U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 AM

13 posts, read 29,827 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide between Pueblo and Canon City. I've been all over these forums and the internet checking them out.

Pueblo sounds great. It sounds like they have a bit more town events and activities. The size is about the biggest we'd like. My only issue is the proximity to the mountains. It looks like a good 30-45 minutes to any trails and hiking. On the other hand Lake Pueblo looks sounds like a great place to explore that'll hold us over for the quick nearby outdoors fix. Fishing, camping, biking, hiking(walking really if it's not gaining elevation). What do you outdoors enthusiasts think about Pueblo. Do you wish you were closer to the Mts for more afternoon hikes?

Canon City sounds like it's the fix. It's still on the River and right next to the mountains. More quick afternoon hiking options and closer to skiing and snowboarding. I really like Canon City. The city is a good size for my wife and I though on the smaller end of the spectrum of what we'd prefer. We're both originally from Eastern WA from a tiny town (3-5000 pop).

Pueblo sounds like it might be a little better for my wife though as far as getting out. I'll be working in Louisiana half the month so my wife will be on her own with our baby. It sounds like there'll be more opportunities for her to get established. Eventually she'll start massaging part time again. Our baby is only 7 weeks old so she's waiting a bit.

Like I said, the outdoors thing is my main concern. How do you folks feel in Pueblo vs what Canon City has to offer? I know to get anywhere deep in the mts or go on any longer back county trips it's going to take some drive time anyway. Where do you go skiing/snowboarding from Pueblo? How long of a drive is it? Is there somewhere close enough to go every weekend in the winter or is if more of a few times a season drive.

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM

603 posts, read 733,002 times
I don't live in Pueblo, I am in Colorado Springs but I have spent a fair amount of time in Pueblo. Pueblo has a lot to offer but as you have seen by your research it does put you further out on the plains and away from the mountains. If those outdoor activities you mentioned are important to you then Canon City is better located for easy access. Particularly for hiking trails and camping. You mentioned Lake Pueblo State Park, there is camping there. In my opinion recreation at Lake Pueblo is much more geared towrds water sports. If you have a boat or jet skies you will have a blast. For tent camping it is a bit hot and exposed. Not really a spot I would pick to camp and hike. However if you have an RV with air conditioning and a watercraft it would be a great place to beat the heat. Again this is just my personal experience. The only boats we have are white water rafts and kayaks which are not suited to large reservoirs

Edit: one more note for Lake Pueblo, it is a state park so there is an entrance fee everytime you go. You may want to buy an annual state parks pass; if you go to state parks quite a bit it will pay for itself in a short time and we have over 50 state parks in Colorado.

Last edited by StarrySkiesAbove; 04-23-2013 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,225,246 times
If you are renting, probably either would work as a temporary base to figure out where you want to be more permanently. I suspect you will find more options in rentals in Pueblo. I love Canon City, and I often make the drive there from Colorado Springs taking the 115 - pretty drive.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM

55 posts, read 71,757 times
When we moved back from Richmond, also looked at both PBlo an CC. We really like CC, in fact we still drive over to hang out and grab a beer at the Owl, but decided on PBlo. It has worked out nicely. Both the wife and I are more rural oriented, so either town was a good fit for us. We chose Pblo for the convenience and housing, among other things. Hwy 50 traffic stinks in CC during the summer. There is more in Pblo for my wife and I to do. Pblo also has IB Magnet school for the kids. I would suggest maybe renting in either for a year and spending time in both towns before committing - real estate is still pretty hit or miss here. Small(er) town Southern CO takes some getting used to. If we had it to do over again, we'd like to be out in the county on the 'lanes'(east of town on the Arkansas).

Other than the occasional afternoon hike (walk for us), we tend to drive 1+ hrs to get anywhere cool (weather and otherwise). I think CC has us beat for this. Temple Canyon has some good hiking close to town, Shelf road (premiere sport climbing) and Phantom Canyon rock, Beaver Creek W/A is also very nice but remote... Oh! there is this crazy abandoned power plant up Beaver Creek (down from Spinney) that takes a murderous overnight hike in, but worth it. Closer drive to Teller and Chaffee counties (but only by 35 min!). But man, there is very little to do in that town (comparability). Pblo has the mountain park in Beulah which is good, as well as the Nature Trail below the dam. Both, we've been to frequently and starting to get stale (winter blues). We've been spending a lot of time at the Zoo lately.

Monarch is the closest skiing to both and only 35 min difference (2hrs from Pblo). Crowded old Summit County is probably pushing 3 hours vs 2 and some change from CC. Before I was old, married and broke I preferred skiing the Southern Rockies - Crested Butte, Taos, Wolf Creek, Telluride (crowds and cost) - all are over-nighters from either.

Good luck!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:27 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,959,783 times
Both towns are nice and the big factor is size. Pueblo is 160,000 people and Canon City is about 15,000 people. You do have to drive to get to the mountains but its not bad.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 PM

14,498 posts, read 22,345,330 times
Pueblo is not 160,000 people. Pueblo is about 105,000 tops and Pueblo West is close to 30,000. Canon City seems like it's at least twice the size or bigger than Pueblo West. There's a fair amount of shopping there, services, and events.

You'd have to have been to both places to understand what I'm saying.

Pueblo is a decent old town with character that's been stagnant as far as growth, jobs, etc. are concerned, but it has a bit to offer considering what else is around. It's not comparison to Colorado as you go from CoSprings to Fort Collins.

Pueblo West is a retirement type overgrown community that has many homes but not much business to support it.

Canon City is more of a stand alone community and it actually rivals Pueblo for a town its size. It feels more like a community of 50,000.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 PM

The Pueblo MSA is about 160,000 people and since most of the people live in the center of the county in one area I have heard people say the population of Pueblo is 160,000 people as it gives people a better feel for what this area is like.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM

14,498 posts, read 22,345,330 times
Pueblo is not 160,000 people Joss!

To say that would be a lie.

Colorado City, Rye and Pueblo West and a number of other small towns out in the county are NOT in Pueblo.

I also know for a fact that Pueblo has not grown much at all if any for over 39 years.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM

In a way you and me are saying the same thing. The Pueblo Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is 160,000 people. Since most of the people live in a relatively small area in the center of the county in and around the city of Pueblo I have often heard people say Pueblo has 160,000 people since the city of Pueblo is really the only shopping and economic hub of the MSA. Its not like Colorado Springs or Denver where you can do most of not all of your shopping in the suburbs the only mall, the only Home Depot, Lows, Best Buy, the better restaurants, the areas only movie theater, and more are all in the city of Pueblo.

Look at this video from PBS. Its a show called Need to Know on Main Streets. That is how it describes Pueblo.

Video: Main Street, Pueblo, CO | Watch Need To Know Online | PBS Video

Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 PM

10,627 posts, read 11,023,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Pueblo is not 160,000 people Joss!

To say that would be a lie.

Colorado City, Rye and Pueblo West and a number of other small towns out in the county are NOT in Pueblo.

I also know for a fact that Pueblo has not grown much at all if any for over 39 years.
Fairly accurate statement. The last really significant growth Pueblo saw was from 1950-1960 when the city jumped from 63,000 to 91,000. From the 1960 census the city has generally seen a growth trend, hitting 100,000 in 1980, but dropping below again in 1990. The 2010 census estimated Pueblo's population to be 106,595 which is an all time high for the city, so that's a positive thing.

It's worth noting to the OP (since Joss insists that Pueblo has 160,000 people) that the city of Pueblo covers 45 square miles and does not have 160,000 people. Pueblo county does have 160,000 people, but they are spread out over about 2400 square miles. So it is somewhat misleading to say that Pueblo has 160,000 people if you are talking about the city, or even the immediate area surrounding it, as a good number of people live in the outlying areas of the county.

(I pulled all those figures from Wikipedia, which cites the official census data.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado