Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:20 AM

18 posts, read 52,577 times

Advertisements

I have finally made up my mind to move to the Durango area after visiting much of the Pacific Coastal, Northwest and Southwest. But like many have posted about Durango, housing can be pricey. Though there are some good deals now I want to rent until Im sure I'll be staying awhile.

Someone in the forum mentioned that most people who work in Durango live elsewhere. I would love to find an affordable but beautiful alternative to Durango if I can. Any ideas? I am semi-retired, work from my computer and need a house with land if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh, and I want to avoid trucking my stuff out there in the snow so what month might it start to snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,764,657 times
When I first visited the western slope one September a few years ago I asked a local when does it start snowing. She said, "now"? I've seen it snow on July 4th, in August, but I think usually around October. The heaviest snow is in the spring. I also asked someone in Silverton if they get much snow there. She answered "we get enough". I didn't understand then what I understand now.

Have you visited Durango? You might want to spend a lot of time there, and ask some of the locals in cafes. And just wander around looking. Good luck to you.

And as always, the mandatory...paging jazzlover.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:14 PM

19 posts, read 65,002 times
I live 10 miles from downtown Durango on Florida Mesa. We lease a house on 5 acres and are talking to the owner about buying it. Expect to pay at least $350,000 for a small acreage property. Bayfield is 20+ miles from Durango and housing is somewhat less. Deals do come up but sell quickly. You are smart to rent for awhile.
Good luck.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:18 PM

15,853 posts, read 34,997,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprich0000 View Post
I have finally made up my mind to move to the Durango area after visiting much of the Pacific Coastal, Northwest and Southwest. But like many have posted about Durango, housing can be pricey. Though there are some good deals now I want to rent until Im sure I'll be staying awhile.

Someone in the forum mentioned that most people who work in Durango live elsewhere. I would love to find an affordable but beautiful alternative to Durango if I can. Any ideas? I am semi-retired, work from my computer and need a house with land if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh, and I want to avoid trucking my stuff out there in the snow so what month might it start to snow?
You might check out Dove Creek. It's a hell of a drive, but I believe the cost of living is somewhat lower since not many people want to live there.

Dolores is another spot, but I imagine since land is in short supply that prices are sky-high.

Nobody wants to live in Ignacio either. You might check that out.

Personally, I'd rather have my toenails pulled out with pliers than live anywhere near Durango, but, hey that's me.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-14-2012, 03:20 PM

8,373 posts, read 8,589,909 times
If you want a town near Durango, most opt for Bayfield. Mancos is the main alternative. If you are just looking for a subdvision near Durango there are tons with different price levels, tree coverage, internet access, water situations, etc.

Dolores is not generally expensive, in fact it is relatively inexpensive for the area and what you get, if you are willing to live that distance from Durango. There are places between Dolores and Durango along Hwy 184 that could be suitable if you want rural instead of a town.

Dove Creek is very cheap but one has to really want a rural / very small town life to choose it.

Ignacio is not that bad, but it is nothing special either.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-14-2012 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Personally, I'd rather have my toenails pulled out with pliers than live anywhere near Durango, but, hey that's me.

20yrsinBranson
Whether you remove toenails by pliers or doctor, it's painful. You must be going for dramatic effect.

OP, how about Pagosa Springs, Chama NM, or Farmington NM?

Old 07-14-2012, 08:31 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
20yrsinBranson wrote: Personally, I'd rather have my toenails pulled out with pliers than live anywhere near Durango, but, hey that's me.

I'd wager a bet that if you were given a chance to reconsider after the first nail was pulled, you just might change your mind. Even the heart of downtown Durango might seem pretty appealing after you felt the pain of that first nail being pulled, along with the thought of having it repeated 9 more times. But hey, that's just me...I've never done pain very well.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 7,986,406 times
I live in Mancos now, lived in Ignacio,bayfield and the florida mesa. bought my 4 br victorian 17 years ago for 85000 and can make it to that zoo called durango faster than any of the previous places I have lived. heck getting to the zoo from Ignacio takes 45 minutes yet from Mancos with not a single light is only 25 minutes. 95% of my work is in the zoo and I gladly cash my checks in Mancos. Durango aint what it was 40 years ago,had one stop light and they turned it off after dark. you are 40 years too late.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
parfleche wrote: you are 40 years too late.

Nonsense! Whoever comes to Durango today is coming at exactly the right time...for that person. The way things were 40 years ago, exists only as a memory. Elevating a memory to a higher status than what is, is a form of insanity.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,113,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
parfleche wrote: you are 40 years too late.

Nonsense! Whoever comes to Durango today is coming at exactly the right time...for that person. The way things were 40 years ago, exists only as a memory. Elevating a memory to a higher status than what is, is a form of insanity.
No place is as it was 40 years ago, for better or worse. A fire took out a block of Main Ave. 38 years ago and destroyed my cousin's saddle shop so that is now just a memory. However, when I visited him a couple years later he was happily going on with his life doing something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado