U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Family relocating from Arizona to Colorado, home purchase within 45 minutes from airport, good school district, small town feel, lots of trees, Golden and Evergreen possibilities, no strip malls

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:50 PM

169 posts, read 691,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishaz88 View Post
This is all great info. Now for my next question..... I was told that Evergreen has severe weather in the winter, and it makes it difficult to get out of your own home. Is this true??
No, unless a storm of the century hits. Last year was ranked something like 6 or 7 most severe winter ever since they have been keeping track and I didn't have any problems. Once I snow throwed the drive, the county road was all ready plowed and I drove to Denver. This is after a 3' snow so it takes a bunch to actually get snowed in. It almost never happens. Now some people may choose to stay home (while their kids are sledding in the back yard :-) ) but to be physically held hostage in your house is extremely rare. We usally get around 8' of snow a year, last season we doubled that easy. Unusual but it happens.

Compared to Denver and the surrounding suburbs, Evergreen will get more snow but they are much more prepared for it. They plow all the roads, even residential. Down the hill gets less snow but when they do get a big snow, they don't plow much, but it doesn't happen that often. Lots of times you won't have any problems driving until you reach Denver.

Evergreen is everything you want but..........it is 50min to 1hr 15min to the airport depending on where you are in Evergreen in relation to I70.

EDIT: After reading Mike's post I just wanted to add something. I do know someone in Evergreen who is a pilot so commuting to the airport can be done if living in an area like Evergreen means that much to you. I personally wouldn't do it if I had to do it everyday, but once a week wouldn't be a problem at all.

Last edited by High Altitude; 10-30-2007 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 03:59 PM

17,109 posts, read 23,439,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishaz88 View Post
.... We are looking for an area that is about 45 minutes from the airport....a good school district ....an area that has the small town feel, a lot of land, mountains, lots of trees, water, ect. We are planning on spending around 850K.
It will take some searching to get lots of trees & mountains w/in 45 mins of DIA, which is on the prairie well east of Denver. Golden may be a good fit. I've been Golden many times and it's nice, schools are Jefferson County, which I recall are very good, best if you use the search tool to dig out prior threads, or visit the national school rating sites.

Parker, CO has a good bit of wooded area, but is east of I-25, not in foothills or mountains. I know a family there, the husband is a senior pilot / instructor for a major airline at DIA. He commutes often w/out much trouble, though the E-470 toll road can get pricey if one commutes a lot.

Good luck in your quest.
s/Mike

Old 10-30-2007, 04:05 PM

259 posts, read 1,011,321 times
I would agree with High Altitude, that a place like evergreen is more better prepared for snow than most of the front range cities are.

Normally, the front range doesn't get enough snow to have dedicated equipment or plow drivers ... so a good number of them only go out when its really bad and are not as skilled at the folks plowing all the time in the mountains.

We used to have a place in Winter Park and you have to drive over 11,xxx foot pass to get there ... but it was so well plowed and sanded ... that 90% of the time, it would be better than what you'd find in Denver.

Last winter was unusual and the worst I've seen in almost 30 years ... not typical.

I actually had a snowplow down my tiny cul de sac in the outskirts of Castle Rock on the very first night of the big blizzard (#1) in mid December. This was a 36" snow, maybe more. When we had a similar snow in Highlands Ranch a few years earlier, it took the County almost 5 days to get to my much larger street and we were snowed in. Castle Rock decided to buy a bunch more snow removal equipment this summer, to be more prepared. I already thought they were excellent. They also bought plows for the heavy duty town trucks and will use them to plow more streets than last year. I'm impressed with how well they respond to residents needs. Castle Rock is truly a town on the rise, based on what I'm seeing.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,296 times
[Here it is:
REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=567956 - broken link)#

Here is a nice one in Keene Ranch:
REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc. (http://www.recolorado.com/Search/propertyDetail.asp?mls_number=582395 - broken link)#

Now being from Phoenix I have never seen an indoor pool. Now that is really cool. That would make the transition for my kids a whole lot easier!!
Thanks for all your great information. I just need to narrow things down so when we go out looking at homes I'm not driving all over Colorado. I will be looking at Casle rock thanks to your info.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:51 PM

5,748 posts, read 7,013,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.adams View Post
I have a house up on ridge at 6500' and the weather is definitely a little crazier up there than it is down in town. For example, a couple weeks back, town had a few inches of snow and I had about 10". On several occasions last winter, it would rain or sleet in town and then snow at my house. It all melts quickly, but a difference of 500' is often enough to change rain into snow.
You and I must live nearby. We had quite a bit of snow in that last storm, too. But as you said, it melted very quickly.

I don't find the weather here in Castle Rock (even up on the eastern ridge) at all bad. We do get a fair amount of wind, which can whip up the snow and lower the wind chill, but it's not miserable. I actually like the breeze, especially during the summer months. It keeps the air fresh and mitigates the heat.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 PM

259 posts, read 1,011,321 times
formercali ... I agree with your comments 100% ... wind if definately a part of living in Colorado ... and CR is no different. THe wind sure results in clean air and great visibility. On a windy day, we can see 40-50 miltes ... and the mountains are gorgeous!

To me, the weather in Castle Rock is nearly perfect. We get 4 seasons per year and the lower temps mean that the summer isn't ever oppresive here, even when they are having 99,100,102 in denver ... its not bad here.

trishaz, yes, pools in CO are really uncommon ... esp. indoor ones. The outdoor ones just are not practical for most, as the season is so short. And heating outdoors would cost a fortune. So an indoor pool would be really cool. My wife and I drove by that house in Christy Ridge a month or two back ... and with 10 acres, you really can hardly see the house from the road. The driveway might require a snowplow to maintain in the winter, or just 4WD. The views appear as though they would be spectacular, as the back of the house looks down a valley and towards pikes peak. Christy Ridge might technically be considered in Sedalia, Sedalia or Castle Rock -- not much difference. Christy Ridge and Sedalia are pretty horse-friendly areas, so neighbors will often own their own horses and ride them around the neighborhood.

I would suggest using the site: Zillow - Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information to value properties and get views of the prorty from the air ... and if you search on "Douglas County Assessor", you will find a link where you can enter in the address (#, like 1234 for 1234 jeff street) and see what the assessed value is, what the property taxes are and the square footage and sales history. You can also view a parcel map and see what the adjacent land is and who owns it. Also, you can view the parcels for free down at the Town of Castle Rock building. Take a drive down Wilcox and Perry streets in Castle Rock. Its a charming little downtown. I like using recolorado site, as I can search by street or within a certain subdivision very easily. Keene ranch is also really nice, but out of my price range, for sure.

I also sometimes bring up the yahoo real estate page and click on home values and you type in an address ... and it gives you 3 free appraisals (one is zillow). Thats a great tool for making sure the places is worth what they are asking. RIght now a lot of places are selling below appraised value, so there are some bargains to be found if your patient.

Good luck and I hope you find something you like ... I sure wish I could afford the homes you'll be looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado