U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 AM

11,058 posts, read 12,409,431 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Durango. Going to have to visit now and see what it's all about. I saw an episode of House Hunters a few weeks ago, a couple was buying a house in Durango. I forgot what he did, but she was a typical "new age" Colorado girl, had to have an east facing Yoga room so she could sit and "meditate". When I meditate it's called taking an afternoon nap. He didn't want any lawn or plants, nothing to take care of. Anyway, the houses were WAY overpriced, one subdivision that looked like every other subdivision in the country, and some really nice looking older homes close to downtown. They bought the cookie cutter house in the new sub division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 08:48 PM

178 posts, read 488,611 times
I was driven out of Flagstaff by the ever increasing cost of living there. Every time my wife and I saved a thousand to buy a house the price would go up 3 or 4 thousand. Of course utilities, food and the other necessities of life went up too. The only thing that didn't seem to go up much was our wages. What was once a friendly town where I probably knew a thousand or more people by name became a more hostile environment as more and more of the friendly folks left for affordable places and were replaced by people who seemed to be ruder, impatient and didn't have the same sense of community. Someday Mother Nature will get her revenge and the Southwest will be depopulated again as it was in the time of the Hohokam and the Anasazi.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,336,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I've never been to Durango. Going to have to visit now and see what it's all about. I saw an episode of House Hunters a few weeks ago, a couple was buying a house in Durango. I forgot what he did, but she was a typical "new age" Colorado girl, had to have an east facing Yoga room so she could sit and "meditate". When I meditate it's called taking an afternoon nap. He didn't want any lawn or plants, nothing to take care of. Anyway, the houses were WAY overpriced, one subdivision that looked like every other subdivision in the country, and some really nice looking older homes close to downtown. They bought the cookie cutter house in the new sub division.
Durango has become cookie cutter central with most of its same old, same old "ranchettes" safely tucked away in one gated community after another. The only area that retains some of it's old originality is near downtown and even at that, Durango's downtown feels as much like Aspen as it does anything else. If you visit Durango, be sure to bring your $2,000.00 outfits, the ones cleverly designed to appear like what some simple French peasant might wear if he suddenly decided to go off roading in the mountains.

Seriously, you should visit Durango, but for the scenary not the hide-outs of the wealthy. The drive over 550 from Ridgway to Durango is simply spectacular, as I'm sure you've already been told. Now that it's almost May, wild flowers will be starting to appear and the entire amazing SW Colorado Splendors of Nature Show is getting ready for its summer performance.

When you've had your fill of Durango, go back home via Colorado Highway 145 through Rico and Telluride. Take 160 and on the way to Cortez, check out Mesa Verde if you've never seen it before. Pretty amazing place that's worth putting in the time to see. It's about 10 miles from Mesa Verde to Cortez. Skip the Cortez experience and take the right turn onto Highway 145 to Dolores, instead. Continue on 145 through Rico and over Lizard Head Pass. If you are getting resort town withdrawals by then, stop off in Telluride. It has much more historic charm than Durango does, and the setting is Colorado spectacular, as always.

After Telluride continue on down 145 to a "T" junction where 145 turns north toward the little towns of Naturita and Norwood. That drive is another journey in itself. Go home to Ridgway by turning right instead of left at that junction where the two roads meet. I'd suggest taking 2 or 3 days for the jaunt. There's so much to see that you won't want to go home! Lucky for you, you live close enough to come back and explore further anytime you want! Send me a DM when you've figured out what day(s) you're coming out, and if you'd like, I'll meet up with you guys for lunch in either Cortez or Dolores.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM

11,058 posts, read 12,409,431 times
I'll do that. And have been to Four Corners over Lizard Head and through Rico. Just never to Durango itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado