination all its own. Leadville is more of a pass through on a day trip type of place; whereas, CB seems to attract more residents who have flexible work options (work from home etc.) who place a high priority of leading a ski/mountain town lifestyle.

Good luck to you. Choosing between the two is not a bad problem to have.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM

Great insight (not incite as I sleepily posted LOL)

It really helps to get others' input.

The downhill skiing is better at CB then Cooper & Copper is a drive. Why the hell would they have a Cooper & Copper just to confuse me!! However, CB $1400 season pass per person is frightful ! Copper is $369 each & Cooper is $309 each. The free ski shuttle from town to mt is a plus at CB.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:28 AM

3,604 posts, read 9,027,628 times
Holy Cow! $1400 is outrageous. I know none of the Vail Resort Properties were on your list but the Epic Pass is under $700 for unlimited use with no blackout dates. It might be worth looking at some of the areas it services to see it they fit your needs. Vail Season Pass | Vail Ski Passes & Ski Pass Deals | Vail.com

The Cooper and Copper thing has always made me nuts too.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,194,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Holy Cow! $1400 is outrageous. I know none of the Vail Resort Properties were on your list but the Epic Pass is under $700 for unlimited use with no blackout dates. It might be worth looking at some of the areas it services to see it they fit your needs. Vail Season Pass | Vail Ski Passes & Ski Pass Deals | Vail.com

The Cooper and Copper thing has always made me nuts too.
WOW! I, too, am shocked it's so much. I just looked at the list of season pass rates for all of the restorts and it's definitely one of the more expensive.

I guess you have to balance the ski investment (travel time to ski destinations and financial investment) with overall town benefits and attributes for day-to-day living. Tough choice!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 AM

463 posts, read 1,169,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
. The two towns appear to be a bit opposite, .
You get the "Understatement of the Year Award"!

I used to live in Leadville. It is a toxic waste dump, literally and metaphorically. You get what you pay for in life. Have you considered working part time for CBMR for a ski pass?

Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
You get the "Understatement of the Year Award"!

I used to live in Leadville. It is a toxic waste dump, literally and metaphorically. You get what you pay for in life. Have you considered working part time for CBMR for a ski pass?
LOL!

Well now there's a brilliant thought. MrBongo worked as a liftie for years at the volunteer-run ski area of Arctic Valley north of Anchorage. Trouble is, now that he is retired, all he wants to do is telemark ski. I don't know if HE will think it's a brilliant idea LOL.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,662,824 times
If, given the choice, I would definitely pick CB over Leadville. I have friends who lived in Leadville for a few years, and I lived in Fairplay, very similar to Leadville. It does have it's beauty, but it's not a good place to live overall. Our friends left Leadville a few years ago after they had kids and realized they didn't want to raise them there. I think CB has more to offer in terms of an actual town. There are some cute shops and nice restaurants and you can easily get most of what you need in Gunnison if you can't find it in CB. Leadville really doesn't have any of that to offer.

Skiing is far better at CB, than Ski Cooper, too. The season price pass is pretty steep, but the lack of crowds might help to offset that. I wonder too, if they offer a locals discount or early purchase discount. Might be worth an email to inquire. The suggestion to work at the mountain is a good one too. You might see if they offer spouses a complimentary pass as well. I know some resorts do. I have a friend here in Bend that works daycare part time so that she and her husband can get a free pass.

I don't know what the nordic skiing scene is in either of those towns. I am just now getting into nordic myself. But, I would imagine either location offers something.

Last edited by delta07; 04-13-2013 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: added something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado