U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM

14,505 posts, read 22,361,359 times

Advertisements

Well I pulled my numbers from City-Data ( not the forum portion) and from my personal experience since I've lived in or been tied to Pueblo County in some way since 1974.

For Pueblo to jump from 90K in about 1960 to about 106K in the present is pretty much no growth at all in my book.

I see a few thread titles in the Colorado/Denver/Springs subforums asking how the economy is here and my take on that now is this; it's related to this horrible drought for much of Colorado.

If you watched the news tonight, the Arkansas Valley is in horrible shape this year as they aren't going to be able to plant because of it.

Due to this, no groceries for the local economy. Even Denver will feel the pinch and groceries are going to shoot up sky high from what they already are.

To take Pueblo and Canon City as they are now is great. Enjoy them both as best as you can. But now is not the time to go bragging about how wonderful Pueblo is with embellishment, exaggeration and fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,971,833 times
I am not exaggerating the Pueblo MSA is officially 160,000 people and most of those people live in the center part of the county and all of them shop in the city of Pueblo.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM

2,832 posts, read 4,396,042 times
Since I'm more of a city guy, I'd take Pueblo over Canon City any day. But the good news about Pueblo is, you can enjoy alot of amentities of a city while still maintaining that small town vibe. The mountains in Beulah are only like a 20 min drive.

I'm sorry, i just can't picture living in a backwoods small town with little restaurant and shopping options. Sounds boring to me.

But to each his own

Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 AM

10,642 posts, read 11,039,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well I pulled my numbers from City-Data ( not the forum portion) and from my personal experience since I've lived in or been tied to Pueblo County in some way since 1974.

For Pueblo to jump from 90K in about 1960 to about 106K in the present is pretty much no growth at all in my book.

I see a few thread titles in the Colorado/Denver/Springs subforums asking how the economy is here and my take on that now is this; it's related to this horrible drought for much of Colorado.

If you watched the news tonight, the Arkansas Valley is in horrible shape this year as they aren't going to be able to plant because of it.

Due to this, no groceries for the local economy. Even Denver will feel the pinch and groceries are going to shoot up sky high from what they already are.

To take Pueblo and Canon City as they are now is great. Enjoy them both as best as you can. But now is not the time to go bragging about how wonderful Pueblo is with embellishment, exaggeration and fantasy.
I agree, especially with the bolded, which is why I looked up the data on the growth curve. I also think both Pueblo and Canon City are good places, each with their own set of advantages over the other. A place doesn't have to be a big city in order to be a good place.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,971,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Look what happened in the 1980's in Pueblo with the steel industry, Alpha Beta company and the Pueblo Army Base. In fact not only did Pueblo lose the momentum it had in the 50's and 60's but it lost population in the 80's. I have seen plans for highrises that were suppose to have been built in downtown in the 70's that got canceled as the economy began to crash here. So the fact we are now at our peak population when so many manufacturing towns are not says a lot.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 PM

Yeah it's booming with people, but a record low of them are working.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 318 times
The white water park is not bad and just got lottery money for a huge upgrade with the countries largest wave shaper planned. Will be pretty awesome. The river trail goes out to lake Pueblo from town and is a nice wooded ride along the Arkansas. I have lived in some pretty nice places like Aspen and Crested Butte but I could never afford to buy a home like I got in Pueblo. You can ski at monarch or Backcountry in the area if there is snow. The Wet mountains are pretty cool. Lots of mountain biking. The lake Pueblo trails are technical and are open year round. I think it should be the city for ski town refugees. The food is great and cheap. There is always good music downtown. The downtown is very attractive and is undergoing constant improvement. There are transients an heroine addicts etc. Denver is no better and much more crowded and expensive. It's not the place to be but those places just turn into places for rich second homeowners, trustafarians and clueless slaves who are happy to have beer and sleep in a closet.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:27 AM

127 posts, read 42,968 times
I prefer Canon City. If you want to see real trees, you just have to drive west up the Arkansas River. Pueblo is out on the plains - hot, dry, breezy, and treeless. My impression is Canon City has an older population. We looked at it as a possible retirement area. During the summer though, Canon City does get jammed up with tourist traffic.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:51 PM

I wouldn't say Cañon city gets jammed up with tourist traffic.

I would say that town has ridiculous frontage roads that make it impossible to service the businesses there and difficult for folks off I-25 to make their way into the mountains from that town.

Colorado City, Rye, and San Isabel have even realer trees than Cañon City but I don't see them bragging about it.

Also, Cañon City isn't quite in the mountains just yet.

They are in the rock, laden with many prisons. Not that there's anything wrong with this, I like prisons, especially from my vantage point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado