Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,833 times

Advertisements

Well, here I am at a crossroad in life. I recently lost both of my parents and life in my home town has really lost it's luster and just is not the same. I have always been intrested in the CO area and wondering if it's the right time to make a move and turn a new page in life.
I'm 41 years old, married for 15 years. 2 awesome boys, ages 8 & 14. I've been at the same employer for 15 years and am the general manager for almost 10 years. The company has been good to me, but It is heart felt to make this move.
We now live in Winston Salem, NC. This is where my kids and I have all grown up. My wife is origionally from Iowa, but she has also lived in other states.
Winsor & FT. Collins are looking very intresting. Also looked at Wellington. Does anyone have any input on these areas? Are they a good place to raise a family? Schools good? We are outdoor type, hiking, fishing, biking, etc. My boys are very sport inclined as well.
Any input would be great! How is employment for the area?

Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 PM

11,810 posts, read 34,265,174 times
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. Please accept my sincere sympathy.

Maybe getting away and starting anew, will help lift your spirits.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:31 PM

530 posts, read 2,617,437 times
I am sorry to hear about your loss. Let me relate my mid-life move to you. My family and I lived in New Orleans and suffered through Hurricane Katrina. I am 43, my wife 41 , a son 13 and a handicapped daughter who is 10. We knew we could not stay in New Orleans due to the terrible quality of life. We looked at several areas to move to and decide on Colorado. It is not easy to pick up and move in the middle of your life, but all I can say is I wish we had done it sooner!!! Colorado is everything we had hoped for and more. We live in Louisville just south of Boulder. The people are friendly and great, the schools are good and the quality of life is better than we ever had before. I know you are facing a tough decision, but Colorado is a welcoming state and will take you and your family in with open arms. Good luck and remember to follow your heart!

Old 10-11-2006, 03:57 PM

648 posts, read 2,931,591 times
Hey there-

I too am sorry to hear about your parents. You know, with the hobbies that you and your family enjoy, you may want to look at Colorado Springs area. just a thought. SHEP

Old 10-11-2006, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,833 times
Default Thanks for the kind thoughts

I have my resume posted on monster, and sent it to a couple of employers there in the area that we are looking. We plan a trip out to N.Colorado at the end of the year. Maybe before then if I get some interest from a potential employer. I look forward to getting out there and taking it all in.

Steve

Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 PM

11 posts, read 47,063 times
Default My suggestion to you

Being from Northern Colorado, I can say it's grown a lot in the last several years with newcomers that want to escape the hustle and bustle of the east coast, west coast, all over the country..many of them move to Colorado because of the beauty of the state and primarily to "start over". I assume you are at a stage in your life where you want to do that. It's so funny to me that people even know Wellington because just a few years ago the people I talked to would ask me where it was. I know Fort Collins and Wellington like the back of my hand and I prefer Fort Collins to Wellington. That's probably because I am younger, but I find it much prettier than Wellington.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:54 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shennings View Post
I'm 41 years old, married for 15 years. 2 awesome boys, ages 8 & 14. I've been at the same employer for 15 years and am the general manager for almost 10 years. The company has been good to me...

Any input would be great!

1) Do not move anywhere unless there is a job waiting for you there, and you have a Plan B (I would write this in today's economy or if the Dow was 15000 and unemployment was 2.5%). These times are kind of scary; not sure if now is the time for a life changing move.

2) If you move on your dime, figure around 10% of your house price costs out of pocket (real estate commissions, movers, etc) so a $300K home, that's $30K, or another way of looking at it, one college education for the eight year old if invested reasonably.

3) The company has been good to you. You've been promoted. You have a manager's position. You've earned a good reputation with them. Will you be able to leverage all that at a new company, where you'd be an unknown?

4) Denver's a really nice place. I liked it. However, what's wrong with where you're at now? I have heard a lot of very good things about SC. Jobs, mild climate, reasonable housing, I don't know much else though. It's still a big move but what does the move really buy you? Cost of living probably won't be much better (I didn't check).

I know I'm sort of playing devil's advocate but I almost read too much emotion here and too much risk at the big picture. People on this forum are pretty sincere and have tons of good advice. Be careful though of reading what you want to see (the analogy of being told what you want to hear).

Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
Seriously consider the wisdom of Charles, then look at the other side of the coin as well. Do you really want to base the rest of your life on career considerations and money issues? My wife and I decided to throw off the shackles 2.5 years ago and made a move that required career sacrifices and other price tags. We took to the road, not knowing our final destination. Neither of us had a job offer. Throw in several months of unemployment, lower salaries in Colorado, moving expenses, realtor commissions, etc, our net worth is at least $100,000 LESS than it would have been if we would have stayed put. BUT, neither of us would trade our new life in Colorado to recoup the loss of net worth. Our caution to the wind approach may or may not work for you. You'll have to make that determination for yourself. What Charles says is indeed very real, but it's not the whole picture.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I too, am sorry for the loss of your parents. It's a strange, new world out there after you have been "orphaned". That said, I agree with Charles.

I have long advised people to have the job or at least serious job possibilities before moving here, especially if moving with kids. I would be even more emphatic today. I saw a show on CNN yesterday that advised not quitting a job right now. I know, it's just one person's opinion, but it's something to thik about. That's not to say you can't look for jobs, even come out here on your dime and look around.

I would add, I have two neighbors in their 50s who just got laid off in the past few months. Neither are working again, and they live here and have help from an out-placement agency. It's a jungle out there!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,221,477 times
Guys, if you check the date of the OP, that post was from TWO YEARS ago. I'm afraid he's never going to see your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado