Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,008,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILFlatlander View Post
So the question is, could you afford it, and would that be a net positive from where you are now?
No...not yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:23 PM

369 posts, read 962,377 times
Yes, my wife and I relocated from CA and miss the Pacific quite a bit.

The funny thing is that until we had kids and our visits back to CA were trimmed back, we saw the ocean more than when we lived there. When we lived there it was always a hassle to battle traffic and the crowds so we never really went. After we relo'd and went back for visits, we'd make sure we hit the beach at least once.

Of course, when I lived a few miles from the ocean I saw it a lot more than when it was an hour or so away...

*sigh*

Old 10-31-2007, 03:34 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_hacker View Post
Yes, my wife and I relocated from CA and miss the Pacific quite a bit.

The funny thing is that until we had kids and our visits back to CA were trimmed back, we saw the ocean more than when we lived there. When we lived there it was always a hassle to battle traffic and the crowds so we never really went. After we relo'd and went back for visits, we'd make sure we hit the beach at least once.

Of course, when I lived a few miles from the ocean I saw it a lot more than when it was an hour or so away...

*sigh*
This is totally true. Back in the 1970s I LIVED on Zuma beach - taking the beach bus or thumbing it every day from the SFV to Zuma. It's only a matter of time until the doctor tells me I have skin cancer.

In the past five years I 've been to the beach maybe four times, and two of those times were on vacation back to California.

Just depends on your circumstances.

I know this sounds crazy, but if I went to the beach today, I'd be bored in 15 minutes.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:54 PM

51 posts, read 243,272 times
I live 5 miles from the beach (Georgia coast) and haven't been to the beach in 3 years. I would not miss it one bit.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
I'll take it one step further: Southern California, great weather, beaches, sunny days in the 70s in January and February. So what do most people do on a beautiful sunny day at lunch time? They sit at their PCs, read the newspaper, or play cards with their workmates. What about Sunday afternoon in February, 72 degrees? Let's sit inside and go online or watch sports on TV or rent the latest DVD with the hottest stars in them, or go to a mall or go to the movies.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 PM

357 posts, read 1,281,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
God Yes! there is just something about looking over the ocean at sunset or just in general that really gives me a calm feeling.. I have yet to experience anything like that here. I suppose its cause the ocean is involves every sense of your body, sight, sound, smell, touch stuff like that.... I wanna go on vacation....
wow, I was about to write this very quote, lol. we moved here from CA just 6 months ago.

I love sitting on the beach, watching the waves roll in and out...very soothing. since I had access to a car at 16 I'd jump in and drive there, sit and relax...many dates on the beach...hang with friends there...all my life has been on one coast or the other. this is my first inland stay and it's strange to be landlocked. someone suggested a soundmachine, lol, but I think it will just make me sad.

when I meditate, I always visualize waves rolling on the shore.

yeah, I guess you could say I miss it

Old 10-31-2007, 04:56 PM

260 posts, read 1,434,545 times
I think my wife has a bigger problem with having "4 seasons". In FL she really only had hot and hotter than heck (in my opinion) ... so whenever Fall comes, she's telling me she's 'not ready for it yet'. And by Feb, she's telling me she's had enough.

Personally, growing up in CO ... I look forward to each new season. By the time each season is over with, I'm sick of it and ready for the next one. Now I'm chomping to use my snowblower and tractor snowplow ... crazy as that might sound.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:03 PM

60 posts, read 478,841 times
Default Bodega Bay.....

Hey, FormerCalifornian! I grew up in Santa Rosa and we also loved going to the bay. We would find abolone, which is super expensive now, and take it home and saute it with butter and garlic. Oh my Dad! We are moving to Evergreen this Spring. Can't wait!

Old 10-31-2007, 06:14 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,008,849 times
Hey Alexis! I used to live in Rohnert Park, right across from Sonoma State.

Mmmmm...abalone. We have a friend who dives all the time, and he would sometimes share. I used to worry terribly whenever he went (remember the great white shark attack?), but it never stopped me from asking if he had any extras.

Did you ever go to the Wednesday Night Market? My kids really miss it, especially the bouncy houses and pesto penne from the Pasta King booth. Yum!

As far as Bodega Bay, I have only four words: Lucas Wharf Clam Chowder.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:43 AM

60 posts, read 478,841 times
Default The Tides.......

I don't remember the Wednesday Night Market but my parents would take us to the old church and Inn where Hitchcock filmed "The Birds" and we ate at The Tides a lot. Good times, good times..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: